The Student Room Group

How is ATP involved in absorption of glucose?

Question: How is ATP involved in absorption of glucose?

Any help please.
Reply 1
not sure, i only know how ATP is involved in glycolysis and following processes
I'm not 100% sure on this, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

But I believe glucose is absorbed from the intestine through the use of Active Transport, active transport requires energy, which is provided by the transfer molecule ATP. So ATP supplies the energy needed for active transport to get the glucose from the intestine to the blood stream.
Reply 3
Original post by User12399

Any help please.

The translocation of GLUT4 to the plasma membrane is ATP dependent.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GLUT4
Reply 4
Original post by Democracy
The translocation of GLUT4 to the plasma membrane is ATP dependent.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GLUT4

Huh? A2 Biology. Am I supposed to know this? :s
Reply 5
That's beyond any detail you'll need for A2 biology. The article is talking about the transport of glucose in homeostasis (i.e. in response to insulin in adipose/muscle tissues). Is your question referring to the absorption in the GI tract?

Any help please.

Uptake of glucose (and amino acids) is linked to the active transport of sodium ions.

A coupled sodium-substrate transport carries the substrate glucose from the lumen of the gut into the absorptive epithelial cells of villi. The substrate leaves the cell by facilitated diffusion and enters the plasma of blood capillaries. The sodium-potassium ion pump, which requires ATP to actively transport ions, maintains the sodium gradient essential to the coupled sodium-substrate transport into the cell.

high concentration of sodium ions in the lumen of gut, low conc. in the epithelial cell and a high sodium conc. in the blood capillaries (in mucosa).
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7

Any help please.

adrenaline and glucagon hormones can activate glycogenolysis, thus releasing glucose which is then used by cells. this is useful especially in flight/fight situations etc..

the hormone binds to a cells receptor, activating the enzyme adenylate cyclase

adenylate cyclase converts atp to a chemical signal called cAMP (cyclic amp), which is known as a secondary messenger.

the cAMP activates a cascade in the cell resulting in glyconolysis.

i don't know what exam board you are, but this is the closest we get to glucose absorbtion, GLUT4 is way above what you need to know.

hope this helps.
This is the answer you're looking for:

Original post by mathew551
Uptake of glucose (and amino acids) is linked to the active transport of sodium ions.

A coupled sodium-substrate transport carries the substrate glucose from the lumen of the gut into the absorptive epithelial cells of villi. The substrate leaves the cell by facilitated diffusion and enters the plasma of blood capillaries. The sodium-potassium ion pump, which requires ATP to actively transport ions, maintains the sodium gradient essential to the coupled sodium-substrate transport into the cell.

high concentration of sodium ions in the lumen of gut, low conc. in the epithelial cell and a high sodium conc. in the blood capillaries (in mucosa).

Regarding GLUT4 - it's not part of the absorption process because it's not expressed on enterocytes. It's a transport protein which is used to allow fat and muscle cells to use glucose (rather than Fatty Acids) as a fuel in the fed state - i.e. after glucose has already been absorbed by the intestine. Furthermore, its mechanism is facilitated diffusion, rather than active transport
Reply 9
isn't the whole point of glucose absorption to make ATP?
Original post by Cinamon
isn't the whole point of glucose absorption to make ATP?

I costs money to make money unfortunately.

Glucose is absorbed by secondary active transport (i.e. using the sodium gradient setup by primary active transport which uses ATP) and also ATP is also used in the first 3 steps of the Glycolysis pathway which converts Glucose to Pyruvate. Thankfully however, more ATP is generated in Glycolysis & TCA Cycle than is used in procuring the necessary substrates
Reply 11
Original post by Chwirkytheappleboy
I costs money to make money unfortunately.

Glucose is absorbed by secondary active transport (i.e. using the sodium gradient setup by primary active transport which uses ATP) and also ATP is also used in the first 3 steps of the Glycolysis pathway which converts Glucose to Pyruvate. Thankfully however, more ATP is generated in Glycolysis & TCA Cycle than is used in procuring the necessary substrates

ah thanks :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending