The Student Room Group

POST HERE For Discussion About The DEATH OF OSAMA BIN LADEN (Updated)

Poll

Osama's death?

I'm just in a WTF state-of-mind right now; what will the implications be? Good, bad?

Crowds have gathered rather quickly in front of the White House and the Twin Tower sites too; rightly, I assume it shall be quite a jovial atmosphere in the US/UK/World today.

Al-Qaeda leader Bin Laden 'dead'

Al-Qaeda founder and leader Osama Bin Laden has been killed by US forces, President Barack Obama has said.

The al-Qaeda leader was killed in a ground operation based on US intelligence, the first lead of which emerged last August.

Mr Obama said after "a firefight" US forces took possession of his body.

Bin Laden was accused of being behind a number of atrocities, including the attacks on New York and Washington on 11 September 2001.

He was top of the US "most wanted" list.

Crowds gathered outside the White House in Washington DC, chanting "USA, USA" after the news emerged.

Bin Laden approved the 9/11 attacks in which nearly 3,000 people died, saying later that the results had exceeded his expectations.

He evaded the forces of the US and its allies for almost a decade, despite a $25m bounty on his head.

His death will be seen as a major blow to al-Qaeda but also raise fears of reprisal attacks, correspondents say.

Source - BBC (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-13256676)

Obama and his team watching live when the operation was being carried out; Obama is such a bad-ass.

Summary;

(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reports are saying he was killed by U.S. personnel. Wow. Quite the surprise on this Sunday night.
Reply 2
Original post by Ano1
Sky news reporting it now.

without Jesus he is with Jesus he will live forever
Yes, on the news and radio now, no joke (about it being reported). Who knows what the real truth is?!
Reply 4
Yep, saw a quick 'update' on NY times.
Seems strange given the amount of 'he's probably dead' comments made by various people over the years, shall have to wait and see the story.

Edit: Killed by ground firefight in pakistan, no americans injured, body taken.

Appropriate jokes.

'Well then.. Perhaps Osama shouldn't have used his real name and address when making his PSN account'.

'He still holds the world championship for hide and seek'

'The Osama news overtook tonight's episode of The Apprentice. Well played, Obama.'

'Donald Trump is already demanding to see Osama bin Laden's long form death certificate'

Wanna see fox news late reaction?

Spoiler

(edited 12 years ago)
Holy Moly. I totally wasn't expecting that to be a serious thread (despite your 'serious!' label!) I'm guessing there's going to be some hefty backlash for this one...
I can almost guarantee this is real. The President would never give a press conference about this unless it was 100% confirmed he was dead.
Original post by DorianGrayism
I remember people on Twitter were saying Jackie Chan was dead, so I wouldn't really trust a story that is on twitter.

I have looked on BBC, but there is nothing there. However, it is getting a lot of press coverage on American news networks, so it could be true.

I am not sure what difference it will make in the long term. I don't think he had that much power anyway.

Look on Sky news then...
Reply 8
On BBC News although not confirmed
Reply 10
Original post by DorianGrayism

I have looked on BBC, but there is nothing there. However, it is getting a lot of press coverage on American news networks, so it could be true. .

It's right on the BBC front page :rolleyes:
Reply 11
Original post by ibysaiyan

EDIT: It seems like Obama is trying to pretend that something major has happened i.e something good has been accomplished by the apparent death of Osama :rolleyes:

He has every right to announce this news in an address and given the nature of the wars (i.e. there really isn't any goal which signifies winning), Osama's death may just be the tangible thing needed to convey at least head-way being made against the Taliban.

If anything, at least an atrocious murderer (please save the "US is the real murderer" comments for someone else, as I'm specifically talking about Osama here) is not in this world anymore.
Original post by Tommyjw
It's right on the BBC front page :rolleyes:

It must have literally changed in the last couple of minutes. 10 minutes ago I was looking at it and there wasn't anything.
Original post by f00ddude
YAY we won :smile:

if winning is the extensive loss of live involved in bringing down 1 **** of a man

not quite. He's now a martyr. Al Qaeda is not one man, it is a system of beliefs. Quite unbeatable really. It was probably a bad move to kill him.
Reply 14
Obama's about to address the US nation, according to the BBC news channel.
Reply 15
Twitter is flooded with such speculation and Obama is said to give us a speech about this.

Given such reports I shall take it with a pinch if salt until it is confirmed.

I am keeping tabs on this via radio
Original post by Rule_of_law
not quite. He's now a martyr. Al Qaeda is not one man, it is a system of beliefs. Quite unbeatable really. It was probably a bad move to kill him.

How come he's a martyr ?
From when did al-qaeada become some sort of caliphate.
:rolleyes:
/Thread
Reply 17
Original post by Rule_of_law

CRAP your right, weve just opened the gate for revenge attacks :frown:
Reply 18
Insomnia has its advantages. I knew about Michael Jackson's death before loads of other people, now this too. Brill.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending