The Student Room Group

Is it unsociable of me?

A mate texted me the other day saying a mutual friend (his best mate - a girl) wanted to have a catch up with me so he texted her number to me. I know her but we don't talk to each other much or anything. Infact I haven't spoken to her in months and we were never particularly close.

It made me think about this idea of 'catching up'. I've noticed how some people of both sexes are very happy and comfortable talking on the phone for about half an hour and more to a pal. Someone on my facebook posted an update recently saying 'just had a 2 hour chat with bla bla'. Is it just me that find it a bit weird? I'm just professional on the phone .. if a mate calls I chat but it's usually because we're arranging something or confirming this or that or whatever. The idea of chatting to someone on the phone for an hour or so just doesn't seem human to me. Not unless it's your brother or mum or something and you haven't seen them in a long time or something. Or I had a huge amount of time to kill. Aside from the fact I don't like to spend ages on the phone I would run out of conversation I think after a while.

Just thought I'd bring it up because I almost feel different from these people who 'catch up' on the phone. The idea seems a bit alien to me. Is that just how I am different to another or is that some kind of unsociable trait? What do people talk about on the phone for like an hour? It baffles me.
Reply 1
It's not anything unsocialble or strange, some people find it weird chatting on the phone when you cant see the other person and that's fine

talk about what you're up to, like if ur browsing the internet at the time say something funny that u've just seen / something on the news etc. or what u've done recently

but just relax, else it'll be awkward. silence is perfectly fine, dont feel the need to follow up sentences with immediate topics
Reply 2
Good to hear. I always found it weird how some people enjoyed talking on the phone for ages.
I don't like talking on the phone for ages either the longest is probably about 10mins , an can never think about what to talk about after a while. I'd only really talk on the phone if I was going to see someone. But I don't really like talking on the phone I'd rather text , so I rarely talk to people on the phone,
Reply 4
I'm not one for talking on the phones. There's only 1 friend I can really chat to on the phone but with that exception, I rather, like you said just make plans on the phone and then meet up and have a good chat/ catch up face to face.
Reply 5
I'm the same, to me a phone call is purely for a purpose, like paying a bill or arranging to meet up. I do phone my parents quite often, but never for very long.

I do, oddly enough, like it when my boyfriend phones me just for a chat. Mainly because he can talk the hind leg off a donkey so I just have to listen, and he cracks me up. I never phone him though. Am antisocial like that.
I don't find it comfortable to talk for extended periods of time on the phone either.
It is with my immediate family and even then, I spend no more than five minutes.

On the other hand, I have a very annoying friend that calls me, I spend about half an hour on the phone most of the time - but that is only because it is a one way conversation. I just ignore him.
Reply 7
When I'm on the phone to my friend for ages, sometimes there aree silent patches, but that's because we're doing other things as well as talking i.e. browsing the internet/revising. Just talk about what you're doing :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by synthpopx
When I'm on the phone to my friend for ages, sometimes there aree silent patches, but that's because we're doing other things as well as talking i.e. browsing the internet/revising. Just talk about what you're doing :smile:

Lol that just seems to be taking phone calls to a whole new level.
Reply 9
I find it awkward to talk on the phone with people.

But my friend who recently moved back to her country France, I've talk to her on the phone for 4 hours straight!
Reply 10
I though I was the only one! Well not the ONLY one. I really dont see how peple have phonecalles for hours. I don't even do that with friends that I chat to every day and have done for the past 7 years!

Yeah I use to have major 2 hour long convos with people, but just felt awkard, like the convo's weren't dry, but all you end up doing is having convos about bull****. Even when you are doing other stuff like homeworking or msning or whatever...
Original post by Skill
Lol that just seems to be taking phone calls to a whole new level.

Lol what do you mean?
Reply 12
So you leave the convo going whilst revising or looking at the internet? Almost as if you're sat next to your friend and chilling out. I don't know - seems strange to me.
Reply 13
I only chat with my boyfriend on the phone. Otherwise I never chat for the hell of it.
yea personally wouldn't

if your going to be on the phone for 4hours why not talk in person for 4 hoirs at least u can see them imo
Back when I had a home phone, and it was free after 6pm if you called to another BT phone, I used to phone my best friend and talk for three hours or so. To be fair we were around 12, and it would just descend into us making 'funny' noises by the end.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending