The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by EdwardCurrent
Give me evidence that a chocolate teapot won't melt if I pour in the tea whilst standing on my head.

If you think that free-market dynamics break down in the healthcare market, against all extrapolation by empirical observation in other markets, then it is up to you to tell us why. And it's no good declaring "it's too important" or "it's too complicated, that proves nothing.

There is plenty of the proof of what he is saying when you look at the American model of healthcare. And if you decided that you will argue for another model of healthcare being more efficient than the current one, its up to you to tell us why
Original post by isaqyi
The reason healthcare is cheaper here than the US is because here it's ****. MRSA, Harold Shipman, and long waiting lists don't seem to bother people as long as they don't have to pay at the point of use.

Oh FFS can you please stop bringing up MRSA and harold shipman. If you are really trying to say you don't get similar things in the US, then you are so naive then its no point arguing with you.

Firstly, you are the one who is defending a system which exists only because people are forced to pay for it.

Secondly, you have invented the falacy that if the NHS didn't exist a bunch of people would die. That's quite a leap. You are the one defending systematic violence, you prove it.

1 - Are you really saying everyone could afford private care if they weren't taxed so much? That is quite a claim considering the cost of many treatments.

2 - It isn't a falacy and is quite logical. You charge people for healthcare, there will be people who can't afford it, so there will be people who die because of it.

Also, can you please stop going on about stealing cars and giving bikes and whatever. It has nothing to do with the argument. Nothing at all.

Give me evidence that a chocolate teapot won't melt if I pour in the tea whilst standing on my head.

If you think that free-market dynamics break down in the healthcare market, against all extrapolation by empirical observation in other markets, then it is up to you to tell us why. And it's no good declaring "it's too important" or "it's too complicated, that proves nothing.

What the hell has that got to do with anything?
And yes I do. As I, and other people, have said. Healthcare is different. You keep ignoring the reasons we give.
Original post by otester
No one can be saved from death :wink:

Because of this post I think people should just start ignoring this bastard.
Original post by WelshBluebird
Because of this post I think people should just start ignoring this bastard.

I guess his attitude could be summed up by that quote. I wonder if he would have had the same attitude if he was dying :h:
Really? Give me any evidence this is the case for healthcare.

The burden of proof lies on you my dear, I merely point you to the theory and ask why doesn't it hold?

Plus, you conveniently forget about the railways in this country.

Not at all, they were granted regional monopolies, and are integrated with horribly perverse incentives, overly-burdensome safety regulation since the Potters' Bar incident (especially compared with other forms of transport, such that costs are far higher for rail), and aren't a good example of a free-market at all.
Original post by jesusandtequila
The burden of proof lies on you my dear, I merely point you to the theory and ask why doesn't it hold?

Not at all, they were granted regional monopolies, and are integrated with horribly perverse incentives, overly-burdensome safety regulation since the Potters' Bar incident (especially compared with other forms of transport, such that costs are far higher for rail), and aren't a good example of a free-market at all.

I'm sorry, but as someone who proposed the theory, its up to you to try and sell it to us.
Reply 446
Original post by isaqyi
I am considering getting private health insurance, but no longer wish to contribute to the NHS as it is the worst healthcare system in Western Europe. I do not see it as my responsibility to pay for other peoples' healthcare, when I am more than willing to pay for my own.

Is there any way I can stop the British public stealing my money to pay for their healthcare?

Edit: I might have known that the extreme far left would have taken a disliking to my post.

you can **** off elsewhere
Original post by isaqyi
I am considering getting private health insurance, but no longer wish to contribute to the NHS as it is the worst healthcare system in Western Europe. I do not see it as my responsibility to pay for other peoples' healthcare, when I am more than willing to pay for my own.

Is there any way I can stop the British public stealing my money to pay for their healthcare?

Edit: I might have known that the extreme far left would have taken a disliking to my post.

Apart from leaving the country, you can't. Getting private health insurance doesn't mean you break from the NHS. Private health insurance doesn't cover visits to your GP; treatment for long-term illnesses which can't be cured; A&E; NHS prescriptions; and of course, the emergency services. If you were involved in a car crash, the NHS would most likely attend to you, not ambulances from a private hospital.

So whilst you may be able to get a varicose vein removed in 2 months as opposed to 2 years on private health insurance, you're quite likely to still need the NHS at some point in your life.
Original post by TulipFields
Well, they have no choice- because someone has to pay for the treatment, and if the person is uninsured, who would? Not the taxpayer, surely? :wink:

I don't know, I thought either the hospital or the taxpayer. I know it goes against the American ethos of only caring about themselves but I didn't realise they would stoop that low.
Like I said, you cant compare thing like healthcare and things like postal services.

Why not? Because it's essential? So? That doesn't mean that it's better provided by the State. Food is fairly essential, so is housing, heating and water, but they're not state monopolies.

Nor is there a proof that private insurance would become better and more available if there would be no centralized healthcare system

There isn't proof it wouldn't, though, so arguing over proof is irrelevant. It follows that where there's no alternative that's free at the point of use, consumers would be more discerning over what is in their healthcare package.

What would the land tax cover in terms of supporting the structure of the country?

It could raise up to £400bn, based upon back of the envelope calculations - as a central estimate.

In any case, I do not agree with libertarianism. We have evolved as societies, we have worked together and shared the fruits of our labour throughout centurie, and I don't think that every individual would work equally well on his own compared to working in a team. Its far more economical to live in a large household, than on your own.

Libertarianism is opposing the initiation of force. It is not about individualism, or stopping people working in a team, it's about allowing people the choice. The choice to pick their provider, to pick their employees and employers, to negotiate their own wages, to pick their schools and how much they wish to pay for them, to choose how to spend their money, to choose who they work with, to choose whether they work in a team, to choose how they spend their well-earned resources. It's NOT about stopping people working in a team - or working together, or sharing the fruits of their labour, it's about allowing people to have the freedom to live as they choose, and to associate with who they want. To paint Libertarianism as purely individualistic is a myth.

Also, read Ormond Drone's post

I have, I don't see the point? All he is saying is that private medical insurance doesn't duplicate many of the services already paid for under the NHS, and why should it, what demand would there be for that?

1 - Are you really saying everyone could afford private care if they weren't taxed so much? That is quite a claim considering the cost of many treatments.

2 - It isn't a falacy and is quite logical. You charge people for healthcare, there will be people who can't afford it, so there will be people who die because of it.

Most people would be covered because the market drives down costs and efficiency and quality up (this is a univeral empirical rule, and there is absolutely no reason that this would not be the case in healthcare.) The people who are not covered would be covered by charity, friendly societies etc.

Yes, it puts personal responsibility on everybody. It is up to YOU to ensure that you provide for your own healthcare in the best way you can instead of relying on a group of thugs to go around taking other peoples' money for you.

People would not be dying on the street in the same way that city centres aren't full of people dead from starvation.

As for 2. Just look at some of those NHS mortality rates compared to semi-private systems around the world. How many people do you think die from the mediocrity inherent in a government monolith?

What the hell has that got to do with anything?
And yes I do. As I, and other people, have said. Healthcare is different. You keep ignoring the reasons we give.

Clearly analogy is lost on you.

You haven't given any reason. If I fill a chocolate teapot while standing on my head it won't melt because I'm upside down.

You have still yet to answer the ethical question.
(edited 12 years ago)
I'm sorry, but as someone who proposed the theory, its up to you to try and sell it to us.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theory_of_the_firm

There you go. Now tell me why it doesn't apply to healthcare.
Original post by callum9999
I don't know, I thought either the hospital or the taxpayer. I know it goes against the American ethos of only caring about themselves but I didn't realise they would stoop that low.

Apparently some of our compatriots would stoop that low too :sadnod:
Google "Sicko", a documentary made on the American helathcare and its comparison against UK. I
Why not? Because it's essential? So? That doesn't mean that it's better provided by the State. Food is fairly essential, so is housing, heating and water, but they're not state monopolies.

There isn't proof it wouldn't, though, so arguing over proof is irrelevant. It follows that where there's no alternative that's free at the point of use, consumers would be more discerning over what is in their healthcare package.

It could raise up to £400bn, based upon back of the envelope calculations - as a central estimate.

Libertarianism is opposing the initiation of force. It is not about individualism, or stopping people working in a team, it's about allowing people the choice. The choice to pick their provider, to pick their employees and employers, to negotiate their own wages, to pick their schools and how much they wish to pay for them, to choose how to spend their money, to choose who they work with, to choose whether they work in a team, to choose how they spend their well-earned resources. It's NOT about stopping people working in a team - or working together, or sharing the fruits of their labour, it's about allowing people to have the freedom to live as they choose, and to associate with who they want. To paint Libertarianism as purely individualistic is a myth.

I have, I don't see the point? All he is saying is that private medical insurance doesn't duplicate many of the services already paid for under the NHS, and why should it, what demand would there be for that?

There is a proof- look at American helathcare? Private insurers, competing against each other, did that make service better? Give me NHS anytime
Like I said before, comparing food and medical care is stupid, even if they are both essential- they are not essential in the same way :facepalm:
Google "Sicko", a documentary made on the American helathcare and its comparison against UK. I

Yeah I've seen it. I'd be weary holding it up as a source of information on their health system as it's clearly heavily biased, but at the end of the day, you can't argue with the facts in there.
Reply 455

A highly biased 'documentary'. I expect to see reason and nuance when I see arguments.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theory_of_the_firm

There you go. Now tell me why it doesn't apply to healthcare.

This doesn't mean anything
Because healthcare is not just any service. You don't like food- you go to a cheaoer supermarket. You dont like clothes- you go to a cheaper store. You need treatment for a chronic disease that is not covered by any insurance package, or you don't have enough money to settle a hefty hospital bill after a serious operation, you are screwed.
Applying different politico-socio-economic models to a hypothetical situation is swell and dandy, but you have to see things in a real life context. The model of freemarket healthcare exists in America, and it doesn't work. Well, it might work for them, but I know what I'd choose. State healthcare that takes my money and treats me or insurance that takes my money and makes a profit out of it, in my expense.
Original post by isaqyi
A highly biased 'documentary'. I expect to see reason and nuance when I see arguments.

I don't see much reason or nuance in your arguments.
I'm on the right and I STILL think you're an ignorant cretin OP. The NHS has many faults but for what its worth I think its one of the best healthcare systems in the world. If you want to go private, go private. Or emmigrate. We dont care what you choose.
Original post by isaqyi

Everyone has bias, there is no such thing as an 'unbiased' documentary. A documentary that disagrees with your world view is not necessarily more biased than a documentary that agrees with your world view.

Latest

Trending

Trending