The Student Room Group

How can I feel ready for an exam?

I've done the work, I know what I'm doing and I'm sure I can reciprocate it in the exam... but I still don't feel ready for it and I'm quite nervous. :s-smilie: Mainly because I hate the module.

Should I just... move on to a different exam or something?
Reply 1
yaa, or try some past papers..
Dw, most people I know r never ready for a particular exam but we ( including me) just stay positive
N past papers should toughen u up :wink:
Reply 3
Original post by wanderlust.xx
I've done the work, I know what I'm doing and I'm sure I can reciprocate it in the exam... but I still don't feel ready for it and I'm quite nervous. :s-smilie: Mainly because I hate the module.

Should I just... move on to a different exam or something?

As mentioned above, a great way to feel ready for an exam is do past papers. Try and do them in exam conditions and see what the outcome is: you'll know after if you're ready of not. It's natural to be nervous about an exam you're unsure of or know that it's important, just keep cool and carry on revising.

I wouldn't advise you switch off as this will only make your nerves worse!
Reply 4
If you feel like you've covered what you need to, move onto other subject and then review your notes for that module to help boost confidence.

Like others have said, try past papers and see if there are any areas for improvement.
The thing is, I've done past papers, I know I can do the questions and I know the theory behind the material required. It's strange, because I've essentially worked my butt off for the past year and now I'm at my exam I know what to do but it still doesn't make me feel any better...

People around me are cramming in information and hurrying through questions that they couldn't do and it makes me feel like I have not done enough, when I clearly have since I've worked hard throughout the year.
Try some past papers under exam conditions - if you mark it yourself and get a relatively good mark, you'll know you're ready.

Though hardly anyone feels ready for an exam no matter how much work they put in. It's just nerves.

And eating bananas cures unsteasy nerves. Fact. Bananas are good.
Reply 7
The thing is, I've done past papers, I know I can do the questions and I know the theory behind the material required. It's strange, because I've essentially worked my butt off for the past year and now I'm at my exam I know what to do but it still doesn't make me feel any better...

People around me are cramming in information and hurrying through questions that they couldn't do and it makes me feel like I have not done enough, when I clearly have since I've worked hard throughout the year.

I sometimes feel like this too, the only way I have round this is to grab the specification, make sure that you can know point on the spec, that you understand it fully, covering all parameters and bear in mind that they can't ask you about anything off the spec,regardless of the subject your doing, that way its a fail safe way of knowing if you've covered everything. Even though though you know the theory, its a good way to reassure yourself that you do. Good luck in your exams OP!
Reply 8

It sounds to me that you're prepared! Ignore those who are cramming in revision, they are simply having to work full throttle as they started later than you - don't feel that you are't ready. Carry on keeping your mind refreshed for each of your exam and you should be fine if you've done the groundwork. :smile:
Reply 9

Maybe you just need to take a breather? Try out some stress management, relaxation techniques, and if you know that you have the skills and knowledge then don't worry!

Stress Management: http://studyguidedirectory.blogspot.com/2011/05/stress-management-how-to-overcome-exam.html
It turns out my body's nervous before exams when my subconscious knows that I don't know it as well as I think I do! :biggrin:

Oh well, at least now I know if I'm not nervous before exams I'm going to do well. :p:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending