The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Scroll to see replies

Reply 860
Original post by rachelullsy
Sociology, Theology & Religious Studies yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay :smile: !!!

I'm thinking the Boxercise, Yoga and Cross Country Societies look pretty sick! I'll probs just join all the fun ones :rolleyes:

there should totally be a Glee society!!! :colondollar:

I'm doing french with theology and religious studies! nice to see that someone else is doing theology and religious studies was begining to think i'd be all alone haha :smile: xx
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 861
Original post by annafrancesca
Has anyone else got an offer for sociology theology and religious studies?
So excited! Think it may be my firm.

I'm hopefully doing french and theology and religious studies!
Reply 862
Still don't know whether to firm Leeds or York for Politics. Can anyone help? Leaning towards Leeds but want some good reasons to take the plunge.
Reply 863
Hi :smile:
I've firmed Leeds for Spanish, but now I think I want to do Spanish and Italian joint honours. Does anyone know if i'll be able to do this, and how I should go about it?
Original post by jeffercake
Aww haha, where are you from?
At least i'll be a Yorkshire lass in Yorkshire *awesome*

Yorkshire too ;D People not from here are ALWAYS trying 'do me' :erm:
Original post by Muffinz
Neither can I - can't wait to be called a farmer and asked how the cows are getting on!

LOL! That is pretty funny to be fair. Maybe the first few times :colondollar:
Original post by oe43
Hi :smile:
I've firmed Leeds for Spanish, but now I think I want to do Spanish and Italian joint honours. Does anyone know if i'll be able to do this, and how I should go about it?

Email the modern languages department at the university directly, explaining your situation and attach an alternative personal statement. It worked for me, but I did it before the Jan 15 deadline so in your case the course might be full already. The sooner the better really.

If they say no, you could always go for Spanish and see if you like it, or try to change to Spanish and Italian once at the uni. Or you could do Spanish and take Italian floater modules :smile:

Original post by Teh User
Still don't know whether to firm Leeds or York for Politics. Can anyone help? Leaning towards Leeds but want some good reasons to take the plunge.

Have you looked at league tables (wildly inaccurate as they can be?) - which one is better for Politics? Which has the more interesting modules (they should be listed on the departmental sites)? Which campus and city did you prefer? I'd say come to Leeds, but I'm biased :awesome:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 867
Original post by Bella Occhi
Email the modern languages department at the university directly, explaining your situation and attach an alternative personal statement. It worked for me, but I did it before the Jan 15 deadline so in your case the course might be full already. The sooner the better really.

If they say no, you could always go for Spanish and see if you like it, or try to change to Spanish and Italian once at the uni. Or you could do Spanish and take Italian floater modules :smile:

Have you looked at league tables (wildly inaccurate as they can be?) - which one is better for Politics? Which has the more interesting modules (they should be listed on the departmental sites)? Which campus and city did you prefer? I'd say come to Leeds, but I'm biased :awesome:

Leeds is in the mid 20s rather than York's 9th, but Leeds is Russell Group which I can't get away from as a Russell Group Uni is respected regardless of rankings. Leeds is Politics only and I want some International Relations mixed in potentially (York is Politics and International Relations) but another student has told me I can mix that in. I also want some other electives mixed in as well so it's a really hard decision. :s-smilie:

I'm concerned about Leeds' crime rate coming from a rural county but from what I see York isn't much better and Leeds as a bigger city seems generally much better. Will have to look through the modules again.
Leeds is in the mid 20s rather than York's 9th, but Leeds is Russell Group which I can't get away from as a Russell Group Uni is respected regardless of rankings. Leeds is Politics only and I want some International Relations mixed in potentially (York is Politics and International Relations) but another student has told me I can mix that in. I also want some other electives mixed in as well so it's a really hard decision. :s-smilie:

I'm concerned about Leeds' crime rate coming from a rural county but from what I see York isn't much better and Leeds as a bigger city seems generally much better. Will have to look through the modules again.

I come from a low-crime area too and I hadn't even considered crime rates as a factor. I think in any big city you're going to have a certain level of crime but I don't think that that should really affect your choice over which university you go to - after all, London has a relatively high level of crime but it's one of the best cities in the world to study in.

Don't forget York is in the 1994 group which is also well respected.

You could always email the unis and ask about the module options :h:
Reply 869
I come from a low-crime area too and I hadn't even considered crime rates as a factor. I think in any big city you're going to have a certain level of crime but I don't think that that should really affect your choice over which university you go to - after all, London has a relatively high level of crime but it's one of the best cities in the world to study in.

Don't forget York is in the 1994 group which is also well respected.

You could always email the unis and ask about the module options :h:

Probably will email them at some point. I'm just a bit scared of crime since when I went to London last year I was nearly mugged at one point (managed to run away) so it was a fairly eye opening experience so it's sort of put me off living in a big city just a tiny bit.

York is in the 1994 Group, but that's a smaller research group than the Russell Group. I suppose it's just going to be a case of more reading tomorrow. Want to get this out of the way by the end of the week after all.
Heyy, I've firmed Leeds to study Physics but don't know which accomodation to go for!

I swear I remember on the applicant visit day being shown accomodation that is right next to the Physics dept. and you actually go through a walkway (so you don't go outside) to get from your accomodation to the Physics bit..no idea hwat that's called though! But it's new! What is it??

Also I've extensively shortlisted Devonshire Hall, Leodis, Montague mayybeee, and also Tannery coz of it's studio flats, and maybe Opal 3..if that counts..help!! Thanks :smile:
Reply 871
Original post by Preetinder
Heyy, I've firmed Leeds to study Physics but don't know which accomodation to go for!

I swear I remember on the applicant visit day being shown accomodation that is right next to the Physics dept. and you actually go through a walkway (so you don't go outside) to get from your accomodation to the Physics bit..no idea hwat that's called though! But it's new! What is it??

Also I've extensively shortlisted Devonshire Hall, Leodis, Montague mayybeee, and also Tannery coz of it's studio flats, and maybe Opal 3..if that counts..help!! Thanks :smile:

:coma: how tempted i was to study physics
Hope that's not sarcastic :P Whyy did you not pick it then?
It's too good to not study at Uni! ^^
Reply 873
Original post by Preetinder
Hope that's not sarcastic :P Whyy did you not pick it then?
It's too good to not study at Uni! ^^

Haha it's not. I find it fun to study but not a feasible career option for me
Probably will email them at some point. I'm just a bit scared of crime since when I went to London last year I was nearly mugged at one point (managed to run away) so it was a fairly eye opening experience so it's sort of put me off living in a big city just a tiny bit.

York is in the 1994 Group, but that's a smaller research group than the Russell Group. I suppose it's just going to be a case of more reading tomorrow. Want to get this out of the way by the end of the week after all.

Oh dear, it sounds to me like you got unlucky - I regularly visit London and I've never ever experienced anything like that. I do get what you mean but I don't think the student population will be all that affected by crime - they give out a lot of safety tips and apparently accommodation is patrolled at night (the TSR Wiki page says James Baillie Park is, I don't know about the others).

I think wherever you go will be good, so yes, hopefully you can come to a decision. Update us when you do :smile:
Reply 875
Original post by hoopyfrood199
Oh, can't wait to get the piss taken for my accent!

I think I've got the best one-from living in Oxfordshire 'til I was six, and then moving to Lancashire, I have a vaguely (okay, often quite strong) Lancashire accent that occasionally sounds southern (especially when I'm on the phone...) and goes Northern Irish when I'm tired...
Original post by FinnC
I think I've got the best one-from living in Oxfordshire 'til I was six, and then moving to Lancashire, I have a vaguely (okay, often quite strong) Lancashire accent that occasionally sounds southern (especially when I'm on the phone...) and goes Northern Irish when I'm tired...

You probably win! :p:

I'm just plain generically Southern really.

You were extremly unlucky in London. I've lived there nearly 19 years and I've never felt threatened, I've walked through parts of the city on my own at night (im a girl) and had no problems.
Reply 878
Original post by jelly1000
You were extremly unlucky in London. I've lived there nearly 19 years and I've never felt threatened, I've walked through parts of the city on my own at night (im a girl) and had no problems.

To be fair I'd been several times before and felt completely safe as I was in the centre. I find Central London as safe as any other major city and I've even walked around Central London and some of West London at midnight happily. The mistake was having a hotel in the East End where I made the mistake of making eye contact (only for a second) with some local youths. I was very close to the hotel but they decided to chase me and demanded my wallet and phone but I got into the hotel. Felt safe in Central London the next day but was very very cautious in that area after that and petrified during having a meal in the hotel restaurant where I could view the place that the youths were congregating the night before.

My town has some fairly rough areas and I live around one, but it's small enough that crime isn't violent crime and generally the chavs keep themselves to themselves. I think the news has just scared me after hearing of gangland killings in London, Liverpool, Birmingham and other major cities.

In other news, I'm closer to firming Leeds now. Just seems more right the more I think about it.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 879
You probably win! :p:

I'm just plain generically Southern really.

What does a Southern accent even sound like?! I'm South-East. By that i mean, Essex. haha :smile:

Latest