The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 321
Original post by Official.One

lol the university of essex, I dont think anyone from my course (final year econs) managed to secure an intern

That's exactly what I was thinking aswell. Thanks anyway
Original post by *Hakz*
That's exactly what I was thinking aswell. Thanks anyway

but saying that the best of us managed to get offers from the top 6, due to our department strength...but overall uni rep damages our prospects of landing a top job straight after graduation, although a friend of mine got into Risk at GS last year after graduating from Essex
Reply 323
Original post by KLL
Lawfirm's offices in London don't do law abroad, they got regional offices for that. IB doesn't work like that. So your comparison doesn't hold.

A lot of the non-white people you will find at those univeristies are non-britsh. Very few foreigners care about doing law in the UK and most probably aren't even allowed to work for the UK civil service. They do however care about doing IB in the UK, as it is not bound by national boarders.
I'm sure if you only looked at people with british citizenship at IBs, the % of non-whites will sink drastically. During my last internship i can recall only 2 british guys who weren't white.

Yep.

I think this is correct.

Only have to look at LSE with 55% non UK students and UCL with 30%?

Most IS would aspire toward IB more than law and CS as you have pointed out
Reply 324

but saying that the best of us managed to get offers from the top 6, due to our department strength...but overall uni rep damages our prospects of landing a top job straight after graduation, although a friend of mine got into Risk at GS last year after graduating from Essex

This is exactly why I thought that Essex economics graduates might have a chance. The Economics/Politics department is one of strongest in the country but I guess the overall reputation diminishes the positives.

That's reassuring however :biggrin:

Also, are you in your final year at Essex?
Original post by *Hakz*
This is exactly why I thought that Essex economics graduates might have a chance. The Economics/Politics department is one of strongest in the country but I guess the overall reputation diminishes the positives.

That's reassuring however :biggrin:

Also, are you in your final year at Essex?

yeah 3rd year econs, I take it you're at Essex too then?
Reply 326

yeah 3rd year econs, I take it you're at Essex too then?

Unfortunately not yet. Hoping to start in Sept/October, providing I meet the requirements.

How have you found the econs course so far? (since your 1st year)

Sorry if I'm bothering you.
Original post by *Hakz*
Unfortunately not yet. Hoping to start in Sept/October, providing I meet the requirements.

How have you found the econs course so far? (since your 1st year)

Sorry if I'm bothering you.

its been alright - teaching is actually great as some of the staff are very helpful, but there are others that are useless lol
If you want to further yourself for after essex, make sure you take the BSc and not the BA and that you take all maths and stats components - and if you want to master in finance, take microeconomic based modules that concentrate on markets and competitions!
Reply 328

its been alright - teaching is actually great as some of the staff are very helpful, but there are others that are useless lol
If you want to further yourself for after essex, make sure you take the BSc and not the BA and that you take all maths and stats components - and if you want to master in finance, take microeconomic based modules that concentrate on markets and competitions!

Thanks a lot mate. I've also been looking over the website and trying to find out what the course module entails and I absolutely love the way the options are so broad. And yes I will be taking the BSc course instead as I'm planning to do a masters after (hopefully).

Downside is I haven't done maths since GCSE + I dropped the A level after 3 weeks. And now I'm thinking I might completely struggle with the maths/statistics modules. Do you think I can meet up or cope with the maths contents?
Original post by *Hakz*
Thanks a lot mate. I've also been looking over the website and trying to find out what the course module entails and I absolutely love the way the options are so broad. And yes I will be taking the BSc course instead as I'm planning to do a masters after (hopefully).

Downside is I haven't done maths since GCSE + I dropped the A level after 3 weeks. And now I'm thinking I might completely struggle with the maths/statistics modules. Do you think I can meet up or cope with the maths contents?

tbh, uni maths is completely different to IB and Alevel maths...so they teach you from scratch...but they expect you to have a sound quantitative ability, so you should be cool!!
Reply 330

tbh, uni maths is completely different to IB and Alevel maths...so they teach you from scratch...but they expect you to have a sound quantitative ability, so you should be cool!!

Thank God for that then :biggrin:
Also, do you get option modules in the 1st year or are all the modules compulsory?
I would like to take the IB route, and after having offeres from, Exeter, Edinburgh, Birmingham and Sheffield. I chose Exeter marginally over Edinburgh, but after reading this, have I made the wrong decision? Also Exeter is only a BA!
Reply 332
A friend of mine scored herself an internship at Deloitte last summer getting a 1st at the end of year 1st year at City University. She's now starting there next year on £35,000 .. and City isn't exactly top 20! When I say City, I don't even mean CASS either, haha.
Reply 333
But yeah - more the UCAS points I think! Much more difficult unless you've got 300+
Reply 334
I got into JPMAM from UEA ;x
Reply 335
Original post by londonboy
A friend of mine scored herself an internship at Deloitte last summer getting a 1st at the end of year 1st year at City University. She's now starting there next year on £35,000 .. and City isn't exactly top 20! When I say City, I don't even mean CASS either, haha.

Thread title: "Do you have to go to the top 20 universities to be a investment banker?"

"A friend of mine scored herself an internship at Deloitte last summer "

:facepalm2:
Original post by Focus08
Thread title: "Do you have to go to the top 20 universities to be a investment banker?"

:facepalm2:

LMAO
Reply 337
Original post by Jakeh

You are funny.
Original post by Jakeh

hmmm I don't think so, As someone posted above you are doing your AS Levels and then you go on to talk about your interests in "computer gaming".
Reply 339
Original post by epc
You've put your AS expected grades on your Signature. Maybe delete those before you start making things up?

I cannot delete my signature, im second eyar at UEA doing Business Economics sitting on a 2.1. I have been offered an internship at JPMAM this summer :s

Latest

Trending

Trending