The Student Room Group

Pregnancy and Parenting Society Mark II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by PrincessAriadne
:eek: Can't believe it's May already - I can now say "My little boy's due next month!" :woo:

How exciting! I am so excited for you, parenthood is amazing! :biggrin:

I hope everyone else is having a lovely bank holiday weekend! x
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 101
Good luck PrincessAriadne!

The first few months suck nadds, but after that parenthood is awesome :smile:
Original post by Tufts
Good luck PrincessAriadne!

The first few months suck nadds, but after that parenthood is awesome :smile:

Haha, why?
Haha, why?

Tufts isn't a newborn baby kinda gal lol
Reply 104
Haha, why?

Baby shock (don't underestimate it), trying to establish breastfeeding, baby only sleeps for 1-2 hour blocks, you're exhausted, you're sore, your hormones are crashing (80% of women get baby blues after giving birth), you feel like a wreck, you look like a wreck (the uterus takes a while to shrink back down so you still look pregnant), your hair may start falling out due to the crash of hormones, you will argue with your partner due to being exhausted, baby looks weird due to being squashed through the birth canal, baby doesn't communicate apart from crying, crying, crying, you're scared because you don't know what you're doing, you may have a split vagina which makes urinating incredibly eye-wateringly painful so everytime you need the toilet you must run the bath and wee in there (water bill rockets), you don't want to go out the house due to looking and feeling a wreck (leading to isolation). I could go on.

Bet you wish you hadn't asked :redface:

Edited to add: you will NOT get rest in hospital (especially if you give birth vaginally) so put that idea to rest right now.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 105
Original post by Tufts
Baby shock (don't underestimate it), trying to establish breastfeeding, baby only sleeps for 1-2 hour blocks, you're exhausted, you're sore, your hormones are crashing (80% of women get baby blues after giving birth), you feel like a wreck, you look like a wreck (the uterus takes a while to shrink back down so you still look pregnant), your hair may start falling out due to the crash of hormones, you will argue with your partner due to being exhausted, baby looks weird due to being squashed through the birth canal, baby doesn't communicate apart from crying, crying, crying, you're scared because you don't know what you're doing, you may have a split vagina which makes urinating incredibly eye-wateringly painful so everytime you need the toilet you must run the bath and wee in there (water bill rockets), you don't want to go out the house due to looking and feeling a wreck (leading to isolation). I could go on.

Bet you wish you hadn't asked :redface:

Edited to add: you will NOT get rest in hospital (especially if you give birth vaginally) so put that idea to rest right now.

This!.I didnt have a vaginal birth with either of mine but add a C section to the above and thats pretty much how I was after both of mine.
Reply 106
Original post by Annie72
This!.I didnt have a vaginal birth with either of mine but add a C section to the above and thats pretty much how I was after both of mine.

I'm dreading it. But at least I know what to expect this time and I know it will pass in a few months.
Tufts: Don't forget the positive parts too!

We found it so much easier second time round, we actually wondered why it was so hard the first time. Honestly, because you already have a routine established with the first, the second one just slots into that almost straight away. You are an expert breastfeeder and you are used to sleep deprivation so it's not really a shock. You'll be great! The hardest thing is getting used to sharing your attention with both children. I read this book: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Three-Shoes-One-Sock-Hairbrush/dp/0304354295 and found it really helped me prepare emotionally and psychologically. I'd really recommend it. It tells it like it is so you'll love it :tongue:
Reply 108
Original post by balloon_parade
Tufts: Don't forget the positive parts too!

We found it so much easier second time round, we actually wondered why it was so hard the first time. Honestly, because you already have a routine established with the first, the second one just slots into that almost straight away. You are an expert breastfeeder and you are used to sleep deprivation so it's not really a shock. You'll be great! The hardest thing is getting used to sharing your attention with both children. I read this book: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Three-Shoes-One-Sock-Hairbrush/dp/0304354295 and found it really helped me prepare emotionally and psychologically. I'd really recommend it. It tells it like it is so you'll love it :tongue:

Thanks chick :smile: I'll buy that book on payday.

You're right that it'll be so much easier breastfeeding this time around. But re: sleep deprivation, I'm lucky that Amy is a good sleeper now. She sleeps from 8.30pm till 6.30am then after boobie in bed she sleeps till 9am. Will all that go down the pan when a screaming newborn comes onto the scene? :s-smilie:
I can't wait!
Original post by Tufts
Thanks chick :smile: I'll buy that book on payday.

You're right that it'll be so much easier breastfeeding this time around. But re: sleep deprivation, I'm lucky that Amy is a good sleeper now. She sleeps from 8.30pm till 6.30am then after boobie in bed she sleeps till 9am. Will all that go down the pan when a screaming newborn comes onto the scene? :s-smilie:

Bella never woke up when Milly cried. Just like Milly didn't wake up when Bella was rampaging round the house. Although Milly cried less than Bella. I guess it's a combination of knowing how to feed properly, when they need winding ect, so you can sort them out much quicker, plus it's less stressful because you know that babies cry and you aren't a failure if they don't stop crying within 10 seconds, I guess they can feel when mum is more relaxed and confident so are less stressed themselves. I found having a second baby an absolute joy and I was similar to you worrying how I would cope and what the dynamics would be like but I just found everything seemed to just work and slot into place.

The hardest things for me were when I went out as when I was feeding Milly, Bella had to be entertained so a bag of toys is a must and also when I was potty training Bella it was a bit tricky but when it comes down to it, you just get on with it and do what you have to!

It will be amazing! :biggrin:
Reply 111
Bella never woke up when Milly cried. Just like Milly didn't wake up when Bella was rampaging round the house. Although Milly cried less than Bella. I guess it's a combination of knowing how to feed properly, when they need winding ect, so you can sort them out much quicker, plus it's less stressful because you know that babies cry and you aren't a failure if they don't stop crying within 10 seconds, I guess they can feel when mum is more relaxed and confident so are less stressed themselves. I found having a second baby an absolute joy and I was similar to you worrying how I would cope and what the dynamics would be like but I just found everything seemed to just work and slot into place.

The hardest things for me were when I went out as when I was feeding Milly, Bella had to be entertained so a bag of toys is a must and also when I was potty training Bella it was a bit tricky but when it comes down to it, you just get on with it and do what you have to!

It will be amazing! :biggrin:

Thanks. Your post was reassuring :smile: I keep trying to give you the thumbs up but it says I have to pass the love around for a bit first.

Are you on Facebook?
Original post by Tufts
Thanks. Your post was reassuring :smile: I keep trying to give you the thumbs up but it says I have to pass the love around for a bit first.

Are you on Facebook?

Glad to be a reassurance, it is quite daunting going through it all again.

Yes. I am friends with a few people on here, I'm Hannah Gardner, profile picture is of some rock (as in the sweets.) not sure if I am found in a general search or just through friends. But I am friends with PMP so check through her :smile:
Reply 113
Glad to be a reassurance, it is quite daunting going through it all again.

Yes. I am friends with a few people on here, I'm Hannah Gardner, profile picture is of some rock (as in the sweets.) not sure if I am found in a general search or just through friends. But I am friends with PMP so check through her :smile:

I've added you :smile:

I think my morning sickness is starting to kick in now. (I'm 6+2). Strangely my nausea is actually sticking to the morning this time! It generally gets better at around midday but until then I can barely move around :s-smilie:
Original post by Tufts
I've added you :smile:

I think my morning sickness is starting to kick in now. (I'm 6+2). Strangely my nausea is actually sticking to the morning this time! It generally gets better at around midday but until then I can barely move around :s-smilie:

:smile:

Ah, I hope your nausea subsides. I remember I used to have it rarely and it was more of just the odd dry heave! So I have no idea what it must be like on a daily basis. I feel for you. :hug:

Has anyone been to In The Night Garden Live? (http://www.nightgardenlive.com/) I was thinking of taking Milly for her Birthday because she really loves it and they are doing a show right near my Mum's. I wanted to know if it was worth the money because it really isn't cheap. Either that or Peppa Pig's stage Puppet show (although she couldn't go on her actual Birthday then)

Hope everyone is well! :biggrin: x
Reply 115
Awww I really want to see In The Night Garden Live. They're showing it locally. But I think my baba is too young.

Guys did you know that an OPK can work as a HPT? :biggrin: I've been experimenting
What does that mean Tufts? x
an ovulation predictor kit can work as a home pregnancy test.

lol tufts no I didn't know that actually.

That ITNG live was at meadowhall in Sheffield not long ago. I went past it a few times. I can't STAND ITNG - it's one of my uber hates!
Reply 118
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
I can't STAND ITNG - it's one of my uber hates!

Awww why?
Original post by Tufts
Awww why?

It's WEIRD, it's like an acid trip for toddlers! It's creepy and just......EUGH *shudders* lol

Quick Reply

Latest