The Student Room Group

Is Osama's death going to make Obama popular?

I've been hearing chitchat that he was unlikely to be elected for a second term because some Americans don't agree with his reforms. Do we reckon that this killing of the elusive al-Qaeda leader will make him more popular with the American public?
Opinions?

NB: I nearly cried during his speech. What a beautiful man :colondollar:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yeah it deff. will, a lot of the people who refuse to accept policies that actually care for people like to see strength in thier president, it could sway some more republican thinking independents.
Reply 2
It could do, as it already is being spoken of as an achievement
Reply 3
2012 election campaign "who got bin laden? yeh thats right vote for me"
It could do.

I remember when they got Saddam, Bush's ratings went up.
Wont make difference. Bin Laden's been largely anonymous for years now. They'll be still be troops in Afghanistan getting killed.
Original post by DorianGrayism
It could do.

I remember when they got Saddam, Bush's ratings went up.

Yeah briefly then went back down again 2 weeks later.
You could tell by his speech that he was trying so hard to not go

'We rocked em, we killed that motherfooker! Did you see that air strike? phewwmmmm! proved you red necks in the south wrong didn't I? told you I'd get that son of a bitch. Remember this when the next election comes along. God bless you America'

^ he definitely wanted to say that. NQAT!
Reply 8
Original post by AreYouDizzeeBlud_x
You could tell by his speech that he was trying so hard to not go

'We rocked em, we killed that motherfooker! Did you see that air strike? phewwmmmm! proved you red necks in the south wrong didn't I? told you I'd get that son of a bitch. Remember this when the next election comes along. God bless you America'

^ he definitely wanted to say that. NQAT!

Well.. it wasn't an airstrike.
But i agree with the concept ;D

*Walk on like a bad ass*
*List all the bad things he has done and caused*
*Oh btw.. we got him :cool: *
*Walk off like a bad ass*
Yes. This is a huge victory for Obama, and it's pretty much guaranteed him another year in office :colondollar:
Original post by Hazular
I've been hearing chitchat that he was unlikely to be elected for a second term because some Americans don't agree with his reforms. $

Do you even have the faintest idea of US politics? Pretty much every opinion poll showed Obama trouncing his Republican counterparts, and this before the news of Osama's death was released.

This will certainly help his election, but more importantly too, the economy needs to improve - though signs are, it is.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by xEndeavors
Yes. This is a huge victory for Obama, and it's pretty much guaranteed him another year in office :colondollar:

No it hasn't. The economy is sour and jobs are the number one priority. The war on terror is so last decade. Obama could make Afghanistan his Vietnam yet. That war will just go on and on.
Original post by Sharpshooter
The economy is sour and jobs are the number one priority.

The economy isn't sour; the recovery is fragile (i.e. things like $100+ barrel oil prices could have material impacts), but growth is coming along quite nicely. Just seeing last weeks manufacturing numbers made me fall out of my chair somewhat; add to that non-farm payrolls and new-starts being higher, and things are looking up.
As a candidate, during the 2008 election campaign Obama repeatedly vowed: "We will kill Osama bin Laden." And so it proved.

The fact it was one of his main promises in 2008 and he has actually done it, well not him but he is Cheif Commander of the US Army so he gets some credit too, means YES he will be more popular.

Can't believe his actually dead. NEVER thought they would catch him.
He'll be reelected regardless. Not because he is popular but because he has raised a billion dollars for campaigning and the Republicans don't appear to have any 'heavy weight' politicians who will run against him. They seem to be biding their time to take the presidency after obamas second term.
Original post by manchild007

This will certainly help his election, but more importantly too, the economy needs to improve - though signs are, it is.

It will make no difference if he doesn't "end" the war on terror. Afghanistan's turning into a quagmire, they've got Bin Laden, get out and run I say and use that as the ending point. It may make Obama look like an effective commander and chief. But other than that, it's the economy stupid. Don't let Afghanistan become a Vietnam and waste resources over there.
Original post by PortiaLovesMcqueen
As a candidate, during the 2008 election campaign Obama repeatedly vowed: "We will kill Osama bin Laden." And so it proved.

He didn't do anything it was Petraeus, the same clowns Bush had in charge. This makes no difference for me whatsoever. Great for the families of 9/11 but I doubt this changes things very much.
Original post by Sharpshooter
It will make no difference if he doesn't "end" the war on terror. Afghanistan's turning into a quagmire, they've got Bin Laden, get out and run I say and use that as the ending point. It may make Obama look like an effective commander and chief. But other than that, it's the economy stupid. Don't let Afghanistan become a Vietnam and waste resources over there.

We're talking about Obama's reelection, and that shall be dependent on the economy, period. Sure his decisions in Afghanistan shall have an effect, but there isn't enough of a political divide to create this into an election issue. The economy however - you have two polar opposite proposals from the Democrats and Republicans, on how to continue making the economy grow, and on how to reduce the deficit. "Its the economy stupid" is what shall decide the election, though Osama dying doesn't hurt Obama either.
Reply 18
Original post by Tommyjw
Well.. it wasn't an airstrike.
But i agree with the concept ;D

*Walk on like a bad ass*
*List all the bad things he has done and caused*
*Oh btw.. we got him :cool: *
*Walk off like a bad ass*

I loved the walk off loll!!
Reply 19
Am I the only one up at 5.30 am in UK?

Quick Reply