The Student Room Group

FP3 Integration

Trying to integrate 1x2+4x+5\frac{1}{\sqrt{x^2+4x+5}}. My book, and Wolfram give the answer arsinh(x+2)arsinh(x+2), using a hyperbolic substitution, but I get the answer lnsecθ+tanθ=lnx2+5x+7ln|sec\theta +tan\theta|=ln|x^2+5x+7| using a trigonometric substitution (x+2=tanθx + 2 = tan\theta). Am I wrong, or are there just multiple ways of doing this?
Reply 1
Hmm, I guess for a question like this I would probably play it safe and just complete the square in the denominator. Unless they specifically ask for a substitution, that's normally the best move.
Reply 2
They did ask for a substitution, but didn't specify whether it had to be hyperbolic or trigonometric.
Reply 3
Neither, in this case it would be to let u=x+2.
Reply 4
Complete the square, and let u=x+2. Why use a hyperbolic substitution? All you're doing is making the process much longer.
Original post by ViralRiver
Am I wrong, or are there just multiple ways of doing this?

Differentiate your answer and see what you get.
Original post by olipal
Hmm, I guess for a question like this I would probably play it safe and just complete the square in the denominator. Unless they specifically ask for a substitution, that's normally the best move.

Original post by mir3a
Complete the square, and let u=x+2. Why use a hyperbolic substitution? All you're doing is making the process much longer.

That's assuming he has a formula book to hand or that he remembers the standard integrals. Which may or may not be the case.

Trying to integrate 1x2+4x+5\frac{1}{\sqrt{x^2+4x+5}}. My book, and Wolfram give the answer arsinh(x+2)arsinh(x+2), using a hyperbolic substitution, but I get the answer lnsecθ+tanθ=lnx2+5x+7ln|sec\theta +tan\theta|=ln|x^2+5x+7| using a trigonometric substitution (x+2=tanθx + 2 = tan\theta). Am I wrong, or are there just multiple ways of doing this?

Both methods are fine but I think your logarithmic answer is wrong. To check if they're equivalent, note that sinh1x=ln(x+x2+1)\sinh ^{-1}x = \ln (x+\sqrt{x^2+1}). Therefore the answer sinh1(x+2)=ln((x+2)+x2+4x+5)\sinh ^{-1}(x+2) = \ln ((x+2)+\sqrt{x^2+4x+5}), which is not what you got for the logarithm version.
Reply 7
Not sure you're all understanding. The question asked me to use a substitution, hyperbolic or trigonometric. It didn't specify which, but it doesn't allow for a normal algebraic substitution. Farhan, I went through that process myself and realised they weren't the same, but had a feeling it may have been something to do with the constant?
Reply 8
If that's the case, could it be using a subsitution of say, x+2=sinhux+2=\sinh u?

Edit: Oh, and for the record the substitution you have chosen to use works too, but as farhan says you haven't expressed secθ\sec \theta in terms of tanθ\tan \theta correctly. Once you have done this the logarithmic equivalent of arsinh(x+2)arsinh (x+2) will equal your simplified expression.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9
How did you get from lnsecθ+tanθ\ln |\sec \theta + \tan \theta| to lnx2+5x+7\ln |x^2+5x+7|? Note that secθ=1+tan2θ\sec \theta = \sqrt{1+\tan^2 \theta}. You should get the same answer as in the book.

To be honest, if you see 1+x2\sqrt{1+x^2} then the substitution x=sinhux=\sinh u is usually safer than x=tanθx=\tan \theta, which is better for just 1+x21+x^2 on its own (or with an integer power).
Reply 10
I used the substitution x+2=tanθx+2=tan\theta. This reduced the integrand to secθsec\theta, giving lnsecθ+tanθln|sec\theta +tan\theta|. I used secθ=1+tan2θ=x2+4x+5sec\theta =1+tan^2\theta =x^2+4x+5 and substituted it into the logarithm. I can't see anything wrong with it, but I'm sure there's something simple I'm missing, or I integrated incorrectly >< .
Reply 11
I used the substitution x+2=tanθx+2=tan\theta. This reduced the integrand to secθsec\theta, giving lnsecθ+tanθln|sec\theta +tan\theta|. I used secθ=1+tan2θ=x2+4x+5sec\theta =1+tan^2\theta =x^2+4x+5 and substituted it into the logarithm. I can't see anything wrong with it, but I'm sure there's something simple I'm missing, or I integrated incorrectly >< .

secθ≢1+tan2θ\sec \theta \not \equiv 1 + \tan^2 \theta. See my previous post.
Reply 12
Ahh, as I said, stupid mistake xD . Not sure what I was thinking, but this is resolved.

Quick Reply

Latest