The Student Room Group

UCL vs St. Andrews

Hi :smile:
I'm completely stuck with my university choice, I have offers for English from St. Andrews and UCL but can not decide between the two. I was hoping for some outside opinions :smile: I'm afraid St. Andrews is too isolated, but at the same time, I feel like I'd be missing out on the close-knit community of St.A if I went to UCL...

Any and all opinions much appreciated :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Have you been to both? Bear in mind that Dundee and Edinburgh are within fairly easy reach of St Andrews.
Reply 2
Original post by Leenz
I'm completely stuck with my university choice, I have offers for English from St. Andrews and UCL but can not decide between the two. I was hoping for some outside opinions :smile: I'm afraid St. Andrews is too isolated, but at the same time, I feel like I'd be missing out on the close-knit community of St.A if I went to UCL...

I'd definitely visit both; St Andrews is a small town in Scotland, UCL is in the biggest city in the UK. They are very different.

Visit both and you'll certainly know which one is more suitable for you.

note: I'm at StAs and I absolutely love it, I got offered by ICL and KCL in London and rejected them both to come here (after visiting), and I don't regret it at all. But you're not me - please, please visit both and make your own mind up. Spending one afternoon visiting is well worth it, to make the right decision about somewhere you will spend 3+ years of your life!
Reply 3
UCL > St. Andrews

They are both very good uni's, but UCL has definitely got the edge when it comes to prestige and employability. UCL's English department is very highly regarded and is considered above Oxbridge by some.

Do you want to live in the heart of the UK's capital, or do you want to live in an isolated town? That's what it boils down to.

Edit: Who called all the St. Andrews fanboys over?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
I would recommend visiting both St Andrews and London and having a close look at the course structures, etc.

I was in a similar position to OP a few months ago, a couple of months after I had sent my application. I didn't like the idea of living in Scotland and I didn't like the course structure, so I withdrew. Now I have an offer from UCL which is my firm. Therefore in my particular case I'd pick UCL over St Andrews, but each to their own according to their preferences.
i'd go to ucl
Original post by therealOG
UCL > St. Andrews

They are both very good uni's, but UCL has definitely got the edge when it comes to prestige and employability.

Do you want to live in the heart of the UK's capital, or do you want to live in an isolated town? That's what it boils down to.

After living in London for three years, I'd definitely appreciate some time in a small town. People are different. Besides, St. Andrews is hardly isolated; as another poster has said, Edinburgh is easily accessible.
Reply 7
Original post by TurboCretin
After living in London for three years, I'd definitely appreciate some time in an isolated town. People are different.

Exactly. Mans are different. I'd feel so isolated and "out of the game" if I went to St. Andrews.
Reply 8
They are in some ways the antithesis of each other. UCL is in the biggest city in the UK, St andrews is a fairly small town, I wouldn't say it's isolated though.

It's up to you. I mean what do you want. Do you want a big city or do you want a small town.
Reply 9
Visit both and decide from that.. but I'd say UCL for sure cos St Andrews looks like the most boring place on the planet
Reply 10
Thank you all so much :smile:
I guess visiting would be great, but I live in Russia and I have IB exams up until my ucas deadline, so I can't visit St. Andrews... But I've heard so many lovely things about it! Does anyone know if the job prospects are good for St. Andrews?
Thank you again, you've all been so wonderful!
Reply 11
Original post by Leenz

May be worth noting that UCL is sometimes considered the best place in the UK for English(better than Oxbridge).
Reply 12
I say go Cambridge I heard it's and OK Uni.
UCL > St. Andrews

They are both very good uni's, but UCL has definitely got the edge when it comes to prestige and employability.

I'd say that's become very hard to argue in the last 5 years.

Original post by racello
Visit both and decide from that.. but I'd say UCL for sure cos St Andrews looks like the most boring place on the planet

It really depends on what your idea of "boring" is. I'd say if you need to be out clubbing every night then you generally are a boring person.

Original post by Leenz
Thank you all so much :smile:
I guess visiting would be great, but I live in Russia and I have IB exams up until my ucas deadline, so I can't visit St. Andrews... But I've heard so many lovely things about it! Does anyone know if the job prospects are good for St. Andrews?
Thank you again, you've all been so wonderful!

Then you'll have to decide from what you've heard. Just so you know St Andrews is not, as some would have you belive, the tiniest village in the most remote part of Scotland. It is small, but, probably because of the Uni/Tourism has more shops/coffee shops/restaurants etc. than you would expect from a place of its size. Also, it's the best place in the world if you are a golfer (or would like to have a go)! You're welcome :smile:. Make sure you think it through carefully!
Reply 14
Original post by simon-leeds
I'd say that's become very hard to argue in the last 5 years.

Not really. Just take a look at the world rankings. UCL is ranked 4th and 21st/22nd. Where is St. Andrews? You'd be very deluded to think that St. Andrews has a greater domestic and international reputation than UCL. It doesn't help of course that it's situated far from any world leading knowledge clusters.

It really depends on what your idea of "boring" is. I'd say if you need to be out clubbing every night then you generally are a boring person.

Are you implying that UCL, which is situated in the very centre of the UK's capital city, has less to offer in terms of cultural, social, political and historical opportunities than St. Andrews? Major lolz.
I'd go to UCL for the opportunities.
Not really. Just take a look at the world rankings. UCL is ranked 4th and 21st/22nd. Where is St. Andrews? You'd be very deluded to think that St. Andrews has a greater domestic and international reputation than UCL. It doesn't help of course that it's situated far from any world leading knowledge clusters.

Or you could use UK league tables where for the past 5 years St Andrews has finished above UCL in 13 of the 17 tables published during that time and joint in one. Small, rural Universities always suffer in International rankings beceause of ridiculous factors like "Number of International Staff Memebers". Are you really also arguing that Birmingham and Sheffield are also better than Dartmouth aswell as both St Andrews and Durham? If UK league tables are flawed International ones also are on ridiculous levels.
It's really up to you. If you really like golf and don't mind that the weather can be atrocious during the winter then St Andrews may be the place for you. I have friends up there and they all enjoy it.

I'm at UCL and love the atmosphere and cultural side of London.
Reply 18
Original post by simon-leeds
Or you could use UK league tables where for the past 5 years St Andrews has finished above UCL in 13 of the 17 tables published during that time and joint in one. Small, rural Universities always suffer in International rankings beceause of ridiculous factors like "Number of International Staff Memebers". Are you really also arguing that Birmingham and Sheffield are also better than Dartmouth aswell as both St Andrews and Durham? If UK league tables are flawed International ones also are on ridiculous levels.

They're all flawed to some extent because it's extremely hard to rank universities accurately as the weightings of the criteria are subjective.

I can equally counter your argument by saying that domestic rankings place stupid emphasis on student satisfaction - this is 100% subjective and will differ from person to person. At least the proportion of international students and staff members is 100% objective, and gives you an idea of how well the university's reputation attracts the world's best international academics.

The world rankings place large emphasis on academic citations (i.e. research strength) and on employer reputation (i.e. how impressive this will look on a CV, the "brand name") - areas that UCL far outperforms St. Andrews.

Then you have the reality of things, on the streets. Ask people, students, teachers - 9 out of 10 will say that UCL is a better university than St. Andrews. At my school (which sends around 25 people to Oxbridge annually), UCL is seen as 1st or 2nd choice for top students, whereas as far as I can tell, no alumnus has ever gone to St. Andrews. It's just not on the radar.

UCL is part of the golden triangle and the G5 group (Oxbridge, LSE, UCL and Imperial). The Times has stated that UCL is the best multi-faculty university in the UK after Oxbridge. The fact that it's ranked 4th in the world by QS must indicate something to you. You'd be deluded otherwise...

And a final point, UCL is regarded as having the best English department in the UK, above Oxbridge in fact.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 19
They're all flawed to some extent because it's extremely hard to rank universities accurately as the weightings of the criteria are subjective.

I can equally counter your argument by saying that domestic rankings place stupid emphasis on student satisfaction - this is 100% subjective and will differ from person to person. At least the proportion of international students and staff members is 100% objective, and gives you an idea of how well the university's reputation attracts the world's best international academics.

The world rankings place large emphasis on academic citations (i.e. research strength) and on employer reputation (i.e. how impressive this will look on a CV, the "brand name") - areas that UCL far outperforms St. Andrews.

Then you have the reality of things, on the streets. Ask people, students, teachers - 9 out of 10 will say that UCL is a better university than St. Andrews. At my school (which sends around 25 people to Oxbridge annually), UCL is seen as 1st or 2nd choice for top students, whereas as far as I can tell, no alumnus has ever gone to St. Andrews. It's just not on the radar.

UCL is part of the golden triangle and the G5 group (Oxbridge, LSE, UCL and Imperial). The Times has stated that UCL is the best multi-faculty university in the UK after Oxbridge. The fact that it's ranked 4th in the world by QS must indicate something to you. You'd be deluded otherwise...

And a final point, UCL is regarded as having the best English department in the UK, above Oxbridge in fact.

Bias.

I recognise that UCL has great Economics and English departments and a great medical school, but apart from that UCL is incredibly over-rated. The sole reason why UCL has sky-rocketed to number 4 was because, due to excess funding, they've upped their research - a lot. A lot of the league tables nowadays are very research heavy. I must say that outside those three departments, I would not consider UCL world class at all.

Yes, the best multi-faculty university outside of the UK because you're not including Imperial (and probably LSE, too).

Everyone knows that UCL is not consider number 4 in the world, it's considered number 4 in the UK, though (Oxbridge, Imperial ~). The majority of the Ivy League universities are much better than UCL; realistically, it's in the world top 20-25.

EDIT: I'm not anti-UCL or anything, but it's a little annoying about how over-rated it is :P 50% of the factors making up the QS ranking are Student Faculty; International Faculty; and International Students! I'm not going to base where I pursue my studies on those statistics (and that's the another major reason why it overperformed, here, beating MIT; Oxford; Imperial; Princeton; Stanford ... you kidding me??)

EDIT 2: Although I was wrong about the 50% thing, UCL is still over-rated and my other points still stand. All of you know it.

EDIT 3: :fan: Stupid UCLers negging me (joke) :aetsch: =P
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending