The Student Room Group

Listening To Music While Revising

Does anyone do this?

and do you think it's wise or is it distracting and not very efficient
Reply 1
Listen to Kutski on Radio 1 if you're staying up late.
I find it distracting, and end up just singing along not doing any work...
Reply 3
According to Psychology, you shouldn't revise and listen to music. According to the working memory model which says that the memory will be overloaded. Therefore it would be unwise to do both at the same time.
Reply 4
Original post by robodude789
I find it distracting, and end up just singing along not doing any work...

This.:tongue:
Reply 5
i dont mind the music. To me its just background sound, hate revising when its too quiet
Reply 6
Original post by Jessca
According to Psychology, you shouldn't revise and listen to music. According to the working memory model which says that the memory will be overloaded. Therefore it would be unwise to do both at the same time.

I found some evidence that suggests it depends on whether you're an introvert or an extravert. Introverts get distracted by all the extra stimuli, but extraverts find it helps them to not get bored.
I'm an introvert, so I need complete silence- the music just distracts me. :smile:
Reply 7
I generally listen to ambient music while revising, but I know many people who prefer silence.
Reply 8
Depends which subject I'm revising..
If it's maths, which is basically all practice, good music keeps me motivated and happy :biggrin:
But if it's science, where I need to LEARN stuff, then it distracts me.. :frown:
Reply 9
I listen to classical when revising e.g. Escala and Study Music Project (on youtube) and it seems to help :dontknow: but it's also helpful to do past papers in silence as that is what the exam will be like.
Depends on the subject. I have to do maths in silence or I never get anything done. English lit I revise with the Tv on and biology and chemistry I revise with music.

Just depends doesn't it. Everyone revises differently.
Reply 11
distracting

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending