The Student Room Group

Okay Student Room, Need your help here...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by bakamo
I think you should do what you want to do! but maybe you could stay at home in first year and second year move away from home?
Good Luck

I wouls stay at home, but unfortunatley it's too far too commute.
Thanks though
Aha. Thought you might be in Scotland, I was sure they didn't let people into uni at 16 in England. Stirling's pretty. :biggrin: But I know people who are 16/17 ish and going to university, if I'd applied this year I'd be the same age, so yeah, I definitely wouldn't worry about it too much. And the whole not being legal thing won't stop you drinking if you want to, it never stops anyone else. :ninja: Except me because I can't stand the taste, but there you go. So yeah, tell your mum that you need to grow up and leave home sometime so you may as well do it now. :biggrin:
Reply 22
Original post by NaturalDisaster
Aha. Thought you might be in Scotland, I was sure they didn't let people into uni at 16 in England. Stirling's pretty. :biggrin: But I know people who are 16/17 ish and going to university, if I'd applied this year I'd be the same age, so yeah, I definitely wouldn't worry about it too much. And the whole not being legal thing won't stop you drinking if you want to, it never stops anyone else. :ninja: Except me because I can't stand the taste, but there you go. So yeah, tell your mum that you need to grow up and leave home sometime so you may as well do it now. :biggrin:

I don't drink either, so it's not really a problem, shes just so.. UGH!

thanks (:
Reply 23
Don't know if this will help but my boyfriend was in the same situation as you when he was 16 and living in Scotland. He had enough UCAS points to go to uni then, but decided to go to college for another two years and then go when he was 18. Now he has finished he doesn't regret what he did, he feels like he would of missed out otherwise, plus he has something ridiculous like 900 UCAS points. Dick. Long story short, you can't make the most of university when you can't partake in the lifestyle. I suggest you wait until you're 18 and your mother has warmed up to the idea of you moving away.
Reply 24
I'd say GO! My mum says the same thing to me but I can't imagine not leaving at some point. She'll understand that you have to leave one day anyway.
Reply 25
Original post by Raterbee
The system in Scotlands a bit different..
Im 16 but I'm in the equivalent of year 11 as I skipped ahead a year. The university has accepted me on the basis of expected grades for this years exams.

I was confuzed when I moved to Scotland too, don't worry. (:

Are you gonna be 16 still when the academic year starts in september?

How come you got skipped AHEAD a year when you've only just moved here, surely you'd be behind in terms of Scottish qualifications obtained?

I'd say go for it if you want to, somehow. :borat:

Though it might suck being underage for some things for a couple years... can you get deferred entry?
Reply 26
Original post by Arianto
Are you gonna be 16 still when the academic year starts in september?

How come you got skipped AHEAD a year when you've only just moved here, surely you'd be behind in terms of Scottish qualifications obtained?

I'd say go for it if you want to, somehow. :borat:

Though it might suck being underage for some things for a couple years... can you get deferred entry?

Im not really bothered about being able to drink ect, I checked the student union and other students opinions and I dont think it will affect my social life...
-Dont really want to defer if possible
thankyou for the reply!
Reply 27
Original post by Caro
Don't know if this will help but my boyfriend was in the same situation as you when he was 16 and living in Scotland. He had enough UCAS points to go to uni then, but decided to go to college for another two years and then go when he was 18. Now he has finished he doesn't regret what he did, he feels like he would of missed out otherwise, plus he has something ridiculous like 900 UCAS points. Dick. Long story short, you can't make the most of university when you can't partake in the lifestyle. I suggest you wait until you're 18 and your mother has warmed up to the idea of you moving away.

900 UCAS points?! Yipes... Wouldnt want to be competing with him :]
Reply 28
Hey, The "OP" here. ( felt left out C: )
@ im so academic : I understand the relevance of your question as I may have been going to a Uni with a bad rep

@ TheSownRose : I understand that you thought it was irrelevant, I didn't think the information was needed
thats why I didn't put it in the first post
Reply 29
Original post by im so academic
Range of situations where it may be OK:
*Local new university where there are compulsory placements, degree is accredited, links with local employers.
*Living in London and studying for a science degree at Imperial/UCL/KCL.
*Wants to be a musician and is going to the local music conservatoire.

Range of situations where it may not be OK:
*Wants to become a barrister/investment banker but goes to the local ex-poly when she has the potential for more
*Studying a course that is not accredited, even though she has attained the place
*Even if the OP is passionate about her subject, the university has poor student facilities etc

It's not about the prestige. Get over it.

OP are you going for the LLB? Looking at this it seems a nice place to study, it's accredited with the Law Society of Scotland, definitely opens doors to be (eventually) a practising solicitor, potential work experience placements at Law firms etc.

Even if you are doing the BA, it would be good preparation for the accelerated LLB that Stirling offers, or even do the LLB somewhere else. Or likewise do the necessary postgraduate course to be a solicitor somewhere else. It really depends on what you want to do. :smile:

I've currently been given a conditional to do the LLB with eventual ambition to do a extra year to get honours degree at glasgow to becom a barrister.
The work experience at law firms really drew my attention actually :smile:
Not to mention the lecturers are brilliant, and many have written papers for current law textbooks.

I've currently been given a conditional to do the LLB with eventual ambition to do a extra year to get honours degree at glasgow to becom a barrister.
The work experience at law firms really drew my attention actually :smile:
Not to mention the lecturers are brilliant, and many have written papers for current law textbooks.

Would the Stirling-Glasgow route prepare you to become a barrister?
Reply 31
Would the Stirling-Glasgow route prepare you to become a barrister?

Yes, It would be as follows:

1-3 year Stirling, LLB course
4 year Stirling Honours degree
next year Glasgow Diploma
next year Ebglish law conversion Diploma (to practice in England)
Reply 32
Stirling

Wait, get top grades, and apply to a better uni in 1/2 yrs. Seeing as you're good enough at the age of 16 to get uni offers, why not make the most of your academic potential and go somewhere world class? Trust me on this one, you may regret it in the future, especially as going to uni when you're 16 may be a total disaster.
my friend has only just turned 17.... well a couple of months ago.... but still she's going to oxford :smile: as for mother issues.... maybe go on the website and show her some pics and what extra stuff you can do etc.... if that fails beg!! I <3 scotland :smile:

Yes, It would be as follows:

1-3 year Stirling, LLB course
4 year Stirling Honours degree
next year Glasgow Diploma
next year Ebglish law conversion Diploma (to practice in England)

Hmm, but would you be guaranteed after the law conversion diploma to become a barrister?

Honestly, it seems that in your case there is NO EXTRA BONUS of going to university at 16. You would be 22 after the law conversion diploma and therefore be 23 when you start the BPTC.

Why bother when you can just go to university in England at 18 (perhaps even 17?), get your LLB in England, graduate at 21 and start the BPTC at 22.

I would be more sympathetic to your career aspirations had you intended to practise in Scotland. Seeing as you want to practice in England, you may as well give it a shot for (better) English universities.

What *actual* reason is there for you to go to university now? There is no rush, especially since you would be delaying your career, so don't think you would start the BPTC earlier.
Reply 35
Hmm, but would you be guaranteed after the law conversion diploma to become a barrister?

Honestly, it seems that in your case there is NO EXTRA BONUS of going to university at 16. You would be 22 after the law conversion diploma and therefore be 23 when you start the BPTC.

Why bother when you can just go to university in England at 18 (perhaps even 17?), get your LLB in England, graduate at 21 and start the BPTC at 22.

I would be more sympathetic to your career aspirations had you intended to practise in Scotland. Seeing as you want to practice in England, you may as well give it a shot for (better) English universities.

What *actual* reason is there for you to go to university now? There is no rush, especially since you would be delaying your career, so don't think you would start the BPTC earlier.

I intend to initially practice in Scotland, with intent to practice in England later in life. I don't wish to go to England to University, not only are the fees horrendous compared to those in Scotland, (Scottish citizens are entitled to free University tuition), I also do not wish to move so far away from my family. The only reason I would be living in halls is that the daily commuting expenses are not phesable.
Reply 36

Also, there is never a guarantee of becoming a barrister. It depends on the callibre of law student, and the situations that that law student will eventually find his/herself in.
Reply 37
I intend to initially practice in Scotland, with intent to practice in England later in life. I don't wish to go to England to University, not only are the fees horrendous compared to those in Scotland, (Scottish citizens are entitled to free University tuition), I also do not wish to move so far away from my family. The only reason I would be living in halls is that the daily commuting expenses are not phesable.

Top English university for Law (Oxbridge, LSE, UCL, Bristol, Warwick) = Career with teh moneyz >>>>>> Uni fees
Also, there is never a guarantee of becoming a barrister. It depends on the callibre of law student, and the situations that that law student will eventually find his/herself in.

I know. But I fail to see how going to Stirling, then Glasgow, then the conversion diploma and what not is going to make it any easier.

Why not if you intend to practice in England? :lolwut:

Fees? http://www.factsonfees.com/

If you don't wish to move so far away from your family, do you think you are ready to cope with attending university at all?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending