The Student Room Group

Aston vs Lancaster

I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but if it isn't I apologise.

Basically, I have applied for a BSc Computer Science course at both of these universities, and have had offers from both of them. I am in a bit of a dilemma, I can not decide which uni is better for me. I live in Birmingham and have visited Aston uni, and had mix feelings about it (Liked the prospects of the uni, but hated the campus). On the other hand, I haven't visited Lancaster, but have heard from several people, that it is a beautiful campus and is better academically.

The thing is I want to move out of Birmingham, but because Lancaster is like a 4 hour drive from Birmingham, its putting me off the place a little bit. I would want to come back home to Birmingham a few times a month to visit family etc. But this would be very costly (through train).

Also, Aston uni offer a placement year, whereas Lancaster don't. Would the placement year be beneficial? because I don't know if I would want to come back into education after a year of working :s.

Also, the other uni's that I have offers from are : Keele, Nottingham Trent and DMU. But I'm keen on Aston and Lancaster.

I'm sorry if this is confusing and all, but you can see what position I'm in at the moment :tongue:

Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I've applied to Lancaster too! Hmm.. I think you should go visit Lancaster before making any decisions. I haven't been myself but I have also heard that it is really pretty... so I'm gonna go judge it for myself..

You can always change to the master course in lancaster which offers a placement. I've asked and apparently I could always change to it whenever I want during the first year... it would just be an extra year. Is Aston 4 years?

By the looks of it Aston does seem like a better choice, purely because it's closer.. but you hated the campus, so I don't know. Maybe after visiting Lancaster you'll think it's worth it???
Reply 2
I didn't know that you could change to a masters, which offers a placement year. I'll look that up :smile: thanks.

And Aston is 4 years, the thing is I want to move out, but Lancaster being so far from Birmingham, I don't know if I should. The thing about Aston's campus is that it is very small and I just didn't like the feeling of it. Whereas, when I went Keele, I really liked it, and from what I've heard its similar to Lancaster but of course Lancaster being better academically.
Reply 3
My sister went to keele.. it really isn't a bad uni... I've applied too! But I don't know.. taken into the account that Lancaster widely known and of course has a betetr reputation :frown: I dont know!!! But keele does look good. hmmmm. I cant decide myself and i havent been to any visits :frown: too lazy.
Reply 4
Haha, looks like we're in a similar situation then; and thats the thing do you want to look at the reputation or a uni that is up and coming. I really can't decide and we've only got a couple of weeks until we have to make a decision.
Reply 5
I know! Im scaredddddddddddddddddddddddddddd, have you been to lancaster yet? Lol.... but all the open days have past. Have you applied for student finance? TOOOOO much, sooooo little time :frown:
Reply 6
Nah I haven't, I don't have the money or the time :P and no to the student finance as well, but I think we've got until the end of May to apply for that. I NEED TO MAKE A CHOICE QUICK :O :frown:
Reply 7
I went to Lancaster today. An hour away from manchester, and the train was so packed!!!! which was annoying.

I actually don't know. Maybe I am too used to manchester and homesick that I didnt really think much of Lancaster. It's nothing "special". I don't know. i thought I was gonna love it, thought I liked small towns etc... (but like I said, it's probably due to homesickness) The city centre was alright ish, had loads of shops.. a whole row of them. I do like the campus though, it was really neat and green. Fields were everywhere and today was such a nice day... It looked quiet and peaceful. So yeah, it is pretty. Can imagine myself just lying on the grass listening to music and just relaxing from my studies.... but yeah, I don't know if its worth you travelling all the way. Is Aston really that bad??
Keele, Aston, and Lancaster are more or less similar in terms of prestige, I think - irrespective of ranking.

Just go with what you're most comfortable with.
Reply 9
Can't decide. -sigh-

Anyone know anything about Liverpool?
Reply 10
Thanks for that b0133, at least I have an opinion on Lancaster now :/ and Aston isn't all that bad, but I want to move out you see, and experience a different city if you know what I mean :/.
@SchadenfreudeDude - That at least makes me feel more better haha, but makes my decision a little bit harder :P, but atm I'm thinking Keele or Lancaster.
Reply 11
Lancaster is one of the top universities in the uk...

My sister went to keele. And stoke was really quiet.. The city centre was in hanley which also had alot of shops. But from what i've seen. I'll say Lancaster is prettier. What are you studying? Why don't you decide based me which is best for the course?
Reply 12
Oh I forgot. You're doing computer science.. Apparently in Lancaster you get to pick two more course aswell. So you can decide which is best for you. That's what my friend told me. Which I thought was a really good idea. And we could be classmates! Lol. But yeah. I don't know either.
Reply 13
Haha, tbh that is a good idea, what course are you planning to do then? :P Decisions, decisions eh.. :P
EDIT: of course you are doing computer science silly me: P
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 14
I really can't decide. I have til the 5th of may. Hmm!
Lancaster isn't four hours away from Birmingham, I don't think :smile: It's not as far up North as most people think. It's only about two to two and a half hours from Bham :smile:
Reply 16
I was wondering about the fees. Do anyone know whether it's gonna increase next year? I thought it was gonna be fixed.... but on the website it says:

Note that fees are reviewed annually and are set to increase significantly in 2012.
Original post by misseckleburg
Lancaster isn't four hours away from Birmingham, I don't think :smile: It's not as far up North as most people think. It's only about two to two and a half hours from Bham :smile:

I agree. Obviously, it would depend on the traffic, but 2 hours 30 is a good estimate. I have a lot of friends from Birmingham and they don't seem to struggle going home [although, they do not go as often as the OP suggested they would].

Original post by b0l33
I went to Lancaster today. An hour away from manchester, and the train was so packed!!!! which was annoying.

The train from Manchester is always busy. They only put three carriages on it, one of which is first class. So, if you go on Mondays/Fridays, you almost always have to stand up [unless you have a reserved seat]. It is a quick journey though, with only a couple of stops, so standing isn't so bad. I've done it many, many times during my three years in Lancaster. :smile:

Lancaster is quite flexible when it comes to courses. You can change subjects or the type of qualification you are studying for in most cases and they have links with American and Australian universities so you can study abroad [without adding extra time to your course].

The town is quite small but has some wonderful architecture, a rich history and lots of beautiful places to spend a sunny day. Plus, we are near the coast and have rural sports on offer. Campus is undergoing major renovations still but many should be done by the time you start. Campus itself is very green and has some wonderful resources and facilities. It has a nice feel and is very safe, yet you are not cut off from the city as buses leave every few minutes. :smile:

Ultimately, you have to pick the place that is right for you. I hope you manage to work out where that is soon. :smile:
Reply 18
Thank you for that. I was wondering, what supermarkets are there in Lancaster? i've heard there isnt many which can be a problem? Apparently theres only a sainburys near the bus station and that's pretty much it :/ did you struggle with food shopping etc?
Original post by b0l33
Thank you for that. I was wondering, what supermarkets are there in Lancaster? i've heard there isnt many which can be a problem? Apparently theres only a sainburys near the bus station and that's pretty much it :/ did you struggle with food shopping etc?

I most certainly have not struggled. Food shopping is very easy and there is a lot of choice available.

In Lancaster, you have:

Spoiler

If you go into Morecambe, you'll also find:

Spoiler

On campus, you can get by [I know some students who do all their food shopping on campus] but generally people use off-campus shops for the bulk of their shopping. :smile:

Spoiler

You definitely don't need to worry about your food shopping lol. :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending