The Student Room Group

Is this rape?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Another reason to hate Israel.
Reply 21
Dodgy bugger.

Lying about something significant in order to get something is wrong. I'm not sure whether I'd call this rape, but it's certainly not right if indeed it's true.

Whilst there may be some racial tensions underlying it, I think the BBC's report that "one man who told women he slept with he was a neurosurgeon in order to impress them was convicted of fraud" shows that the law is applied broadly, not just for racial issues.
Original post by Elbonian
I agree. There was a recent BBC documentary that portrayed the typical Israeli view of Palestinians. It's disgusting to think that humans can treat others in such a derogatory manner based on colour of skin and beliefs. Of course, I'm sure that these views aren't shared by all Israelis, but it has to be a concensus if the legal system is that biased against Arabs.

If it was a British Christian on holiday, he wouldn't have been charged for 'rape by deception'. So much for an advanced, modern and civilized society.

What's ridiculous is how everyone in our country just assumes the BBC are unbiased. There is a wave of anti-zionism at the moment (I'm not actually a zionist, but I can still recognise this) and as usual, everyone just follows like sheep and accept the viewpoint of whatever documentary is aired, as obviously if it's a documentary it must all be completely true. It isn't that the legal system is biased against Arabs. As can be seen from the other example of a neuroscientist who was also convicted it is just that they take sleeping with someone fraudently as a very serious thing, yes it wouldn't be looked on the same way in Britain but of course, we have entirely different cultures. People should learn not to be sheep and read newspaper articles from other countries too to get a full viewpoint before they take up an opinion against a country. But that's just my $0.02
Original post by captainthis
What's ridiculous is how everyone in our country just assumes the BBC are unbiased. There is a wave of anti-zionism at the moment (I'm not actually a zionist, but I can still recognise this) and as usual, everyone just follows like sheep and accept the viewpoint of whatever documentary is aired, as obviously if it's a documentary it must all be completely true. It isn't that the legal system is biased against Arabs. As can be seen from the other example of a neuroscientist who was also convicted it is just that they take sleeping with someone fraudently as a very serious thing, yes it wouldn't be looked on the same way in Britain but of course, we have entirely different cultures. People should learn not to be sheep and read newspaper articles from other countries too to get a full viewpoint before they take up an opinion against a country. But that's just my $0.02

That's fair enough but you gotta wonder that if it were an Arab accusing an Israeli of the same crime what the verdict would be.
Original post by JunoThePaycock
That's fair enough but you gotta wonder that if it were an Arab accusing an Israeli of the same crime what the verdict would be.

If it were a Jewish man and an Arab woman I genuinely think the verdict would be the same. Do you think no Jews in Israel are convicted of crime and it's only Arabs who are given a verdict? Anyway, I don't think politically Israel could afford to let a case like that slip if it happened, it would be all over the news in every anti-Israeli country in a second.
Original post by Stefan1991
Another reason to hate Israel.

This exactly proves my point (whether you're joking or not) People in our country will lap up every shred they can to add to the 'I hate Israel' pile. Stuff like this goes on in every single country all the time but because it's Israel, the BBC make a huge fuss about it.
Reply 26
Original post by captainthis

I've never claimed that the BBC are perfect and totally exempt from bias. I even acknowledged that not every Israeli shares the same view. The 'victim' in context could have asked for I.D. if she was really that concerned. Who's to say she wasn't leading him on? The judiciary in Israel is notoriously biased against Arabs.

I'm not saying what the Arab did was right. I'm having a go at the Israeli legal system. In my opinion, 18 months for something like that is excessive.

Are you claiming that the Israeli legal system isn't biased against Arabs? Explain the preventative laws in land use, jobs and homes. It's classic bigotry.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by L i b
Dodgy bugger.

Lying about something significant in order to get something is wrong. I'm not sure whether I'd call this rape, but it's certainly not right if indeed it's true.

Whilst there may be some racial tensions underlying it, I think the BBC's report that "one man who told women he slept with he was a neurosurgeon in order to impress them was convicted of fraud" shows that the law is applied broadly, not just for racial issues.

Yes he got convicted of fraud not rape regardless of what he said in the end they had consensual sex. She wasn't forced and from what I read the reason why she thought he was Jewish was because he said his name was David he never actually said he was Jewish.
Original post by L i b
Dodgy bugger.

Just how many men (and women) would get arrested in the UK for lying to get someone in bed? :rolleyes:
Reply 29
If it was illegal to lie and get laid then people would not be getting laid in this country! Absolutely ridiculous.
Reply 30
Original post by L i b
Dodgy bugger.

It's very hypocritical, particularly when something as minor as 'lying for consentual sex' is considered fraudulent when the Israeli government is known for its lying and deceit.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 31
Original post by tface
If it was illegal to lie and get laid then people would not be getting laid in this country! Absolutely ridiculous.

Precisely.
Reply 32
Original post by canimakeit
She wasn't forced and from what I read the reason why she thought he was Jewish was because he said his name was David he never actually said he was Jewish.

That's not the woman's position, it's the position of the accused. Frankly if you go about lying about something major like that, it isn't consensual.
Reply 33
Anyone citing the "i'm a neurosurgeon" case needs to have a serious think about whether they'd rather be convicted of fraud or rape
Original post by Zitheris
Sabbar Kashur, 30, was found guilty of "rape by deception" by the Israeli court and sentenced to 18 months in jail.

According to the complaint filed by the woman, the two met in a Jerusalem street in 2008 and had sex that day.

When she discovered he was not Jewish, but an Arab, she went to the police.

Kashur was arrested and charged with rape and indecent assault, but the charges were later replaced by a different charge of "rape by deception".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-10717186

I found this quite amusing... thoughts?

"Rape by deception -" that's ridiculous. You can't deceive someone into having non-consensual sex.

Sometimes, I think the Middle East need to grow up a bit in their values.
Original post by Elbonian
He didn't steal money from her, they participated in consensual sex. It's ludicrous to have him charged for anything. Even if there's some sort of law prohibiting Jews and Arabs from fornicating, it may follow the public interest, but it shows how little progress Israel has made since its Inception.

There is no law preventing Jews and Arabs having sex, marrying, etc - Israel isn't THAT bad yet! I can see her argument, though I don't think I agree with it: she gave consent on the basis that he was Jewish and serious about having a relationship. If the basis was wrong, then her consent was unfounded, and could logically be said to not exist. The problem with the argument is that a lot of people tell little lies to get off with someone, so it's a slippery slope.
Original post by L i b
That's not the woman's position, it's the position of the accused. Frankly if you go about lying about something major like that, it isn't consensual.

It is consensual if you willingly have sex with someone it is by definition not rape. Which is a crime of forcing someone to commit sexual intercourse. The fact is she chose to have sex with him regretting it later doesn't make it rape it makes it regretted sex.

I am sure many people have regretted their decision to have sex with someone at one time or another. Doesn't mean I should find something they lied about and prosecute for rape.
Lol, gotta love Israel. :rolleyes:

I totally agree with the post above.

People lie to get laid all the time. It's called "dating".
Reply 38
Original post by canimakeit
It is consensual if you willingly have sex with someone it is by definition not rape. Which is a crime of forcing someone to commit sexual intercourse.

Nope. Rape simply means non-consensual sex, no element of force is required.

Consent was not give to sleeping with this man. You may as well go around homes for the mentally ill and convince women that you're their husband - consent needs to be on the basis of a mutual and honest understanding.
Reply 39
Original post by L i b
Nope. Rape simply means non-consensual sex, no element of force is required.

Consent was not give to sleeping with this man. You may as well go around homes for the mentally ill and convince women that you're their husband - consent needs to be on the basis of a mutual and honest understanding.

consent just needs to be "yes" it doesn't need to be based on anything

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending