The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

Stuck between choosing Sussex or Kent!!

Hello, I've been offered places for English and Film BA at both Sussex and Kent and now have a problem- I can't choose.

I love Kent for the fact it has a nicer campus: views, green space, less clubbing in the local area (I'm an unusual 18 year old who doesn't like to drink), a cinema and a theatre on campus!

I love Sussex for the fact it's nearer to my home (which means a lot to me as I didn't go to uni last year mainly because I was afraid of leaving home, but am sure if I actually went to Kent this year I'd manage). I also like the fact it's employability rates are higher and it's teaching is known to be better.

Would love to hear other peoples opinions, especially those who go to either one of these universities, know people there, or were also afraid before going to uni about the distance/ campus not being perfect!

(If I went to Sussex I would live on campus, as I would at Kent, because I feel I'd get to know fellow students much better that way and grow in independence).

Thank you :smile:

p.s: I have to choose by this Thursday, the 5th of May, as I've already got my A level grades.
i was in a similar position with offers from both. i ended up firming UEA in the end though - just like sussex but with nicer buildings, less tourists and less international students.

anyway, i PERSONALLY would go with kent. this is because the accommodation is shocking at sussex. it is also very overpriced! having said that the actual campus of sussex was very nice. also the lectures were brilliant (for economics that is). one of them taught at cambridge and warwick before!

sussex is also very reputable. the guardian rated it 15th overall and the other table, complete-university-ranking or whatever it is rated it 19th. that's a lot higher than kent.

so yeah, i'd go with kent despite the upshots of sussex :smile:
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
Reply 2
Original post by naomirose92
Hello, I've been offered places for English and Film BA at both Sussex and Kent and now have a problem- I can't choose.

I love Kent for the fact it has a nicer campus: views, green space, less clubbing in the local area (I'm an unusual 18 year old who doesn't like to drink), a cinema and a theatre on campus!

I love Sussex for the fact it's nearer to my home (which means a lot to me as I didn't go to uni last year mainly because I was afraid of leaving home, but am sure if I actually went to Kent this year I'd manage). I also like the fact it's employability rates are higher and it's teaching is known to be better.

Would love to hear other peoples opinions, especially those who go to either one of these universities, know people there, or were also afraid before going to uni about the distance/ campus not being perfect!

(If I went to Sussex I would live on campus, as I would at Kent, because I feel I'd get to know fellow students much better that way and grow in independence).

Thank you :smile:

p.s: I have to choose by this Thursday, the 5th of May, as I've already got my A level grades.

Hey I go to sussex and do media so share several modules with film,

Personally i disagree with you on the campus, I have been to kent uni and it is very nice however the sussex campus is gorgeus and their is very little clubbing ect on campus, the campus doesnt have a club anymore. Their is a cinema currently being built on campus which should open next year or the year after but its not hard to get to the ones in town.

I also live near Sussex and being near home is very nice thing to have i must say however Kent isnt too far away, the teaching for film at sussex is very good i find all the tutors very intelligent and always know what they are talking about.

If you have any questions ect quote me or pm me
Reply 3
Original post by thepomster

Personally i disagree with you on the campus, I have been to kent uni and it is very nice however the sussex campus is gorgeus and their is very little clubbing ect on campus, the campus doesnt have a club anymore. Their is a cinema currently being built on campus which should open next year or the year after but its not hard to get to the ones in town.

I also live near Sussex and being near home is very nice thing to have i must say however Kent isnt too far away, the teaching for film at sussex is very good i find all the tutors very intelligent and always know what they are talking about.

Cinema? Really? Never heard that before :smile:
Reply 4

I genuinly didn't know there was going to be a cinema built there (was not told on the open day either!). Thank you for telling me. Well I already love the Duke of York's Picturehouse so thought I could go down there whenever anyway.

Before university did you like to spend alot of time at home with the family? How often do you choose to go home now?

Can I be nosey and ask, what made you choose Sussex over anywhere else? Thank you:smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by sofierce
Cinema? Really? Never heard that before :smile:

I hadn't either (third year) but maybe they mean the plans for the Attenborough Centre? I think they intend to show films there as well as staging music/theatre productions.

The Film Appreciation Society used to show twice weekly films for free in lecture theatres which was pretty good. Looking at their facebook info page however they're on hiatus at the moment...maybe it'll restart for the new academic year?

As for your decision between Sussex/Kent - well, to me, Canterbury and Brighton are quite different cities, so I would personally make my decision on that as well as which course you prefer. But that's just me, cos I ignore league tables and things like that.
Reply 6
Personally, I'd pick Sussex. It's a lovely campus with some pretty cool buildings. Living at home will save you a lot of money, and Brighton is so much nicer and cooler than Canterbury. I don't drink either and I love Brighton and go there often.

Plus Kent have messed me around endlessly...
Reply 7
I genuinly didn't know there was going to be a cinema built there (was not told on the open day either!). Thank you for telling me. Well I already love the Duke of York's Picturehouse so thought I could go down there whenever anyway.

Before university did you like to spend alot of time at home with the family? How often do you choose to go home now?

Can I be nosey and ask, what made you choose Sussex over anywhere else? Thank you:smile:

Yeahh I love spending time with my family we all get on really well, I go home usually every other weekend to spend a few days with family and friends back home. My friends also come to stay with me at uni.

Ofcourse, simplified version Brighton made me choose it. I live near it so know how much of a wonderful city it is but I dont live close enough to go all the time, when it came to choosing a uni Sussex was an easy choice, its close to Brighton, has a beautiful campus and a good academic background. Brighton as a city is fantastic to be close to theirs always something going on.
Reply 8
Original post by kat2pult
Personally, I'd pick Sussex. It's a lovely campus with some pretty cool buildings. Living at home will save you a lot of money, and Brighton is so much nicer and cooler than Canterbury. I don't drink either and I love Brighton and go there often.

Plus Kent have messed me around endlessly...

I'm pretty sure I'm going to go to Sussex (after months of thinking and a day of complete concentration on it--- I feel as though I'm going mad--- so thank you for your opinion!). Also, a fellow non-drinker? Amazing. Do you go to Sussex or simply know of it?

Naomi :smile:

(I currently study in Brighton but don't partake in the nightlife, at all, :P and so I know the area pretty well and love it).
Reply 9
Original post by llamalad200
i was in a similar position with offers from both. i ended up firming UEA in the end though - just like sussex but with nicer buildings, less tourists and less international students.

anyway, i PERSONALLY would go with kent. this is because the accommodation is shocking at sussex. it is also very overpriced! having said that the actual campus of sussex was very nice. also the lectures were brilliant (for economics that is). one of them taught at cambridge and warwick before!

sussex is also very reputable. the guardian rated it 15th overall and the other table, complete-university-ranking or whatever it is rated it 19th. that's a lot higher than kent.

so yeah, i'd go with kent despite the upshots of sussex :smile:

Thank you for your opinion! Still not sure but nice to see someone else has been in the same boat and has shared their views
Reply 10
I'm pretty sure I'm going to go to Sussex (after months of thinking and a day of complete concentration on it--- I feel as though I'm going mad--- so thank you for your opinion!). Also, a fellow non-drinker? Amazing. Do you go to Sussex or simply know of it?

Naomi :smile:

(I currently study in Brighton but don't partake in the nightlife, at all, :P and so I know the area pretty well and love it).

I don't go to Sussex, I go to Kent, but I love Brighton and I love the university. I've visited a few unis so I have an idea about what they're like :smile:
Original post by kat2pult
I don't go to Sussex, I go to Kent, but I love Brighton and I love the university. I've visited a few unis so I have an idea about what they're like :smile:

Oh right, okay, I should have picked up on that from your previous comment! So you're not too keen on Kent? What made you choose not to go to Sussex then?:smile:
Reply 12
Oh right, okay, I should have picked up on that from your previous comment! So you're not too keen on Kent? What made you choose not to go to Sussex then?:smile:

They don't do the course I wanted to do, simply.
Reply 13

'

Hi! What degree in Media are you doing there? Right now I am holding the conditional offer for Media Studies? so I am looking for someone to share the experience with me) I heard that Media Studies is really theoretical. Is it true?
Reply 14
Hee all

I am also kinda stuck , but more between Keele and Sussex. Any experiences to share?
Original post by Fania
'

Hi! What degree in Media are you doing there? Right now I am holding the conditional offer for Media Studies? so I am looking for someone to share the experience with me) I heard that Media Studies is really theoretical. Is it true?

I do practice but still have some of the theory modules, media studies is 75% theory as opposed to practice which is 50%, if you have any questions feel free to ask
Reply 16
I do practice but still have some of the theory modules, media studies is 75% theory as opposed to practice which is 50%, if you have any questions feel free to ask

I am thinking to specialize in media and journalism. With your experience with practice and theory do you think that the degree can provide me with some of required skills? Is there a flexibility of choosing the topics of interest in this degree? And how is teaching and learning experience in Sussex overall? I have to make my firm choice on Monday, so I am trying to find as much as possible about this degree:smile:Thanks in advance!

Quick Reply

Latest