The Student Room Group

Any success stories with 2:2s?

I'm freaking out. Don't know what I'll get yet. Worry I'll only get a 2:2. I know of friends with 2:2s who have not been employed yet a year on. But are there any success stories? Also, did you work/intern in the field you want to work in beforehand because I have been doing so.

Nat x

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Depends largely on what degree you did and what job sector you aspire to enter
No, they can't get jobs, go bankrupt, and commit suicide.

*Searches for appropriate picture*

Edit - Heard of sarcasm negging TSRians? Of course there are people who are successful with 2.2s. Heck, there are people who are successful with no GCSE's to their name.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
You'd probably be better off spending your time working to try and get a 2:1 rather than worrying about the 2:2 you haven't even got yet.
Kate Middleton got a 2:2 and she's not doing bad for herself...
Reply 5
Despite what some keen TSR:ists would have you believe when faced with a 2:2, the university you attended can either make or break you. Sadly its true. It's not hard to figure out that a 2:2 would make you less competitive when facing other applicants ergo make it a lot harder for you to find a decent job in this economy.
Reply 6
Original post by INeedToLoseWeight

but kate middleton is ugly... she's looks like a typical chubby english gal these days... no wonder british women are considered the ugliest in the world
Reply 7
Original post by U A
but kate middleton is ugly... she's looks like a typical chubby english gal these days... no wonder british women are considered the ugliest in the world

You must have ridiculously high standards because Kate Middleton is fit
(edited 12 years ago)
If you sell yourself correctly (not in the prostitution sense) then you can probably find a job, granted that you don't apply through the net and go to people and ask about.

However, I would certainly try my level best to get a 2:1. Normally if you're on the borderline you get moved up anyway. (ie a 59% can be moved up to a 2:1).
Reply 9

OWLs and NEWTs are supposed to be two years apart, OWLs at year 5 and NEWTs at year 7
Reply 10
Original post by U A

Fat?
Reply 11

I am sure she got a 2:1 in History of Art... I remember reading that both her and Prince William got 2:1s
Reply 12
I graduated with a 2:2 last year and have been unemployed ever since. Make of that what you will.
I know a guy with a Desmond who now works for a very large engineering contractor company in the oil industry (he obviously studied engineering, if you are interested in his degree). I'm 99% certain he interned in the sector he now works in. Nice chap, was going to try and help me get a job at the company he works for.
Original post by znh
I am sure she got a 2:1 in History of Art... I remember reading that both her and Prince William got 2:1s

Yeah I'm pretty sure she got a 2.1...I reckon there will be a surge of applications this year to the St Andrews Geography and Art History departments.
Reply 15
Original post by nataliehannan
I'm freaking out. Don't know what I'll get yet. Worry I'll only get a 2:2. I know of friends with 2:2s who have not been employed yet a year on. But are there any success stories? Also, did you work/intern in the field you want to work in beforehand because I have been doing so.

Nat x

Depends what you did, and how well you can sell it.
Reply 16

As others have said, she got a 2:1...
Reply 17
I know a guy with a third who walked into a job on graduation at the MOD. Depends on your degree really. If it's a degree in a shortage subject then you'll probably do ok. A friend of mine with a 2.2 in Art History with Film Studies struggled but she has managed to get work. Not graduate level work but still some interesting stuff as well as the general retail and office based stuff.

Another friend of mine with a third has a PA job. Not a lot of hours but she got it based on her communication skills - she did linguistics and spanish - and she's very personable. Talked herself into the job.

If you get offered a job at a graduate level, it's very rarely based only on your classification. There are people with 2.1s from Oxford still out of work 6 years after graduation [another person I know] and there are people with thirds and even unclassified degrees who have gone on to do some amazing things. On that final score I know someone with an unclassified degree who got 4 offers to do medicine.
The grade doesn't matter as much now its the skills you gained, you could have a 2:2 with 58% or a 2:1 with 60% its more how you come accross to the employer.
My friend with a 2:2 is on more money at a job at EDF energy than another with a 2:1 who looked for a job in his field for 2 years and now works in recruitment, for one example.
The main downside to a 2:2 is that most graduate schemes are asking for a 2:1. I was cruising for a 2:1 but then that one bloody module is going to screw me up :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending