The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ecraven
Hiya,

GCSE: 2A*, 1A, 6B, 1C (short course)
AS Levels: Maths, further maths, physics. Taking up geology next year.
Currently predicted: AAB
Considering: G100. Royal Holloway, St Andrews (it's a dream), Edinburgh, Newcastle, Southampton and some others.
Preparation: Attending Headstart course for maths in the summer. Reading Fermat's Last Theorem and two other books after.
Read a lot into the maths side of cryptography - I find it very interesting.

Can anyone recommend any good maths books to read? Can be about anything maths related.

Which Headstart course are you going on? I'm going on the Durham 1 Maths course.

And welcome to the thread =)

Original post by leopard93
Heya,

Hiya,

GCSE: 11A*
A Levels: Maths, further maths, physics, chemistry, biology, general studies AS
Currently predicted: 4A* in A2, A*/A in biology and A in general studies AS
Considering: one of oxbridge (favouring cambridge at the moment), imperial, warwick, bath, bristol, york
Preparation: background reading, did an OU course, going on Headstart in summer, and a cambridge masterclass hopefully too

Is anyone doing STEP I this year?

Which headstart course are you going on? Looks like there is quite a few people on here going to the Maths one. I'm going to the Durham 1 Maths course.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 301
Original post by laughylolly
Which Headstart course are you going on? I'm going on the Durham 1 Maths course.

And welcome to the thread =)

Hi :smile:

I'm going to the Royal Holloway one. Chose it as first choice because it's one of my top choices for university.
Original post by ecraven

I'm going to the Royal Holloway one. Chose it as first choice because it's one of my top choices for university.

Are you planning on going to Royal holloway for 2012 start?
Have you ordered a prospectus yet?
Original post by ecraven

Oh cool. Royal Holloway looks like a beautiful university... not on my list of choices but I'm still unsure for my 4/5th choices yet so.
Reply 304
Original post by BeccaCath94
Are you planning on going to Royal holloway for 2012 start?
Have you ordered a prospectus yet?

Yeah, I'm thinking about it. Went to the open day in March so I picked up a fair bit of information then.
Original post by ecraven
Yeah, I'm thinking about it. Went to the open day in March so I picked up a fair bit of information then.

Ahh cool. See i didnt realise i wanted to go until after march...theres an open day in june but its during school hours so i might not be able to go. and london is a long way away from where i live in york so...

Was the university good?? The castle accomodation looks amazing online!
Is studiyng maths at university alot different from A level? I mean it is obviously going to be harder but it is basically the same format?
Anyone else going to the warwick open day on the 7th?
Original post by IcedTea&PotNoodle

I am! I can't wait, Warwick is one of my first choices :smile:
Original post by like_a_star
I am! I can't wait, Warwick is one of my first choices :smile:

Me too hopefully. Have you booked many sessions? I've booked the MORSE one, the civil engineering one and the two maths ones. I don't know if i'll turn up to all of them though.
Me too hopefully. Have you booked many sessions? I've booked the MORSE one, the civil engineering one and the two maths ones. I don't know if i'll turn up to all of them though.

I booked quite a few. i booked the maths, MORSE, accomodation, admissions, the lannguage module one and want to book the tour on the day as well. Same, I don't think I left enough time to get to one session to another :s-smilie: Are you thinking or doing MORSE as well? I think its really interesting but I'm still deciding between them, or I might just apply to both of them :biggrin:
Original post by like_a_star
I booked quite a few. i booked the maths, MORSE, accomodation, admissions, the lannguage module one and want to book the tour on the day as well. Same, I don't think I left enough time to get to one session to another :s-smilie: Are you thinking or doing MORSE as well? I think its really interesting but I'm still deciding between them, or I might just apply to both of them :biggrin:

I'm having the same problem deciding, MORSE looks brilliant but i'm worried that it will be really competitive. I think I'll also be at a disadvantage because I don't have Economics. I was considering booking the accommodation session but you go to them on the tours so I just figured that would be enough.
I'm having the same problem deciding, MORSE looks brilliant but i'm worried that it will be really competitive. I think I'll also be at a disadvantage because I don't have Economics. I was considering booking the accommodation session but you go to them on the tours so I just figured that would be enough.

No straight economics course puts any extra weight on doing econ at alevel so I doubt MORSE will care. e.g. LSE who have arguably the best econ course in the country don't care either way.

I know but the only thing is that the straight maths course has so much flexibility that I thought I might just do that. But MORSE does look really interesting, more than some maths courses offered at other unis. I don't think that it would be because most economic degrees themselves don't say that you need economics a level. I've heard that warwick gives out offers for maths to most people who have got the predicted grades that are good enough so I am guessing they might do this for MORSE. But this is what I have heard it might not be true. Yeah I guess you could I just want as much information as I can get because I really want to go there :biggrin:

They just have to be difficult don't they. Oxford and Cambridge both have open days for Maths on the 7th and 14th of May so I'm going to both of those and not going to the field Warwick.

I've also just visited Edinburgh and it seems nice so that could be one of my choices
Original post by dnumberwang
They just have to be difficult don't they. Oxford and Cambridge both have open days for Maths on the 7th and 14th of May so I'm going to both of those and not going to the field Warwick.

I've also just visited Edinburgh and it seems nice so that could be one of my choices

:rofl: I seem to remember a previous conversation where we discussed the fieldiness of Warwick, and both got negged for it. Oh, and Edinburgh's awesome - if I didn't live here I'd totally apply.
Original post by anyone_can_fly
:rofl: I seem to remember a previous conversation where we discussed the fieldiness of Warwick, and both got negged for it. Oh, and Edinburgh's awesome - if I didn't live here I'd totally apply.

Haha I remember that too, I'll visit it at some point though to see how isolated it actually is. I doubt I'll change my mind though

Edinburgh is full of fields but they're right in the middle of the city so it's awesome :awesome: But it seems like it would be an expensive place to live, with all the tourists around, even though I don't mind tourists. I'm probably still applying to Manchester even though I live here :tongue:
Original post by dnumberwang
Haha I remember that too, I'll visit it at some point though to see how isolated it actually is. I doubt I'll change my mind though

Edinburgh is full of fields but they're right in the middle of the city so it's awesome :awesome: But it seems like it would be an expensive place to live, with all the tourists around, even though I don't mind tourists. I'm probably still applying to Manchester even though I live here :tongue:

The tourists aren't year-round. They swarm in August, but get replaced by a swarm of students in September. Not sure how expensive rent is - I do know that most students seem to share flats in Marchmont (for example) between about four or five people, though.

Well, my house is actually closer to the university than the Halls of Residence, and both my parents are professors there. So I can't really go there unless I want to actually be less independent than I am at the moment!

I too should probably visit Warwick. Or at least get a prospectus and stare at all the pretty pictures of fields :redface: .
Original post by anyone_can_fly
The tourists aren't year-round. They swarm in August, but get replaced by a swarm of students in September. Not sure how expensive rent is - I do know that most students seem to share flats in Marchmont (for example) between about four or five people, though.

Well, my house is actually closer to the university than the Halls of Residence, and both my parents are professors there. So I can't really go there unless I want to actually be less independent than I am at the moment!

I too should probably visit Warwick. Or at least get a prospectus and stare at all the pretty pictures of fields :redface: .

I dunno if it's because I live in Manchester and there are never any tourists, but I think I'd like having people from all over the world around, for some reason :tongue:

Ah well, just get into Oxford instead

It must be a real massive trek away... but the prospectus is rubbish (under location it says it's good because it's in the heart of England), actually so are most prospectuses. Oxford's is shocking compared to Cambridge's
Reply 319
Original post by BeccaCath94
Ahh cool. See i didnt realise i wanted to go until after march...theres an open day in june but its during school hours so i might not be able to go. and london is a long way away from where i live in york so...

Was the university good?? The castle accomodation looks amazing online!

The castle is great :tongue:. Is only catered accommodation in there though which doesn't suit me so much.
I personally liked liked the university and the Maths lecturers I talked to were very friendly. Contact hours on the course is about 15 hours which isn't that amazing considering fees next year.
Mind gone a bit blank... ask if there's anything else you want to know about it.

Latest