The Student Room Group

Cancel Unconditional Uni Place

Hi, I need a little advice. I've accepted an unconditional place at university starting in september. The problem is I need to move to another city so won't be able to take my place up and am not sure on the situation with regards cancelling my place as its unconditional? Also I may be able to take up a place on a course at the local college but i've used all my five ucas options?

Any advice would be great, thanks.
Original post by Andybonaire
Hi, I need a little advice. I've accepted an unconditional place at university starting in september. The problem is I need to move to another city so won't be able to take my place up and am not sure on the situation with regards cancelling my place as its unconditional? Also I may be able to take up a place on a course at the local college but i've used all my five ucas options?

Have you firmed your university? If you have then you may have to phone ucas to see what you need to do as you may have to contact the university and get them to release you.

If you haven't firmed the university, you can decline the offer via track and then go into extra as you have used your five choices. Then you can apply to one course at a time. Otherwise, there is always clearing but this should be a last resort.
Reply 2

Once you've accepted an unconditional you can only take up your place or withdraw from university altogether for the present application cycle. You can't even use Clearing.
I need to move to another city so won't be able to take my place up

Most people go to university in a town or city away from where their permanent home is, so why is this an issue?
Original post by speedbird
Once you've accepted an unconditional you can only take up your place or withdraw from university altogether for the present application cycle. You can't even use Clearing.

Pretty sure you can... It's no different to being released on results day (when you have an unconditional offer) and plenty of people manage that.
Reply 5
Original post by TheSownRose
Pretty sure you can... It's no different to being released on results day (when you have an unconditional offer) and plenty of people manage that.

Well the AS12 letter you get when you accept an unconditional is a lie then?

I'd already been released from my unconditional at York by the time my AS12 arrived. It's not exactly a lie, it's not part of the normal UCAS procedure ... but there are ways around it.
Original post by TheSownRose

You're right - as long as you've paid the full application fee, and applied during the current application year (i.e. not a deferred applicant from the 2010 cycle), you can be released into Clearing by your UF university once Clearing starts in July.

It's frowned upon because people only tend to request to be released once they have been 'accepted' elsewhere, which means that the new university has 'poached' the applicant... which is why Adjustment was introduced to make it all above board for those applicants who do better than expected... but your UF choice can release you into Clearing once it starts in July.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending