The Student Room Group

Any Londoners around?

Heylo, I'm Linsay and I'm a Londoner. I'm just wondering if there are any people who live in or near London. I'm just asking this because I'm trying to find some experience on a game farm but all the ones I have asked have so far turned me down (even after loads of pestering xD) because I live too far away and they a) they can't provide accommodation and b) they don't want me spending money coming out (aren't farmers lovely? xD). Sooooo, I was just wondering if any Londoners on TSR were having the same experience or had overcome this already and would like to share details and/or tactics? :P
Urgh, another person from London. All you people down there are ignorant of anything more north than the M25, Gawd...
Reply 2
...I wouldn't say I was ignorant of everything north of the M25, I've had to book placements all over the place, including Scotland and Lancashire :/ In fact I find that comment incredibly upsetting and unnecessarily hurtful :/
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by dizzeedollee

...I wouldn't say I was ignorant of everything north of the M25, I've had to book placements all over the place, including Scotland and Lancashire :/ In fact I find that comment incredibly upsetting and unnecessarily hurtful :/

Before you feel upset you should have a look at the number of warnings and neg reps The-Real-One has.

She just knows that us Londoners have it better in every aspect of life, and isn't willing to admit it. :wink:
Heylo, I'm Linsay and I'm a Londoner. I'm just wondering if there are any people who live in or near London. I'm just asking this because I'm trying to find some experience on a game farm but all the ones I have asked have so far turned me down (even after loads of pestering xD) because I live too far away and they a) they can't provide accommodation and b) they don't want me spending money coming out (aren't farmers lovely? xD). Sooooo, I was just wondering if any Londoners on TSR were having the same experience or had overcome this already and would like to share details and/or tactics? :P

What experience have you got? Focus on getting your "core" experience (eg; lambing, dairying, kennels, cattery, stables, small and large animal vet) before things like game farms, abattoirs, etc.
Reply 5
meh, i guess i'm too sensitive x3

@ chocoholic, i have the following experience:

done and dusted
2 weeks lambing
2 weeks sa vet (+ 6 months volunteering 5 - 7 hours a week)
1 week kennels
1 week cattery
1 week dairy
3 weeks stable
1 week wildlife park

booked and confirmed
1 week dairy
2 week la vet
1 week equine vet
1 week children's farm
1 week pigs
1 week cattery

it just seems like game farms don't want to have me x3
Reply 6
that is loaaads! nice mix there too. have you asked the lambing/dairy farmers for any connections? that'd probably be your best bet right now. or, instead of game farms have you thought about lab or zoo work? :smile: good luck
Reply 7
really? i always thought that was waaaay too little! ah, i hadn't thought of that. i'll try calling them tomorrow, thank you for the suggestion :3
i forgot to put onto that list that i have two weeks lined up at whipsnade zoo so that could count as zoo :biggrin: i want to go to the vla labs or the aht labs but they're quite far away (or so i believe they are) and i'm not all too keen on having to book yet another b and b!
East Side and all that jazz..
Londoner reportin' in
Reply 10
really? i always thought that was waaaay too little! ah, i hadn't thought of that. i'll try calling them tomorrow, thank you for the suggestion :3
i forgot to put onto that list that i have two weeks lined up at whipsnade zoo so that could count as zoo :biggrin: i want to go to the vla labs or the aht labs but they're quite far away (or so i believe they are) and i'm not all too keen on having to book yet another b and b!

ahh whipsnade zoo that is so cool! did you go on a waiting list or whatever to get that? if you're still stuck and are keen to do more then the thing i can see to help build up your work experience is a weekly placement somewhere to show just that bit more of dedication. somewhere like a stables, urban farm, kennels or vets :smile:
Reply 11
nope, i sent my cv in and the work experience coordinator there replied and said i could do it! i was doing a weekly volunteering thing at an animal hospital but i've had to stop for a while because of my exams but i'm looking to get back into. the problem is, it's a very busy hospital so it gets booked up quickly (they only take 2 people at a time and, understandably, they said that they couldn't 'hold onto' a place for me over the exam period) so i don't know if i can go back there, and there aren't many very animal hospitals over here that would be worth me going. most of the vet surgeries i've spoken to don't really do much in the afternoon apart from tidying up and exercising animals (i can only volunteer in the afternoon because of school xD) ooor they don't open on the weekends :K sooo i'm wondering whether i should get more hands on experience at, for example, a farm or try to find another vet-ty place to see more surgery, consults, behind the scenes, etc?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending