The Student Room Group

OCR 21st Century Science Ideas In Context Thread

Made this thread to discuss the ideas in context for Bio, Chem and Physics. I thought users could share practise questions and things they think will come up.

Has anyone else been given their Ideas In Context?
What have you done on it so far and what do you think of it?

:smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
The Biology one, about face cream, is really weird - I have no idea what topics it's going to test. The physics one about the car-driving thingy seems alright, it'll mainly test P4, Explaining motion I think - but there are aspects of analogue/digital waves (P6).
Reply 2
Hmm well, I have mine for Additional 21st Century Science?
Biology: Brain, mind and memory
Physics: Forces and rockets
Chemistry: Copper in mobiles etc.

Anyone doing these ones? We can discuss :biggrin:
Reply 3
Original post by Benmaster
The Biology one, about face cream, is really weird - I have no idea what topics it's going to test. The physics one about the car-driving thingy seems alright, it'll mainly test P4, Explaining motion I think - but there are aspects of analogue/digital waves (P6).

Yeah I got the face cream one and I think they'll mainly ask things about clinical trials, placebos, repeats, peer review etc :smile: And for Physics I guess we'll just have to go through P6, have you got chem yet?
Reply 4
Original post by Ears

Nope I didn't get those ones, sorry :tongue: Hopefully, there'll be more posts soon :smile:
The whole class was like :lolwut: at the face cream one. My physics teacher lurrrrrves formula one and cars and stuff was literally jumping for joy at the physics one. We haven't had chemistry yet.

I never understand how you're meant to revise for this exam anyway.
Reply 6
Original post by Bambi :)
have you got chem yet?

Yes - the one about car batteries/lithium etc. The bottom bit of it really seems like C4, chemical patterns. But I don't really classify chemistry as units - they all seem so similar. I'm not looking forward to the B7/C7/P7 exams :s-smilie:- the past papers look so hard, especially chemistry. It doesn't help that I'm only in Year 10 either, I don't feel ready :biggrin:
Original post by Ears

Yes, I have the same one :biggrin: I'm also re-taking the Ideas In Context for Core Science :frown: You got an A* for that, didn't you? Do you have any tips on how to get an A*? :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by InadequateJusticex
Yes, I have the same one :biggrin: I'm also re-taking the Ideas In Context for Core Science :frown: You got an A* for that, didn't you? Do you have any tips on how to get an A*? :smile:

Yes :biggrin:
I don't know how I got it. This is embarrassing, but it was about cattle, and I thought cattle were sheep. I wrote that cattle were sheep endless times, and still got an A* :biggrin:
I guess, just know the pre-release off the back of your hand, and try to predict the questions.

What do you think of the additional ones? Like the topics?
Original post by Ears
Yes :biggrin:
I don't know how I got it. This is embarrassing, but it was about cattle, and I thought cattle were sheep. I wrote that cattle were sheep endless times, and still got an A* :biggrin:
I guess, just know the pre-release off the back of your hand, and try to predict the questions.

What do you think of the additional ones? Like the topics?

Err... Well, I'm happy the Physics bit isn't P5 and C5 annoys me a little. B6 is OK. What about you?

And when you mean 'know it by the back of your hand', what do I need to annotate? Do you have to do extra research? Learn the words that are unfamiliar? Sorry that I'm bombarding you with questions XD I really want my A* in Core Science and my damn teachers won't tell me how to improve my coursework so you're my only hope :colondollar:
Reply 10
Err... Well, I'm happy the Physics bit isn't P5 and C5 annoys me a little. B6 is OK. What about you?

And when you mean 'know it by the back of your hand', what do I need to annotate? Do you have to do extra research? Learn the words that are unfamiliar? Sorry that I'm bombarding you with questions XD I really want my A* in Core Science and my damn teachers won't tell me how to improve my coursework so you're my only hope :colondollar:

Haha, that's fine!
I think for one, know the whole module on which the pre-release is based on. So even though the topic is only a part of B6/C5/P4 I would still learn the whole module, they tend to use questions that are barely relevant to the text sometimes. I've annotated all of them, especially the rocket graphs. Learn anything you don't understand and try to predict questions.
I think there will definetely be a question to explain the GPE of the rocket as it goes up and comes down.
- How can the rocket move in a vacuum without fuel?
- What is resultant force?
- Working out changes in energy (ie Chemical energy to kinetic energy)
- Different ways of mining Copper
-Reduction, Electrolysis (bound to be ion equations too)
- Functions of Cerebellum and Cerebral Cortex.

My teacher gave us a list of questions, I'll try and find them later and tell you some of the others, if you want :smile:
Original post by Ears
Haha, that's fine!
I think for one, know the whole module on which the pre-release is based on. So even though the topic is only a part of B6/C5/P4 I would still learn the whole module, they tend to use questions that are barely relevant to the text sometimes. I've annotated all of them, especially the rocket graphs. Learn anything you don't understand and try to predict questions.
I think there will definetely be a question to explain the GPE of the rocket as it goes up and comes down.

My teacher gave us a list of questions, I'll try and find them later and tell you some of the others, if you want :smile:

Thank you so much, you've done much more than all 3 of my teachers combined. :biggrin: I'll start annotating soon, maybe 3 weeks before the exam...
Original post by Ears
Haha, that's fine!

I have that booklet as well ...
It looks really hard :/
We have not recieved any questions so if you could send me the questions it would be amazing! :biggrin:

Also, what have you annotated? For the B6 brain & Mind one, i have annotated what the key words are e.g neurons, sensory memort, short term memory... I don't know how to annote the other 2?

How are you going to revise for it ??? An A* is amazing btw :]
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by Benmaster
Yes - the one about car batteries/lithium etc. The bottom bit of it really seems like C4, chemical patterns. But I don't really classify chemistry as units - they all seem so similar. I'm not looking forward to the B7/C7/P7 exams :s-smilie:- the past papers look so hard, especially chemistry. It doesn't help that I'm only in Year 10 either, I don't feel ready :biggrin:

I know right, they're coming up in about a month as well :\ I got the chem one but I should probably read it now :colondollar: Are you doing your 7s in year 10:redface: how comes?
I'll post up any questions I or my teachers make for the 7s Ideas in contexts :biggrin:
Reply 14
Original post by minimus777
The whole class was like :lolwut: at the face cream one. My physics teacher lurrrrrves formula one and cars and stuff was literally jumping for joy at the physics one. We haven't had chemistry yet.

I never understand how you're meant to revise for this exam anyway.

Yup the face cream one is pretty weird but I guess it will all be pretty much common sense stuff :tongue:
I've got the chem one but I haven't really read it or anything and only began to annotate the Physics one.
I guess we just have to revise by trying to think of the possible questions and making sure we know the answers. My class and I made quite a few bio questions, I'll put them up later :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by bestfriends33
I have that booklet as well ...
It looks really hard :/
We have not recieved any questions so if you could send me the questions it would be amazing! :biggrin:

Also, what have you annotated? For the B6 brain & Mind one, i have annotated what the key words are e.g neurons, sensory memort, short term memory... I don't know how to annote the other 2?

How are you going to revise for it ??? An A* is amazing btw :]

:colondollar:

P4 Questions:
1) Write definitions for:
-Kinetic Energy
-Resultant force
-Momentum
-Friction
-Velocity

2) How does the Gravitational Potential Energy change as the rocket lifts off?

3) How long does it take for the resistance to get to 0?

4) What is the height of the rocket after.. a) 5s b) 15s c)25s?

5)Explain how the thrust changes with time.

6) It takes a lot of fuel to launch a space craft. Explain why very little fuel would be needed once the spacecraft has left the earths atmosphere.

7) When a rocket is travelling in space, there is no air. How does this affect the drag?

8) Calculate the GPE of the rocket 20 seconds after take off

9) Work out the change in momentum at 5 seconds after lift off

10) Draw arrows on the drawing of the rocket to show all the forces in action. (Think about sizes, direction etc)

11) Sketch a speed/time graph for the rocket.

B5

1) Which parts of the body make up the Central nervous system?

2) What is the Peripheral nervous system?

3) What is the sensory memory store?

4) Explain how rehearsal facilitates information transfer from short term memory to long term.

5) Do long term memory and short term work together in the brain?

6) Explain how a neurone is adapted to its function

7) What is serotonin and why is it necessary for survival?

8) What is the gap between neurones called and explain how neurones travel across it.

9) What must be done to increase the reliability of Prof Yanker's conclusion?

10) Explain two ways scientists can study and find out information about the brain.

11) Explain why it is harder for older people to learn new things.

12) What effect does Alzheimers have on memory?

I hope these help guys! I havent been given any for chemistry yet, I'll get those after half-term. If you can answer all these, you'll get an A for sure. :biggrin:

Good luck!
Reply 16
Hi can you please explain to me how i got 50/50 and 49/50 on both modules? when i knew i got atleast 2 or 3 questions wrong? thank u
Yeah I got the face cream one and I think they'll mainly ask things about clinical trials, placebos, repeats, peer review etc :smile: And for Physics I guess we'll just have to go through P6, have you got chem yet?

what unit do you think i should revise for bio&chem? :/ i dont have any teacher to help either cos i'm on gap year :/
Reply 18
Original post by Menakshelatte
what unit do you think i should revise for bio&chem? :/ i dont have any teacher to help either cos i'm on gap year :/

I guess you should revise C1, 2, 3 for the chem one, I haven't read it yet but from what my teacher said i gathered it would be that and for Bio I'm just going to read the Ideas in context pages at the end of each module in the textbook, there's no set unit for that tbh :\
I guess you should revise C1, 2, 3 for the chem one, I haven't read it yet but from what my teacher said i gathered it would be that and for Bio I'm just going to read the Ideas in context pages at the end of each module in the textbook, there's no set unit for that tbh :\

do we have the same paper for chemistry?? mines called "Bolivian Bonanza"

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending