The Student Room Group

Which A-Level should I drop next year?

At AS, i'm currently doing maths, chemistry, biology and business. Maths, chemistry and business I'm okay with, but biology - my god i'm just terrible at it. For my Jan AS exams I got pretty bad results, though I'm confident I will do much better in the resits coming soon.

For uni, I was thinking of doing Pharmacy/pharmacology or Chemistry with Mathematics. Since Pharmacy/pharmacology both include biology, I'm looking more towards doing Chemistry with Mathematics or chemical engineering.

So which subject do I drop next year? Or do I carry on with all 4 subjects? Biology is obviously the more respectful one compared to business but I don't think I'll be able to even get a B in biology at A2 whereas in business that is more likely.
Reply 1
Original post by Philliipp
At AS, i'm currently doing maths, chemistry, biology and business. Maths, chemistry and business I'm okay with, but biology - my god i'm just terrible at it. For my Jan AS exams I got pretty bad results, though I'm confident I will do much better in the resits coming soon.

For uni, I was thinking of doing Pharmacy/pharmacology or Chemistry with Mathematics. Since Pharmacy/pharmacology both include biology, I'm looking more towards doing Chemistry with Mathematics or chemical engineering.

So which subject do I drop next year? Or do I carry on with all 4 subjects? Biology is obviously the more respectful one compared to business but I don't think I'll be able to even get a B in biology at A2 whereas in business that is more likely.

Business is a highly disrespected A-level. If you wanna do anything related to medicine (EG pharamacy) - definitely drop Business and keep Biology.. Just work really hard for it.
Drop Business - you don't want to do it at Uni, and to do a Business Degree you only need Maths. Also it is considered to be a 'soft' subject by quite a few Unis. Focus on nailing the Sciences.
Reply 3
Gettin an A in business is more likely to get you accepted than getting a B in biology in general. Unless the degree you want to do requires biology do it. if not just keep business and drop biology
Reply 4
Hi there,

I was in a relatively similar position in my AS year, having taken Maths, Chemistry, History and RS, with me hating Chemistry. At the time I was picking between Philosophy, Maths and Medicine. As I was undecided when it came to choosing which subject to drop, I ended up dropping none of them, and hating Chemistry and getting a D in it (with A*AA in the other three), which I really regret, on the grounds that when I was unsure of what to do, Medicine seemed like the most obvious choice, as it was a guaranteed career path which would also help people. When I was applying with my predicted grades, I had the choice to apply for Medicine (I was predicted an A/B) or Philosophy (I ended up applying first time for philosophy, then reapplying for theology, which I realised was the subject that really interested me :biggrin:). I reasoned that all Medicine degrees had Chemistry (+ one science, which Maths counted as) as a required A-Level for a reason, and it was probably because Chemistry is a very important part of the degree. Now I would assume that the same is true for pharmacology/pharmacy with regards to Biology, and if you really are terrible at it then I would strongly advise against any degree that says you should do it, on the grounds that you won't enjoy your degree and won't get a good result, nor will you learn much.
I'd drop business if only because it's not respectable at all compared to the other 3 - and you don't wanna risk the grades in the others by having the extra workload of business.
Reply 6
Also, Cambridge say its fine to have two 'strong' A-Levels, and One 'weaker' one:

http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/index.php?pageid=604
Reply 7
Im doing maths bio chem and IT, i want to go into IT, so what should i drop?
Reply 8
I would drop it to be honest, one weak A Level and two strong ones won't do to much harm as long as you do well.
Reply 9
hmm or i could just keep all 4
Reply 10
Original post by De Lubac
Hi there,

I was in a relatively similar position in my AS year, having taken Maths, Chemistry, History and RS, with me hating Chemistry. At the time I was picking between Philosophy, Maths and Medicine. As I was undecided when it came to choosing which subject to drop, I ended up dropping none of them, and hating Chemistry and getting a D in it (with A*AA in the other three), which I really regret, on the grounds that when I was unsure of what to do, Medicine seemed like the most obvious choice, as it was a guaranteed career path which would also help people. When I was applying with my predicted grades, I had the choice to apply for Medicine (I was predicted an A/B) or Philosophy (I ended up applying first time for philosophy, then reapplying for theology, which I realised was the subject that really interested me :biggrin:). I reasoned that all Medicine degrees had Chemistry (+ one science, which Maths counted as) as a required A-Level for a reason, and it was probably because Chemistry is a very important part of the degree. Now I would assume that the same is true for pharmacology/pharmacy with regards to Biology, and if you really are terrible at it then I would strongly advise against any degree that says you should do it, on the grounds that you won't enjoy your degree and won't get a good result, nor will you learn much.

Well looking at the pharmacy and pharmacology courses on UCL, it says i need AAB in Chemistry + either bio/maths/phys so i'm okay here whereas at King's I'd need AAB with Chemistry and Biology included. I'm assuming the majority of pharm courses require biology then, so it's not looking too good for me :eek:

The Chemistry with Maths courses look okay though, need ABB with maths and chem included.

For those who are saying drop business, I reckon in reality I would get a C in biology at A2 which kinda excludes me off the majority of courses as they ask for ABB at the least
Reply 11
Well looking at the pharmacy and pharmacology courses on UCL, it says i need AAB in Chemistry + either bio/maths/phys so i'm okay here whereas at King's I'd need AAB with Chemistry and Biology included. I'm assuming the majority of pharm courses require biology then, so it's not looking too good for me :eek:

The Chemistry with Maths courses look okay though, need ABB with maths and chem included.

For those who are saying drop business, I reckon in reality I would get a C in biology at A2 which kinda excludes me off the majority of courses as they ask for ABB at the least

I know its a long shot, but would you consider applying for both courses, i.e. the UCL Pharmacy and Pharmacology, and the Chemistry with Maths course (is it at King's??) as they are relatively similar, and it seems that you could have a personal statement that is decent for both?

It seems clear that continuing Biology is a bad idea, if you are sure you wouldn't be able to get an A or a B, and if you got a B in AS then you would still have that on your UCAS.

Also, Maths and Chem are two of the strongest A Levels, so good grades at those will be very useful, even with a 'weaker' subject like Business.
Drop Business, you don't need it for your university course.

I would drop biology as long as it is not requiered for the course you are applying for. Unis don't mind if you have one so called 'weak' subject, even the top ones, it's just if you are doing more than one then they will not like it so much.

Quick Reply

Latest