The Student Room Group

Help with changing these French sentences into the imperative.

Hi.

I'm just doing some French homework and I'm unsure about if I've changed some sentences into the imperative correctly. I think my endings of the verb I've changed may be wrong, but I'm not sure. Could someone please explain to me how do change sentences into the imperative in the he/il form, I'm unsure what the endings of the verbs would be when changing them.

Here's an example of what I've done. Can you tell me if I've changed it right or if I need to have a different ending (ez or something). Thank you...

Il ne faut pas manger de chewing-gum en classe.
to...
Ne mange pas de chewing-gum en classe.

I don't think I've done it right, and I wanted to check. We've only started learning these recently and I'm not too good at them, even though they may be easy. I usually check on here when I'm unsure about something. I hope no one minds...

Thanks to anyone who helps!
Reply 1
Original post by Dougieowner
Hi.

I'm just doing some French homework and I'm unsure about if I've changed some sentences into the imperative correctly. I think my endings of the verb I've changed may be wrong, but I'm not sure. Could someone please explain to me how do change sentences into the imperative in the he/il form, I'm unsure what the endings of the verbs would be when changing them.

Well that doesn't exist, so good luck with that :p: Using falloir isn't really the imperative mood although it's the same kind of idea, meaning ' to be necessary to'.

The imperative only exists in the tu,vous and nous form because it's used for commands. This site explains the imperative well. I think it's better that you learn how it works rather than just have someone else conjugate the verbs for you :smile: your first example works, and the second is fine unless you're talking to more than one pupil, in which case you need the vous form and an ez ending.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by xmarilynx
Well that doesn't exist, so good luck with that :p: Using falloir isn't really the imperative mood although it's the same kind of idea, meaning ' to be necessary to'.

The imperative only exists in the tu,vous and nous form because it's used for commands. This site explains the imperative well. I think it's better that you learn how it works rather than just have someone else conjugate the verbs for you :smile: your first example works, and the second is fine unless you're talking to more than one pupil, in which case you need an ez ending.

Oh right. =P

Could you just check that these are right? I can't get accents, but it's the endings really that I need to worry about.

2. Il faut ecouter le prof
to
Ecoute le prof!

3. Il ne faut pas crier en classe
to
Ne crie pas en classe!

4. Il ne faut pas copier les reponses des autres
to
Ne copie pas les reponses des autres!

5. Il faut apprendre le vocabulaire
to
Apprends le vocabulaire!
Original post by xmarilynx

The imperative only exists in the tu,vous and nous form because it's used for commands. This site explains the imperative well. I think it's better that you learn how it works rather than just have someone else conjugate the verbs for you :smile: your first example works, and the second is fine unless you're talking to more than one pupil, in which case you need the vous form and an ez ending.

The third person imperative can be rendered by using que+subjunctive
Eg. Qu'il entre - let him enter

But as you say this isn't, strictly speaking, the imperative.

Btw, I love your sig. Prévert is awesome.

OP, your answers are correct for the tu form.
Reply 4
Original post by qwertyuiop1993
The third person imperative can be rendered by using que+subjunctive
Eg. Qu'il entre - let him enter

But as you say this isn't, strictly speaking, the imperative.

Btw, I love your sig. Prévert is awesome.

OP, your answers are correct for the tu form.

Yeah I love him, and thanks :h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending