The Student Room Group

Okay Student Room, Need your help here...

Hi all,
I have about two days until I have to accept or deny one of my offers to university.
Im only 16 and have been accepted into The University I really want to go to, and am going to do Law. My school, my guidance teachers and the University faculty all agree that I should go. The only problem is my mum, to go to this university I would have to leave home and live in halls, and mum doesnt want mt to leave. Shes point blank refusing. I dont have long, I can accept the offer but I want to do it with her blessing.. What should I do??

Do you think 16 is too young for University? At my chosen Uni, there are other young students aswell, as it's a walled campus.

Sorry for the long winded post... Please Help!? :confused:

Scroll to see replies

To be honest, yes, I think sixteen is generally too young to go away to uni. However, I don't know you and my opinion doesn't really matter - do you think you'd be ok with it? Your mother is never going to want you to leave, but are her reasons because you're her precious little boy/girl or because she doesn't think you'll cope?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Raterbee
Hi all,
I have about two days until I have to accept or deny one of my offers to university.
Im only 16 and have been accepted into The University I really want to go to, and am going to do Law. My school, my guidance teachers and the University faculty all agree that I should go. The only problem is my mum, to go to this university I would have to leave home and live in halls, and mum doesnt want mt to leave. Shes point blank refusing. I dont have long, I can accept the offer but I want to do it with her blessing.. What should I do??

Do you think 16 is too young for University? At my chosen Uni, there are other young students aswell, as it's a walled campus.

Jeez man, it's your life, this is a once in a lifetime opportunity man. But, she has every right to be worried, tell her how you feel about university and reassure

Spoiler

her about it.

Good luck :borat:.
Reply 3
That certainly is a tough decision, but unfortunatley only you can make it. You are the one who knows the situation at home and the effects leaving for university would have, so any suggestions people have on here wouldn't be that well informed. My advice to you would be to speak to other family members and see what they think. Good luck.
Reply 4
Original post by TheSownRose
To be honest, yes, I think sixteen is generally too young to go away to uni. However, I don't you and my opinion doesn't really matter - do you think you'd be ok with it? Your mother is never going to want you to leave, but are her reasons because you're her precious little boy/girl or because she doesn't think you'll cope?

I think its the "little girl" part of it. I already Cook and clean, as well as handle money. And last summer I held down a job whilst I was out of school..

I'm just not sure how to convince her to let go, I'm only going to be 40 miles away, its just too far to commute.

Thankyou for replying
I started at 16. Just talk to your mum about her concerns and reassure her that you are not going to turn into a drunken and drug-crazed lout (until you are 18).
Reply 6
Original post by OrmondDrone
I started at 16. Just talk to your mum about her concerns and reassure her that you are not going to turn into a drunken and drug-crazed lout (until you are 18).

Did you deal with being younger then everyone else okay? I think thats what my mums worried about? And are you glas you started at 16?

Thankyou!
It's a mother thing. My mum doesn't want me to go to a uni too far either because she wants me to stay at home and never leave.
Convince your mum that you'll be okay and won't turn to drugs and stuff and that you'll visit as often as possible.

Go live your life!
Did you deal with being younger then everyone else okay? I think thats what my mums worried about? And are you glas you started at 16?

Thankyou!

It didn't bother me at all. I'm 6 feet 2 and don't look baby faced so I didn't stand out as being younger than others - I think people just assumed we were all much the same age. I didn't make a big deal about it :dontknow:
Reply 9
Go for it!

Hi all,

Which university?
Original post by im so academic
Which university?

its not oxford...so dont worry!!
Reply 12
Which university?

Stirling
Which university?

In what way is that relevant?
Original post by TheSownRose
In what way is that relevant?

The 'walled campus' aspect was getting her all excited. It's an aphrodisiac to some you know :wink:
Original post by OrmondDrone
The 'walled campus' aspect was getting her all excited. It's an aphrodisiac to some you know :wink:

Just think: if it had been Oxford, she could have brought her plans forward a few years! :eek3:
Reply 16
Original post by shouldberevising
Sorry, if you dont mine me asking, how come you're going to university at 16? did you do A-levels early? please explain lol im abit confuseeed

The system in Scotlands a bit different..
Im 16 but I'm in the equivalent of year 11 as I skipped ahead a year. The university has accepted me on the basis of expected grades for this years exams.

I was confuzed when I moved to Scotland too, don't worry. (:
Reply 17
I think you should do what you want to do! but maybe you could stay at home in first year and second year move away from home?
Good Luck
Reply 18
Hi all,

If I were you I would definitely wait two years. In two years you will be able to enjoy university much more. I don't think it will be easy to make friends when everybody goes out for freshers and at least every weekend etc and you wouldn't get in anywhere. Just have a laid back two years and go to uni when you'd enjoy it more. Not many 18 year old students will want to hang out with a 16 year old genius ha :wink:
Also it would make your mum happy - and that is the most important thing!

University is a once in a life time experience and in order to enjoy it to the full you need to be 18 IMO.
if i were you id go for it :smile:
your mums probably worried too because you are a bit younger but if the uni doesnt see your ages as a problem neither should you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending