The Student Room Group

June 2011 G485-Fields, Particles and Frontiers of Physics

Hi,

I thought I'd kickstart something on g485 physics.

Questions answers comments- feel free!

:smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
medical physics is a waste of time, there is sooo much to learn for it.
Reply 2
Original post by dasha962
medical physics is a waste of time, there is sooo much to learn for it.

It is true- there is plenty to learn for it. But it still part of the exam I guess.

I believe we need to know how to explain MRI scanner with reference to how an MRI scanner works- outlining the physical principles involved. This is one part anyway.

There is PET SCAN, Gamma camera- tracers, Xrays ..

I will keep updating this thread with answers to possible questions

We will keep updated on nuclear physics as well!

I hope everything will go well for this exam.
Just done the space section again. Most of the questions I was okay with, done pretty much all the questions in the book + revision guide for all but medical and parts of nuclear examination questions 2.
Reply 4
Original post by Oh my Ms. Coffey
Just done the space section again. Most of the questions I was okay with, done pretty much all the questions in the book + revision guide for all but medical and parts of nuclear examination questions 2.

I think we should all start on this thread for the g485 physics exam. Ask questions make comments feel free- as long as it is relevant to the exam- brilliant!
i have to agree - i really don't like the medical physics secion; it's just so boring. My favourite section is probably capacitors, cause it's short and easy :smile: and nuclear physics isn't too bad.
Reply 6
Original post by magdaplaysbass
i have to agree - i really don't like the medical physics secion; it's just so boring. My favourite section is probably capacitors, cause it's short and easy :smile: and nuclear physics isn't too bad.

Shall we begin this thread on medical physics then?

Get it over an done with and learn something about it.

Shall we start with MRI?
I've only done half of medical physics, so I dont know it well.
Reply 8
Original post by Oh my Ms. Coffey
I've only done half of medical physics, so I dont know it well.

That's okay, will just keep posting notes- so that when you get to complete it you can review.

I would like to start with MRI- Will post some answers shortly.
Is this exam really time intensive? I messed up the last.
Reply 10
has anyone got the January 2011 paper? would be amazingly helpful if anyone cud post it up 2night
Reply 11
I found some awesome revision notes for this online. Also found similar type for G484 if anyone is re-taking.
Reply 12
in.
Not looking forward to this exam. I've only just got through all the fields and capacitors stuff currently. Need to buck up my revision me thinks.
Hey, can someone help me.

My physics teacher has been teaching us things that I don't believe to be in the specification. Can you make it clear to be if we need to know 1) apparent and absolute magnitudes for luminosity stuff. and also 2) the Stefan-Boltzmann law.

It would be much appreciated to get agreement that these are not require for the exam so I don't waste my time revising them.

d404jamie
Original post by d404jamied404
Hey, can someone help me.

My physics teacher has been teaching us things that I don't believe to be in the specification. Can you make it clear to be if we need to know 1) apparent and absolute magnitudes for luminosity stuff. and also 2) the Stefan-Boltzmann law.

It would be much appreciated to get agreement that these are not require for the exam so I don't waste my time revising them.

d404jamie

Complain to him, and take a copy of the spec with you as nothing relates to those. The closest thing is 'flux density' but we learn about magnetic and not luminous flux density.

Was it interesting? :P
Reply 16
Original post by mattslater
I found some awesome revision notes for this online. Also found similar type for G484 if anyone is re-taking.

Facebooked the guy who made those guides's name 'cos I'm weird and he's at Oxford so they must be good. Thanks for the links :smile:
I'm certainly going to mention it to him. They involved using the luminosity/brightness of stars to work out the distance away from earth and also the temperature of stars. So it was interesting, yes.
I'm going to check everything he's taught us against the spec now.
Thanks for your help :smile:
Anyone got the AS book? Mines not got the answers for Q5 of Work and Energy Examination questions, can you upload a picture?
Original post by d404jamied404
I'm certainly going to mention it to him. They involved using the luminosity/brightness of stars to work out the distance away from earth and also the temperature of stars. So it was interesting, yes.
I'm going to check everything he's taught us against the spec now.
Thanks for your help :smile:

That sounds interesting lol. At least it isn't totally off topic, it kind of relates briefly to things like Olber's paradox which talks about light.
On the old spec, there was a choice to take a Cosmology paper or one on Medical Physics I think (you definitely got a choice) but this new spec makes us learn little bits of all the papers from the old spec.

Possibly, your teacher was teaching something from the more in depth cosmology paper that was required from the old spec?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending