The Student Room Group

How the British Royal Family earns YOU £2.60 every year

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
So there's a price-tag on democracy is there?
Let's not forget how much getting rid of them would cost though - think of all the costs of reprinting anything that refers to the current royal family - for example having to change the look of the currency and changing any company called 'The Royal...'. Plus all of the people who have jobs that are linked explicitly to the Royals (and I'm talking ordinary, non-royal people)
You can't even buy a pint with £2.60 nowadays.
Reply 163
Original post by Sonny_J_D
Let's not forget how much getting rid of them would cost though - think of all the costs of reprinting anything that refers to the current royal family - for example having to change the look of the currency and changing any company called 'The Royal...'. Plus all of the people who have jobs that are linked explicitly to the Royals (and I'm talking ordinary, non-royal people)

Are you seriously suggesting that an argument for preserving the Monarchy is that getting rid of it is just too much bother?
Original post by TPS.
The London Olympics will cost a lot more than £20 million..?

Oops. You know how it is. You see a 20, you forget to count the 0s. Oh well.
Reply 165
Original post by Cochrane
Are you seriously suggesting that an argument for preserving the Monarchy is that getting rid of it is just too much bother?

Nobody's game for getting rid of it though, CAN'T you see that's the problem you have?

If the public wanted rid, do you think a few beefeaters are stopping the population from overthrowing them?

They're in place, with high regard and respect, because they have the country's consent, and affection. Particularly the Queen and the newly weds, i.e. the past and the future of the monarchy.

On the telly the other night someone said: recent polls show 11% are republicans, the debate is over.
Original post by Reformed2010
So having a political institution that is sexiest, anti catholic and undemocratic because it generates profit for a nation is a reason to keep the status quo? and we wonder why people support backward regimes so easily. ''They bring us food, water and shelter!'' You can't put a price on democracy, fairness and justice.

Just because it isn't catholic, it doesn't mean that it is anti-catholic. Also, how is it sexist? :confused:
And what is democracy, fairness and justice to do with anything?
Its the government that hold the power and it's the government that we democratically elect.

You seem to be proposing that every person must be democratically elected for their job. We only need to elect those who hold the power.
The royal family have little to no say in how the country is actually ruled.

The right to have the highest office of the land selected by the citizens it is suppose to represent. You know maybe it's about trying to apply the same principle you and I must face when competing for a job? perhaps it comes down to the easier to grasp principle of the best man for the job? are we not all equal? do we not want to fully embrace equality of opportunity?

There is no "right" to have the highest office of the land.
There is also no "best man for the job", the royal family perform a plethora of duties, many of which cannot just be performed by a single person. To do what the royal family do, you must be brought up in a specific way.
I suppose the biggest issue is that most people actually prefer a constitutional monarchy to a republic in the UK, so logically speaking wouldnt a republic be far less democratic than a constitutional monarchy?
Reply 168
Meh.

I dont believe in the royals, but i dont care enough to want to get rid of them
Original post by Cochrane
The right to aspire to the highest possible station in the Land, where greatness is determined by ability and talent and not by one's own birth.

Go ahead and aspire to be the prime minister. Nobody is stopping you.
Reply 170
Original post by duke5
So, you hate the Monarchy do you.

This is the BEST YouTube video I've seen on the subject. I was on the fence, now I'm a Royalist

All this "my taxpayers money spent on this..." banality (usually from people who pay little of any meaningful tax".

This video illustrates the way in which the deal between Parliament and the Crown Estates earns every person in the UK at LEAST £2.60, nevermind the £0.65p we supposedly pay each every year for the upkeep of the institution.

JUST WATCH IT.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhyYgnhhKFw&feature=relmfu

I just posted a negative statement about the Royal Family... I have now got to re-think my opinion. I don't know if this is good or bad.
I can't understand the argument about how the Royals acquired their land. They did it with the point of a sword. So what?
Consider the land you own; you bought it, right?
and the person you bought it off, bought it off someone else. If you go generations and generations back, who owned the land? NO ONE.
This thread proves TSR is a very much full of elitist, middle class toffs. Despite the counter video showing how the royal family does not earn you £2.60 per year, would that 0.712p per day be worth what the royal family stands for? An unfair, unjust, class dictated system in which we all men are not born equal.
Wow, that's a really good video.
Original post by Darkphilosopher
Just because it isn't catholic, it doesn't mean that it is anti-catholic. Also, how is it sexist? :confused:
And what is democracy, fairness and justice to do with anything?
Its the government that hold the power and it's the government that we democratically elect.

You seem to be proposing that every person must be democratically elected for their job. We only need to elect those who hold the power.
The royal family have little to no say in how the country is actually ruled.

There is no "right" to have the highest office of the land.
There is also no "best man for the job", the royal family perform a plethora of duties, many of which cannot just be performed by a single person. To do what the royal family do, you must be brought up in a specific way.

Here I go again, one more time!. Please read what I say :biggrin:

Just because it isn't catholic, it doesn't mean that it is anti-catholic
Thanks to the Protestant reformation no British monarch may marry a catholic. Our head of state as of now, can never be of catholic faith. The head of state is a job and this job is denied to 8.87 % of the nation (5,264,000 people according to figures). That my friend is what we call religious discrimination 101.

Also, how is it sexist?
If Kate and William have a daughter first and then a son after. The daughter is denied inheriting the throne from her dad (William) and her brother will become king. Simply because he is a boy. That my friend is what we call gender discrimination 101.

Fail. The house of Lords is not elected by us and neither is the prime minister. The central government is cherry picked by the party leaders and constantly changed year after year. Did you have any say on who became the Chancellor? and we don't vote for the prime minister we vote for the party. Let me repeat, half of our parliament is not elected at all by the citizens.

You seem to be proposing that every person must be democratically elected for their job
No I am not. Do you have any idea of what the function of a head of state is? it can be either simply ceremonial (like UK), have reserved powers (like UK) or have direct power (like the USA). But it is fundamentally mean't to be the representation of a nation and its citizens. You don't think the best way for a person to argue he or she legitimately represents a body of people, to be chosen by the said group of people? Imagine being in a group of your friends. How would you want to pick who represents your friends to other people? By that person's son or by you all selecting the best person? Get it now? :wink:

There is also no "best man for the job", the royal family perform a plethora of duties, many of which cannot just be performed by a single person. To do what the royal family do, you must be brought up in a specific way
There are a plethora of countries like France, Germany, USA who all have operated well without a Royal family. Where is the evidence that we as the great nation we are cannot function like the USA without a Royal family? how insulting! You actually think Britain needs Princess Beatrice Elizabeth Mary of York, Catherine Duchess of Cambridge or Prince Harry of Wales to function? to do business? to win wars? to pass laws? to hold meetings? to what?

Wait so you actually think Princess Beatrice Elizabeth Mary of York performs duties no other British person can do? what like hold parties, raise funds or wave on stake occasions?. No seriously what does she do you think no one in a population of 60 million cannot do? so you got MP's running the entire country. You got business woman and men in charge of multi billion pound companies. But Princess Beatrice Elizabeth Mary of York, for example, has something special that no one has, right...

Lastly, how do you know she is better at her 'job' (what the heck IS her job?) than anyone else? no one else has had a chance to compete. You can't argue some one is best at their job if you've not had anyone to compete it too! :facepalm2:

WHAT IS HER JOB.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 175
Original post by Reformed2010
Here I go again, one more time!. :biggrin:

Thanks to the Protestant reformation no British monarch may marry a catholic. Our head of state as of now, can never be of catholic faith. The head of state is a job and this job is denied to 8.87 % of the nation (5,264,000 people according to figures). That my friend is what we call religious discrimination 101.

If Kate and William have a daughter first and then a son after. The daughter is denied inheriting the throne from her dad (William) and her brother will become king. Simply because he is a boy. That my friend is what we call gender discrimination 101.

Fail. The house of Lords is not elected by us and neither is the prime minister. The central government is cherry picked by the party leaders and constantly changed year after year. Did you have any say on who became the Chancellor? and we don't vote for the prime minister we vote for the party. Let me repeat, half of our parliament is not elected at all by the citizens.

No I am not. Do you have any idea of what the function of a head of state is? it can be either symbolic or have power. But it is fundamentally mean't to be the representation of a nation and its citizens. You don't think the best way for a person to argue he or she legitimately represents a body of people, to be chosen by the said group of people? Imagine being in a group of your friends. How would you want to pick who represents your friends to other people? By that person's son or by you all selecting the best person? Get it now? :wink:

What the hell? are you joking? I don't think you even bother to understand peoples arguments. You actually can't be bothered to learn that there are a plethora of countries like France, Germany, USA who all have operated well without a Royal family to operate. You actually think Britain needs Princess Beatrice Elizabeth Mary of York, Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge or Prince Harry of Wales to function?

Wait so you actually think Princess Beatrice Elizabeth Mary of York performs duties no other British person can do? what like hold parties, raise funds or wave on stake occasions?. No seriously what does she do you think no one in a population of 60 million cannot do? so you got MP's running the country. You got business woman and men in charge of multi million pound companies. But Princess Beatrice Elizabeth Mary of York, for example, has what special that no one has again?

Lastly, how do you know she is better at her 'job' (what the heck IS her job?) than anyone else? no one else has had a chance to compete. You can't argue some one is best at their job if you've not had anyone to compete it too! :facepalm2:

WHAT IS HER JOB?

I think they've changed that policy now.

(Actually they're in the process of changing it!! It's gonna take a while because the have to change laws in commonwealth countries too!!!)
(edited 12 years ago)
You can prove anything you want with statistics, the guy who made this video is an American idiot.
So all of England is the Queens land is it ?
nice.
Reply 177
I am a massive monarchist but there is absolutely no point having this argument. Everything that could possibly be said by either side of the monarchist/republican argument has been said thousands of times before on TSR and literally millions of times before elsewhere. This argument is about as circular (and boring) as the atheist v. theist arguments that are constantly popping up here. Give it a rest! :frown:
Reply 178
Go ahead and aspire to be the prime minister. Nobody is stopping you.

Thank you for that, irrelevant as it may be. The point is that the Prime Minister asks to the Queen for permission to form a government. Ceremonial or not, her status is higher than his, and there is no way that an ordinary British person can aspire to attain the same station as her.
Reply 179
Original post by duke5
Nobody's game for getting rid of it though, CAN'T you see that's the problem you have?

If the public wanted rid, do you think a few beefeaters are stopping the population from overthrowing them?

They're in place, with high regard and respect, because they have the country's consent, and affection. Particularly the Queen and the newly weds, i.e. the past and the future of the monarchy.

On the telly the other night someone said: recent polls show 11% are republicans, the debate is over.

Of course I am not suggesting that the country want this, and I am equally not suggesting that it should just be forced on anybody. I am merely seeking to persuade others that they are wrong, and there is nothing wrong with that. I can't even begin to comment on your 'source' there, so I won't.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending