The Student Room Group

People who never do the fun things you can only do while young?

OK Im all for people living their lives but how would someone feel by the time their say 25-30 when in their late teens to early twenties in university was shy, never had a girlfriend, was a virgin, never went clubbing, didnt drink excessively or did any such fun things. but just studied and studied. Would he deeply regret the time he had that he would never get back when he graduated or is it wrong to assume this?

Scroll to see replies

I don't care.
Reply 2
why are you anon for this? :mute:
Reply 3
Original post by teafil
why are you anon for this? :mute:

Because the friend in question uses the site and I don't want him finding out!
Original post by ScarletMoon
I don't care.

But you care enough to post this?

To the OP, it all depends on the person but when you get older you might start to wish you did all of those things. Then again, it's always important to live your life without regretting the decisions that you made.

Live for the future and try not to dwell too much on the past!
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
OK Im all for people living their lives but how would someone feel by the time their say 25-30 when in their late teens to early twenties in university was shy, never had a girlfriend, was a virgin, never went clubbing, didnt drink excessively or did any such fun things. but just studied and studied. Would he deeply regret the time he had that he would never get back when he graduated or is it wrong to assume this?

You're assuming that everyone finds clubbing and drinking excessively "fun." This isn't always the case. As for the girlfriend thing, who knows? He might not be interested at all in relationships, he may be asexual. Even if he isn't, there isn't anything wrong with not having had sex by the age of 30. You are stupid to assume that he is regretful because everyone is different.
Reply 6
I think there should be a balance between study and having fun.

Why not study during the week then go wild on the weekend?
Reply 7
depends. I would imagine, if he studied and studied, he would get a reasonably good job, and enjoy what he is doing and also the money he is earning.
Reply 8
I absolutely hate clubbing and excessive drinking... and yet I did enjoy my high school years, despite everyone thinking I'm a freak because I missed all the "great parties". And yes I did "study and study"...eventually I got the first place at a national olympiad and, along with other "nerds" like myself, got a free trip to budapest and vienna which proved to be the best thing in my life! The moral of the story: Study ALWAYS has it's benefits (which may include expensive hotels and other stuff i might not have afforded otherwise :biggrin: )...

And if you don't see someone at a party... they probably have fun somewhere else :biggrin: :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9
You;re assuming he finds clubbing, drinking, sleeping around etc 'fun'. Maybe he doesnt see constantly studying as wasting his youth, everyone is different
Reply 10
You know you're friend, so I'm guessing that you will know more than posters here what his reasons are for avoiding the party scene: through fear or, through experience, knowing that it isn't for him. If it's the former, I think as a friend the right thing to do would be to try and work on his confidence, to get him to try it. If it's the latter, you have to respect that and let him enjoy life the way he likes it.
Reply 11

Just because someone is not going out clubbing, getting wasted, doesn't mean he is not enjoying his youth.

I study a lot but that doesn't mean I am not enjoying myself. I hate clubbing and don't see the point in drinking to excess, but am still making the most of being young, fit, able to travel and have fantastic new experiences.

Don't assume everyone enjoys the same thing just because there seems to be a binge drinking culture in this country. In other countries it is actually uncool to go out and get wasted, you are seen as not being able to hold your alcohol/ not knowing your limits. People drink in moderation and enjoy themselves. I wish people in this country were the same.
I'm not going to comment on the rest cause everybody's different but "things you can only do while young?" Brah I am definitely going to be clubbing, excessively drinking and getting laid until I am on my deathbed.
Maybe they just don't find the things that you do fun:confused:. 'Fun' means different things to different people remember.
Because the friend in question uses the site and I don't want him finding out!

but he will find out someone posted his life on tsr
if he see this thread and will know it was one of you
Reply 15
Uni time comes and goes.. but you can only study once.. :biggrin:
Reply 16

Except for the virgin and never had a girlfriend part (don't apply), I feel pretty good. How about you? :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
I'd rather have a great job and spend time with the folks than go out, get wasted and be a part of the majority of students who get 2:1's.
I hate it when people look at other peopels lifestyles and start commenting on how "boring" it is. ITS THEIR CHOICE. If they want to study study study and get a good grade and career then let them. Its a sad day when we compare the "fun" lifestyle with going out getting drunk, eating crap and having ons

What the hell can you do when you're in your teens that you can't do when you're in your late 20's ? :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending