The Student Room Group

POST HERE For Discussion About The DEATH OF OSAMA BIN LADEN (Updated)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Guru Jason
He didnt die yesterday... He was killed last August. read the bbc.

obamas press release said they got the lead in august the death was last night bro
Reply 401

You'd have thought that'd be pretty conclusive proof. But no, people will just incorporate that into their elaborate conspiracy theories which would probably take far more time and effort than just killing Bin Laden would :rolleyes:
Reply 402
Original post by daemongreen
Do you realise that the constant showing of the picture isn't such a greath thing?

This is what I read on CNN

'The founder and leader of al Qaeda was killed by U.S. forces Monday in a mansion in Abbottabad, north of the Pakistani capital of Islamabad, along with other family members, a senior U.S. official told CNN.'

Has anyone else heard about Osama having family members..?

Anyhow...Why the hell did they have to kill family members aswell!

What has the picture got to do with them killing his family. Why did you quote me? :confused:

Yeah it's widespread that members of his family have also been killed. Unfortunate and, unless they were directly involved, I don't think they deserved it. (Although it's easy to say they were involved directly by living with him)
I would be very surprised if the US decided to release video or photographic evidence of the dead body given the reaction to the release of pictures of Che Guevara's body. However I think that they will attempt to have this independently verified as many times as possible by as wide a range of sources as possible using the video and photographic evidence, and perhaps samples from the body.

But this was the first time I think I've genuinely been shocked by a news story since 9/11. You can see everything else coming these days - wars are no longer very surprising. I don't know how to react. The taking of any human life is never something to be celebrated and I fear it will be widely celebrated rather than acknowledged in the US, but equally he was the leader of a terrorist group that has killed innocents around the world.

It's a pretty major victory for the US and it's allies, whatever others may say.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by algérie_mon_amour
I always wondered, why did it take them so long to find him ? :s-smilie:
It only took them few days to get Saddam from underground!
But anyway, he would have never been able to escape from death nor will he ever be able to escape from the hell waiting for him.

Because he stayed on the move and traveled within the cave systems.

Coalition UAVs and satalites couldn't find/track him. There's only so much area helicopter and aircraft recon can survey, too. And Pathfinder / Special Forces teams couldn't track them across the landscape, either.

Gotta hand it to him; Best Hide and Seek player ten years running.
Original post by in_your_face
read on BBC, he was "buried in the sea"

now that sounds a bit fishy!
Wow, I know I'm on this website too much when student room is the first place I here about this :s-smilie:
Reply 407
I highly doubt it was a lie but the real question is what will happen now. I suspect there will be a retaliation attack on America / Allied Forces. Americans (generalisation) seem to think all terrorist acts are done on the whim of Osama Bin Laden so now that he's dead, there will be no more attacks.
This is interesting, apparently a guy on twitter who lives in Abbottabad live tweeted what was going on without really know it.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-13257940

here's his twitter account
http://twitter.com/#!/ReallyVirtual

Edit: I see this was posted already...
Reply 409
Original post by surina_xxx
now that sounds a bit fishy!

Let's hope it's not a red herring!
I think its all a bit sketchy, something doesn't make sense. It doesn't seem right.
However, I do think we are probably in line for another terror attack. We boast about it, but it's only bin laden thats supposedly dead. All of his followers are still alive.
I guess only time will tell.
Reply 411
Well if he's not dead, then what's to stop Osama posting a video this afternoon showing he's still alive - which would then completely and utterly destroy Obama's election campaign, and the government's credibility. Herp derp, no government is that stupid.
Original post by lawology
I don't think they would say he was dead if they weren't ABSOLUTELY sure. Can you imagine the reaction if he popped up in the next few years saying 'hey guys, still here...hurhurhur.' and it's not as if the US government and Bin Laden have such a great relationship they could ask him to 'lie low' for a little while...How would that go?
Obama: Look Bin Laden, I know we've had our differences in the past, but I'd really like to be re elected and your death would really help my poll numbers...Just do me a favour and no more video's for a while - yeah?
Bin Laden:... -.-

Considering hes x-CIA im sure they have some sort of understanding.
I must say I'm very skeptical. Members of the CIA have admitted to making the odd fake Bin Laden video in the past and it has been widely discussed among those in the know that Bin Laden died possibly as long ago as 2001, possibly even murdered. You're also going to try and tell me that he was in a fortified mansion in Pakistan for however long and it took the CIA this long to find him? Something smells in here, better open the window.

Add to this that his involvement in 9/11 has never been properly proven, and that Al Qaeda were given the name by the CIA. Looks like Emmanuel Goldstein outlived his purpose huh? Yes, they have released a photo purportedly of his body, but prove to me that the photo really is of Bin Laden and that it dates from the day of the raid that supposedly killed him.
(edited 12 years ago)
So, what does this mean for relations between Pakistan and America? America need Pakistan to fight these insurgents in Afghanistan, and certainly won't be able to do it with an entire country sitting against them.

It seems to me that Obama had a difficult choice to make. On the one hand, he knew where Osama was and could kill the most wanted man alive; on the other, he would risk relations with Pakistan who he definitely needs in the long haul.

Although... does anyone else think that there's a bigger picture to all of this? I mean we had this communist ideology in the latter 1900's which America saw as a threat to their own and they stamped it out, while Britain backed them. We now have another ideology which America sees as a threat and is stamping out, whilst Britain is backing them. Does anyone else see a trend?
Reply 415
Original post by in_your_face
That's all weird.

No photographic evidence (apart from some blurry pictures that show some dead Arab - could be anyone)
His body "was buried in the sea" - yeah, right.

I think USA has been chasing a ghost and just found some random similar-looking arab, killed him and now celebrate "we killed number 1 terrorist".

Either Bin Laden has been dead for some years, or he is still alive, but he was not killed by the US soldiers yesterday.

Maybe Osama Bin Laden never even existed.

They're probably laundering money, or something.

I heard the US authorities had the body
There was no point in killing him.

I'm hoping the US made a deal to offer him protection in return for information.
...And let the conspiracy theories begin. :rolleyes:
Someone's gonna be shocked that he DOESN'T have a bunch of virgins waiting for him, but instead will be rotting in hell forever!
Original post by goldenGAZE
This is interesting, apparently a guy on twitter who lives in Abbottabad live tweeted what was going on without really know it.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-13257940

here's his twitter account
http://twitter.com/#!/ReallyVirtual

Edit: I see this was posted already...

That kind of show how powerful the internet can be. This guy posted some of the biggest news of the 21 century as it happened. And he essentially never knew what was really going on lol.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending