The Student Room Group

How the British Royal Family earns YOU £2.60 every year

So, you hate the Monarchy do you.

This is the BEST YouTube video I've seen on the subject. I was on the fence, now I'm a Royalist

All this "my taxpayers money spent on this..." banality (usually from people who pay little of any meaningful tax".

This video illustrates the way in which the deal between Parliament and the Crown Estates earns every person in the UK at LEAST £2.60, nevermind the £0.65p we supposedly pay each every year for the upkeep of the institution.

JUST WATCH IT.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhyYgnhhKFw&feature=relmfu

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Nice video.

Not exactly going to stop them though, is it?
I always wondered why this is never mentioned in the media. They always say the Royal Family only cost £40 million a year as an argument for keeping them, but surely the fact that they generate a tidy profit is a better argument?
Reply 3
I'd pay more than that to get rid of them. A lot more.
Reply 4
Irrelevant. Having a Royal Family is unfair in the extreme.
Reply 5
I'd easily forgo £2.60 if it somehow meant Britain would no longer have a royal family.
Reply 6
Seen it before.

It does get ride of the 'but they cost us money' argument, but that won't stop the idiots from coming up with other crazy reasons to want to get rid of them.
Reply 7
Original post by Rant
I'd pay more than that to get rid of them. A lot more.

Original post by kerily
I'd easily forgo £2.60 if it somehow meant Britain would no longer have a royal family.

Why?

Original post by Zürich
Irrelevant. Having a Royal Family is unfair in the extreme.

Some people are born with money, some aren't. Sure it's unfair. Life is unfair.
Reply 8
Kebab and chips down my road is more expensive than that.
Reply 9
If the lands were owned by the state we could keep the £200 million instead of paying the royals...
Reply 10
alcohol. that is all.
I hate the royal family because I can only afford to buy eight Ferraris, whereas the Queen can afford a whole fleet.

LIFE IS UNFAIR.
Reply 12
Original post by joe3469
If the lands were owned by the state we could keep the £200 million instead of paying the royals...

If the land was owned by the state rather than by private landowners you could guarantee they'd never make a profit again.

And you'll never be able to stop people passing their possessions onto their children.
Reply 13
But I pay almost £200 of taxes a month.
Reply 14
Original post by joe3469

So the state can just go and snatch The Queen's property? Is it O.K for it to just claim your stuff as well?
Reply 15
Original post by Tesphena
So the state can just go and snatch The Queen's property? Is it O.K for it to just claim your stuff as well?

Yes, especially if she didn't earn it.
Reply 16
Genuine question, how did they get that land in the first place? Did they just take it on the basis of being a monarch?
Original post by Tesphena

The Queen's property? How is it her property?

It's the people's property. **** the monarchy.
Reply 18
Original post by Drewski
If the land was owned by the state rather than by private landowners you could guarantee they'd never make a profit again.

And you'll never be able to stop people passing their possessions onto their children.

Why not, why does changing ownership affect income? The only thing that would change is the £40 million that goes back to the people. Why should such a small elite group own most of the land?
I saw a counter video to that a few days ago;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2IO5ifWKdw
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending