The Student Room Group

4 rejections 2 years running

What is the best thing to do if you are caught in the situation of a failed reapplication?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm only reapplying for the first time this year btw, just wondering if it all goes pear shaped again as it may well do.
Reply 2
Either apply for the foundation year degree or choose another career.
Reply 4
Original post by awais590

For a foundation year don't you have to have either the wrong a levels or not have the grades because of your school, I will hopefully have the grades in the right a levels so wouldn't that make me ineligible for a foundation course?
Reply 5
Original post by telephone
For a foundation year don't you have to have either the wrong a levels or not have the grades because of your school, I will hopefully have the grades in the right a levels so wouldn't that make me ineligible for a foundation course?

Exactly, if you have the grades in the right subjects then you're even less likely to get onto a foundation course than a standard one.

If I was a reapplicant that didn't get in second time around, I'd re-think my options. I wouldn't spend another year applying.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by awais590

Why would applying to the foundation courses help?
:sigh:

Try for the third time, or settle for something else... there's also the medicine abroad option :moon:
Reply 8
Accept the fact that you're not clever enough for medicine, and so do biochemistry instead.
(edited 12 years ago)
Never say never?
What is the best thing to do if you are caught in the situation of a failed reapplication?

Keep on trying. Don't give up. Have a gap year, do work experience, if your grades weren't great, redo them and reapply. Make sure you have work experience if you do choose to have a gap year.
Original post by God_X
Accept the fact that you're not clever enough for medicine, and so do biochemistry instead.

You really don't need to be clever for medicine, just about average intelligence, with a lot of motivation. I'd say being able to relate to people is much more important than being a Nobel - prize winner.

On topic, I would recommend putting down a fifth choice as biology (if that interests you). Did you know, all Americans HAVE do to a bio degree before med. anyways?
Keep going. Volunteer, do work experience, get as many contacts in the industry as possible!

Get a job too, to keep you busy through your application cycle. If you want to be a doctor you can become one, it just takes hard hard work!
Reply 13
Original post by God_X

If I didn't get in it would not have been because I wasn't clever enough, and your reply suggests you are indeed not clever as an intelligent person would not post such an ignorant reply.
Reply 14
Original post by futuredoc77
:sigh:

Try for the third time, or settle for something else... there's also the medicine abroad option :moon:

Sorry to see you are in this situation, what are you planning to do?
Reply 15
Improve UKCAT and re-apply!! :woo:
Sorry to see you are in this situation, what are you planning to do?

A combination of my first and second options :ninjagirl:

^ Listen to that guy :yep:
Reply 17
Work out where you application is lacking. If you are not getting a good UKCAT then do better. If you are getting a good UKCAT then it could be the unis your applying to or you PS that is letting you down. If you are getting an interview but not getting an offer then you need to improve in your interview technique.

You could definitely re-apply but only if you make worthy changes to your application. Applying with the same application every year will get you no where.
Original post by haleem
Improve UKCAT and re-apply!! :woo:
OP, this dude is living proof. He got rejected eight consecutive times...applied for the third time and got a full house of offers.
Reply 19
Original post by i'm no superman
OP, this dude is living proof. He got rejected eight consecutive times...applied for the third time and got a full house of offers.

Ganemo :teeth:

Hows your SSC, or whateva crap you were doing? :colonhash:

Quick Reply

Latest