The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ilovehotchocolate
Thanks for trying

Nope :-s just took a bit from the abstract and assumed the rest of the paper would correlate with the rest of the research I've done. #cba

Have to say, first time I've asked for help from TSR and it didn't work :ashamed2:

Give it a chance: these things take time. :tongue:

Check your PMs.
Three weeks until end of years. The fear has officially set in.

I shall start revision en masse tomorrow.
Original post by RollerBall
Three weeks until end of years. The fear has officially set in.

I shall start revision en masse tomorrow.

2 weeks for me. Just got back to uni this afternoon.
Original post by Fission_Mailed
2 weeks for me. Just got back to uni this afternoon.

Have you done any at home? I'm due into London in the next hour or so. I'm not planning on doing any tonight. Going to get a good nights sleep, hit my pharmacology lecture then spend the rest of tomorrow in the library.

I have half a week per three week module. All are three weeks long bar one which is 9 but has a lot of fluff in it.

A week of lectures a day. Oh boy.
Have you done any at home? I'm due into London in the next hour or so. I'm not planning on doing any tonight. Going to get a good nights sleep, hit my pharmacology lecture then spend the rest of tomorrow in the library.

I have half a week per three week module. All are three weeks long bar one which is 9 but has a lot of fluff in it.

A week of lectures a day. Oh boy.

I've done some, but not really enough. Got to put my head down from tomorrow.
I have officially got the fear too :bawling:
Original post by Kinkerz
My SSC this year is depressingly crap :sad:

I feel your pain, although we don't do ours until after exams! What is it on?
I officially started revision today too - started with the good old public health.

OSCEs this year look frightening. I'm probably most worried about them as I missed so many clinical skills sessions this year. In fact, I only went to one. Not good. That said, I'm still quite calm at the moment with 5 weeks to go.
How often do you guys get the "I hate medicine wtf am I doing" feeling vs the "Man, I love this" feeling? Medical students are excellent at putting up a facade and I've only been able to properly talk to about two people properly about it. Unless, 95% of my year love every aspect of it of course.

I think I've only had the "Man, I love this" feeling maybe three times compared to what feels like hating medicine every other day.
Definitely had more "man I hate this course" moments this year. Definitely.

Last year, medicine was all new to me. I was a keen fresher! As far as i can remember, the dullest parts of the course were annoying to learn but never to the extent I questioned why I was doing the course. But you know me so you know I'm a weird one anyway. :p:
How often do you guys get the "I hate medicine wtf am I doing" feeling vs the "Man, I love this" feeling? Medical students are excellent at putting up a facade and I've only been able to properly talk to about two people properly about it. Unless, 95% of my year love every aspect of it of course.

I think I've only had the "Man, I love this" feeling maybe three times compared to what feels like hating medicine every other day.
Right now, I ****ing hate it. :h:

I've discovered three years too late that medicine is about learning vast reams of stuff on the basis that it might be useful, but most probably won't be to you because you won't deal with it, but you have to know about the fact that you can't deal with it.

On the upside, the good moments do keep you doing for a long long time. Its when things click that its good, the rest of the time is just grunt work. You don't need to be particularly bright for it, you just need to power through. I think most people know how **** it can be - but wouldn't the world be an even more depressing place if we talked shop and really bitched about the fact that we are paying for this? Theres some sort of unwritten agreement that theres no point doing that, we can't change it, so just in times of crisis, head down, crack on.

I feel your pain. I've realised theres theres a lot of stuff in 3rd year...
Original post by billet-doux
I feel your pain, although we don't do ours until after exams! What is it on?

Until I'm presented with conflicting evidence, I'm saying that the Keele year two SSC is the worst SSC of any course in the UK (or even world).

We had to volunteer for a charitable organisation for a total of 24 hours (8 sessions of 3 hours), which we technically chose ourselves. We ranked our top ten (of less than fifteen possibles) organisations and we were then allocated to one. Had to hand in a reflective assignment on our experience there and now I'm struggling through part two of it which is an A1 poster on the aims, target population and actions of the organisation.

How well you do is utterly dependent on your luck in getting a good placement. It's the least objective thing to mark I've ever come across. Yet it's this sort of thing that'll be looked at when I come to apply to intercalate. Really irritating.

What's more is that the year one SSC was really good. Useful.

(/rant :colondollar:)
Reply 3193
Original post by Kinkerz
Until I'm presented with conflicting evidence, I'm saying that the Keele year two SSC is the worst SSC of any course in the UK (or even world).

We had to volunteer for a charitable organisation for a total of 24 hours (8 sessions of 3 hours), which we technically chose ourselves. We ranked our top ten (of less than fifteen possibles) organisations and we were then allocated to one. Had to hand in a reflective assignment on our experience there and now I'm struggling through part two of it which is an A1 poster on the aims, target population and actions of the organisation.

How well you do is utterly dependent on your luck in getting a good placement. It's the least objective thing to mark I've ever come across. Yet it's this sort of thing that'll be looked at when I come to apply to intercalate. Really irritating.

I did a nearly identical Student Selected 'Unit' (SSU) last year at Southampton. I feel your pain!
Original post by Phryx
I did a nearly identical Student Selected 'Unit' (SSU) last year at Southampton. I feel your pain!

Wow, I didn't think two institutions would subject their students to this.
eh its ok. I'm looking forward to the wards.
3731/4500 words. I think I might need to go to 5000 at this rate. I'm almost done with this last section...still need to write a solid intro and conclusion and sort out referencing. The thought of writing another 2200 words for my family study is killing me quite literally.
I genuinely enjoyed first year of clinics bar one module (and obviously exam stress).

On the flip side - intercalated BSc year has been mostly awful.
Original post by Kinkerz

Oh dear that does sound pretty dire. Many of our SSCs are a bit like that. Whether I get to intercalate is affected by an SSU on the role of an allied healthcare professional in the multidisciplinary team, and a management SSU I started today. The marking mostly depends on who is running the SSU, and has little to do with how good the essay/presentation is. All the sciencey/medical SSUs I did well in in year 1/2 don't count. Drives me mad. Hope yours goes well!
I still haven't posted my iBSc acceptance letter, despite signing it over a fortnight ago. Anyone want to throw in any opinions on Barts and Impy that would swing my decision? Coin tossing hasn't yet produced a definitive answer.

Latest

Trending

Trending