The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2460
Original post by thegodofgod
One of my friends' friends applied to Nottingham for medicine and got an interview, and apprently at the interview he was asked to dissect a human cadaver and remove the spleen!

Not sure if that's true though! :erm: :K:

Wow that's certainly.. different. :tongue:
Original post by liviaaa

When I heard that for the first time, I immediately wanted to put down Nottingham as a choice (when I was unaware of the harsh realities of competition and applying to medical school :sad:), just so that I could get to dissect a cadaver and then brag to my other medical wannabe mates :dance:
Original post by liviaaa

When I heard that for the first time, I immediately wanted to put down Nottingham as a choice (when I was unaware of the harsh realities of competition and applying to medical school :sad:), just so that I could get to dissect a cadaver and then brag to my other medical wannabe mates :dance:

I must say that sounds ridiculous. It may be true but it seems unlikely. People donate their bodies willingly for the advancement of science and medical education, what a waste of this precious resource.
Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope
I must say that sounds ridiculous. It may be true but it seems unlikely. People donate their bodies willingly for the advancement of science and medical education, what a waste of this precious resource.

I know :sad:

He may have just been lying to sound really cool (he's not that cool :colondollar:)

Over the months/years I've become more skeptical about his interview - I mean why would you tell someone who barely knows how to remove an organ to remove an organ?

He may have just been lying to sound really cool (he's not that cool :colondollar:)

Over the months/years I've become more skeptical about his interview - I mean why would you tell someone who barely knows how to remove an organ to remove an organ?

The more I think about it, the more I am certain he was talking utter nonsense.
One of my friends' friends applied to Nottingham for medicine and got an interview, and apprently at the interview he was asked to dissect a human cadaver and remove the spleen!

Not sure if that's true though! :erm: :K:

Sounds like he was pulling your leg. There's no way they would do anything like that at interview, especially seeing as the point of interview is to get an idea of whether someone has the right motivation and qualities to be a doctor, not if they have the ability to extract a spleen at age 17/18...
Reply 2466

Haha that's true!

It is a kind of good idea though - as I'm sure some people apply to medicine who are scared of blood etc, who just want to go for the money etc. It would show you weren't squimish!
Original post by Normandy114
Sounds like he was pulling your leg. There's no way they would do anything like that at interview, especially seeing as the point of interview is to get an idea of whether someone has the right motivation and qualities to be a doctor, not if they have the ability to extract a spleen at age 17/18...

Well said :smile:
Original post by liviaaa
Haha that's true!

It is a kind of good idea though - as I'm sure some people apply to medicine who are scared of blood etc, who just want to go for the money etc. It would show you weren't squimish!

But so would work experience / voluntary work wouldn't it?

Well I suppose some people just follow a doctor around doing nothing :s-smilie:

I was lucky enough to go into theater and saw loads of cool operations :dance:
Reply 2469

Yup I guess that's an easier way for them to determine that. :tongue:

Oh lucky! In mine I did a lot of sitting and watching, I'm doing it in a hospital in the summer though so hopefully will be a bit more exciting!
Original post by liviaaa
Haha that's true!

Why would being squemish be an issue? A lot of medical students over the years have keeled over, they aren't thrown out. If you do anything for long enough you get used to it.

*face palm* cool operations are obviously a great representation of life as a doctor...
*face palm* cool operations are obviously a great representation of life as a doctor...

I know :colondollar:

Got GP work experience lined up for the May/June half-term :rolleyes:

But they were really cool... Leg amputations, hip replacements, arthroscopies, scoliosis corrections + I got to chat to a lot of the surgeons/nurses and they were all dissuading me from applying to medical school :eek:

+ I got taught how to tie suture knots :dance:
(edited 12 years ago)
I know :colondollar:

Got GP work experience lined up for the May/June half-term :rolleyes:

Have fun :smile: GP can actually be quite harrowing, lots of personal issues.
Have fun :smile: GP can actually be quite harrowing, lots of personal issues.

:hmmm: Is psychiatry a branch of medicine? (as in do you learn some stuff in medical school?)

Just a random thought
:hmmm: Is psychiatry a branch of medicine? (as in do you learn some stuff in medical school?)

Just a random thought

Yes it's a medical specialty same as anything else :smile: Though it is notoriously badly taught at undergrad level. They teach you how to take a psychiatric history and how to identify the major problems but that's about it.

It is very much a specialty you learn about whilst training post grad.
Yes it's a medical specialty same as anything else :smile: Though it is notoriously badly taught at undergrad level. They teach you how to take a psychiatric history and how to identify the major problems but that's about it.

It is very much a specialty you learn about whilst training post grad.

Hmm - so can you become a Psychiatric Consultant? :cool:

Anyway I'm off to have my lunch - be back in 20 mins
Hmm - so can you become a Psychiatric Consultant? :cool:

Anyway I'm off to have my lunch - be back in 20 mins

Yes of course you can :tongue: Lots of people are, have a look here:

http://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/specialtytraining.aspx

I actually find it quite attractive myself :smile:
Yes of course you can :tongue: Lots of people are, have a look here:

http://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/specialtytraining.aspx

I actually find it quite attractive myself :smile:

So are you /anyone watching the world snooker championship final? :colondollar:
Reply 2479
Original post by liviaaa
Okay cool :smile: I'm thinking: Birmingham, Newcastle, Nottingham and Sheffield.

Isn't Sheffield the one with a really high UKCAT cut-off? I can't do abstract thinking :s-smilie:

Latest

Trending

Trending