The Student Room Group

Hyperbolic Geometry

I am having a bit of a problem with the question below. I have done question (i) and found the answer to be 3+2i. I am having a very hard time trying to understand what is required of question (ii). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Define a Mobius transformation, M, of the hyperbolic upper half plane by
M(z) = (5z-13)/(z-1)

(i) Find the unique fixed point, P, of M in the hyperbolic plane and show that it lies on the h-line
'n' given by mod(z-6)=sqrt13
(ii) Determine the image, M(n), of the h-line n.
(iii) Find the angle at P between the positive ray n+ and its image, M^(n+). (Positive
here means emanating from P in the direction of increasing real part, x.)
Reply 1
Original post by nuodai
nn is given by the set of points {zH:z6=13}\left \{ z \in H\, :\, \left| z-6 \right| = \sqrt{13} \right \}, and the transformation MM sends zM(z)z \mapsto M(z). Let w=M(z)w=M(z) and find zz in terms of ww. Then you can substitute into the expression z6=13\left| z-6 \right| = \sqrt{13} to find the image.

Does that mean I find the inverse of the Mobius transformation? I got z=(w-13)/(w-5)
Where do I substitute the expression?
Reply 2
Original post by nuodai
Sorry I just realised I made a mistake. Woops. You don't need to find zz in terms of ww.

The transformation maps zw=M(z)z \mapsto w=M(z), and so the line z6=13|z-6|=\sqrt{13} maps to the line w6=13|w-6|=\sqrt{13}. You just need to find this in terms of zz.

Sorry, now I'm a bit confused. How do I do that exactly?
Reply 3
Original post by lalyala
Sorry, now I'm a bit confused. How do I do that exactly?

I don't know what's wrong with me today... forget everything I said in my last two posts -- I was right the first time, but I'll go from the top.

A Möbius transformation is just a function which maps complex numbers to complex number. Here your Möbius transformation is MM. The image of a point zz is the point M(z)M(z), and the image of a set of points is the set of images of all the points. That is, M(S)={M(z):zS}M(S) = \{ M(z)\, :\, z \in S \}. Here, your set is nn, which is the hyperbolic line given by the set of complex numbers zz for which z6=13|z-6|=\sqrt{13}. This means that M(n)={M(z):z6=13}M(n) = \{ M(z)\, :\, |z-6| = \sqrt{13} \}.

Now, if you write w=M(z)w=M(z) then z=M1(w)z=M^{-1}(w), and so substituting this into the above we get

M(n)={M(M1(w)):M1(w)6=13}M(n) = \{ M(M^{-1}(w))\, :\, |M^{-1}(w) - 6| = \sqrt{13} \}
={w:M1(w)6=13}= \{ w\, :\, |M^{-1}(w) - 6| = \sqrt{13} \}

So you need to substitute z=M1(w)z=M^{-1}(w) into z6=13|z-6|=\sqrt{13}.
Reply 4
Original post by nuodai
I don't know what's wrong with me today... forget everything I said in my last two posts -- I was right the first time, but I'll go from the top.

A Möbius transformation is just a function which maps complex numbers to complex number. Here your Möbius transformation is MM. The image of a point zz is the point M(z)M(z), and the image of a set of points is the set of images of all the points. That is, M(S)={M(z):zS}M(S) = \{ M(z)\, :\, z \in S \}. Here, your set is nn, which is the hyperbolic line given by the set of complex numbers zz for which z6=13|z-6|=\sqrt{13}. This means that M(n)={M(z):z6=13}M(n) = \{ M(z)\, :\, |z-6| = \sqrt{13} \}.

Now, if you write w=M(z)w=M(z) then z=M1(w)z=M^{-1}(w), and so substituting this into the above we get

M(n)={M(M1(w)):M1(w)6=13}M(n) = \{ M(M^{-1}(w))\, :\, |M^{-1}(w) - 6| = \sqrt{13} \}
={w:M1(w)6=13}= \{ w\, :\, |M^{-1}(w) - 6| = \sqrt{13} \}

So you need to substitute z=M1(w)z=M^{-1}(w) into z6=13|z-6|=\sqrt{13}.

|(w-13)/(w-5) - 6| = sqrt(13)
Am I on the right track here?
Reply 5
Original post by lalyala
|(w-13)/(w-5) - 6| = sqrt(13)
Am I on the right track here?

Yup. Now you can rearrange to simplify the expression (and interpret it geometrically if necessary... which would make sense if this is a geometry question).
Reply 6
Original post by nuodai
Yup. Now you can rearrange to simplify the expression (and interpret it geometrically if necessary... which would make sense if this is a geometry question).

Am I correct to substitute w=x+iy and rearrange until its a complex number? Or would that just complicate things further? Sorry need a bit more guidance. Really appreciate your help.
Reply 7
Original post by lalyala
Am I correct to substitute w=x+iy and rearrange until its a complex number? Or would that just complicate things further? Sorry need a bit more guidance. Really appreciate your help.

It really depends what's easiest for you. You can rearrange to put it in the form wα=cwβ\left| w-\alpha \right| = c|w - \beta|, which defines either a line or a circle depending on the values of α,β,c\alpha, \beta, c... but if you've not come across this form before, then write w=x+iyw=x+iy and find a Cartesian equation for the new hyperbolic line (i.e. line or circle). You can then convert it back to complex numbers using the fact that a circle with centre aCa \in \mathbb{C} and radius r>0r>0 is given by za=r|z-a| = r.
Reply 8
Original post by nuodai
It really depends what's easiest for you. You can rearrange to put it in the form wα=cwβ\left| w-\alpha \right| = c|w - \beta|, which defines either a line or a circle depending on the values of α,β,c\alpha, \beta, c... but if you've not come across this form before, then write w=x+iyw=x+iy and find a Cartesian equation for the new hyperbolic line (i.e. line or circle). You can then convert it back to complex numbers using the fact that a circle with centre aCa \in \mathbb{C} and radius r>0r>0 is given by za=r|z-a| = r.

Okay, I think I'll do the latter as it seems like something the syllabus covered in comparison to the first option.
Is the answer supposed to be in the form of |z-a|=r or x+iy or... something else?
Reply 9
Original post by lalyala
Okay, I think I'll do the latter as it seems like something the syllabus covered in comparison to the first option.
Is the answer supposed to be in the form of |z-a|=r or x+iy or... something else?

I don't suppose it matters what form you leave it in. Since this is a geometry course, I'd recommend describing it geometrically (i.e. "the hyperbolic line corresponding to the Euclidean circle with centre a and radius r").

Quick Reply

Latest