The Student Room Group

Guy I like said I don't meet his 'high standards'!

Scroll to see replies

did he say "lol" after, or say something like "I'm just kidding"? if he didn't, then I can see how you would have taken him seriously. I would've taken him seriously and lost interest instantly.
Reply 21
It does sound like a joke... but then, who is he to come out with a random judgement on you?! You deserve better, babe. Personally, I'd love to be shorter- I think it looks cute :smile:
:rofl: at "nearly 6 foot" haha,so sad.maybe he was being sarcastic though,talk to him about it.
Reply 23
Seriously? My mums 5ft and my dads 6ft2, why on earth would height matter so much? Sounds like a dick to me (y)
Reply 24
If the female says the male is too short the male should be ashamed. If the male says this he's a jerk. Lol.
He was flirting (pretty poorly)
Reply 26
Original post by tuckaa
Seriously? My mums 5ft and my dads 6ft2, why on earth would height matter so much? Sounds like a dick to me (y)

It matters because in reality the majority of people are judgemental. Not much you can do about it. :confused:
Reply 27
Georgie Thompson is 5ft2, 'nuff said.
Reply 28
If that 'high standards' comment applies only for the height then he's an idiot.
My brother is 6'7" and used to go out with a girl who was 4'9". Never complained about it either. :s
Reply 29
I've never gone out with anyone shorter than 6 foot 3, tell him he's too short to be judgemental!
Reply 30
Original post by katy_j87
He wasn't joking lol, it would have been fine if he was but he's discussed his standards with me before and talked about how he finds it hard to find a girl that's good enough. He's quite serious about this

As you can see from your very emotional response, having standards with women that you tell them about is a very powerful weapon since it forces you to chase him. It's normally a female weapon.

The best way to win the wars of the sexes is to take the weapons of the other side.
Reply 31
Original post by Nepene
As you can see from your very emotional response, having standards with women that you tell them about is a very powerful weapon since it forces you to chase him. It's normally a female weapon.

The best way to win the wars of the sexes is to take the weapons of the other side.

Well I don't think I'll be chasing him from now on lol.

Thanks for your replies guys :smile: I don't really know why some people have given this post a negative rating. It's just something personal to me that I was a bit upset about as I know he isn't joking. But thanks for all the positive advice.
Reply 32
Original post by daedalos
If the female says the male is too short the male should be ashamed. If the male says this he's a jerk. Lol.

This. Why is it 'acceptable' for most women to be so judgemental on height and not be called out for it but when the odd guy does it, he's apparently the biggest waste of space. Hypocrisy methinks, especially from the women.
Reply 33
xx
(edited 12 years ago)
Find yourself an even taller guy just to spite him!
Reply 35
xx
(edited 12 years ago)
Well I don't think I'll be chasing him from now on lol.

Thanks for your replies guys :smile: I don't really know why some people have given this post a negative rating. It's just something personal to me that I was a bit upset about as I know he isn't joking. But thanks for all the positive advice.

Jesus christ he was joking. It is SO obvious ffs. That's why he said he has 'high standards'. It was a play on words. How can you be so thick, seriously? how do you even manage to turn your computer on?

Edit: NO GUY would reject a girl for being 5 foot 2. It just wouldn't happen. It's not even that short.
(edited 12 years ago)
Hey everyone,

I'm feeling a bit upset at the moment because of something a guy I like said the other night. I'll give you some background - have known the guy about 3 years since I started uni but we haven't spoken in a while. I've always had a bit of a crush on him. I'm 23, 5'2 and slim. I've been told by people that I'm pretty and I have a nice personality.

We were talking on Facebook chat the other night and he said he'd been looking through my pictures then asked how tall I am. I told him (5'2) and out of nowhere he said "well I doubt I could ever go out with you! I'm nearly 6 foot and I have very high standards that you're too short to meet."

I was quite shocked as this came out of the blue - we were just having a normal conversation and I hadn't even suggested I wanted to go out with him! Also he should know my height as we've met in person loads of times so I don't know why he's asking about it now.

It's made me feel a bit upset as I was bullied for my height at school by other girls but accepted it when I got older. It's something I can't change and it's not like I'm a midget lol. My ex-boyfriends have all been quite tall so I've never thought it an issue until now as I used to think I looked fine with my height and weight.

I guess it's made me feel a bit insecure as I used to want to be taller and it's like he's said I'm not good enough for him. He has been single for the 3 years I've known him though so maybe this is because of his 'high standards' lol. I'm thinking of not speaking to him again, as I don't want to speak to people who make me feel bad about myself. :frown:

Edit: It's definitely not a joke as he's discussed this with me before and says he doesn't like being single but he find it difficult with girls because of his high standards and this has caused him to not have proper relationships. He's quite serious, not the type to joke like that

Hey cheryl cole is 5'3", i guess she doesn't meet his high standards either lol.
Reply 38
Original post by XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Jesus christ he was joking. It is SO obvious ffs. That's why he said he has 'high standards'. It was a play on words. How can you be so thick, seriously? how do you even manage to turn your computer on?

Edit: NO GUY would reject a girl for being 5 foot 2. It just wouldn't happen. It's not even that short.

I know the guy!! He has spoken to me in person about the high standards thing about other girls, he didn't exactly say 'high' standards as a play on words, it was something generally like that about standards as he'd discussed it with me before. I don't know why you have to be such a dick, you don't actually know me or him. It's not a case of me being 'thick' as you so nicely put it :rolleyes:
Reply 39
Hah, that sounds quite clearly like a joke regarding height to me. Humour can often be lost over text-only chat, regrettably.

Quick Reply