The Student Room Group

Getting time off at sainsbury's please help

Can someone please help me

I have just got a job as a part time customer service assistant at sainsbury's. I have already done the main training, and have my checkout training this saturday, I then have a shift on sunday and monday. I am then supposed to have two more shifts the following saturday and sunday.

However, I forgot to tell them that I am supposed to be going to a friends 18th to a place 3 hours away from me on the latter saturday, which would mean missing both my shifts, as my sunday shift is an early one.

I really want to go to this 18th, as he is one of my oldest and closest friends, and i have a lot of friends going there that I haven't seen for ages.

How do I go about getting the time off? Have I got any chance at all?
Sorry youve got no chance unless you lie and say someone died but itd be really bad if they found out where you really were. You need to prioritise whether you really need the job or your friends party means more? you could go out with them another time?
Reply 2
When i started once i haad done my till training they allowed me to have the rest of the week off because i'd done my contracted amount of hours. Maybe they'll do the same for you?
IF not you could always explain the situation
they may allow you to swap your shifts to another day or something?
Reply 3
If you've already agreed to the shifts then you should do them. If not they should be a bit lenient as you are new, but just be honest and explain the situation, that it was something you had booked a long time ago and please could you make up the shifts another time instead.

At the end of the day if they/ you can get someone to cover it they should have nothing to complain about.
Original post by lissa
When i started once i haad done my till training they allowed me to have the rest of the week off because i'd done my contracted amount of hours. Maybe they'll do the same for you?
IF not you could always explain the situation
they may allow you to swap your shifts to another day or something?

Original post by areonite
If you've already agreed to the shifts then you should do them. If not they should be a bit lenient as you are new, but just be honest and explain the situation, that it was something you had booked a long time ago and please could you make up the shifts another time instead.

At the end of the day if they/ you can get someone to cover it they should have nothing to complain about.

What I was maybe going to do is say that I have a cousin's wedding the next day and that it has been booked for ages. I think they might be more lenient if it is a family wedding instead of just a party
What do you think?
Reply 5
I wouldn't lie, it will probably come back to you at some point if you do. Just tell them how important it is to you.
DONT LIE, you could get found out later via facebook or anything. Just say the truth (I would ring your manager ASAP not wait untill you go in) just apologise alot.
Reply 7
Original post by thecookiemonster
Can someone please help me

I have just got a job as a part time customer service assistant at sainsbury's. I have already done the main training, and have my checkout training this saturday, I then have a shift on sunday and monday. I am then supposed to have two more shifts the following saturday and sunday.

However, I forgot to tell them that I am supposed to be going to a friends 18th to a place 3 hours away from me on the latter saturday, which would mean missing both my shifts, as my sunday shift is an early one.

I really want to go to this 18th, as he is one of my oldest and closest friends, and i have a lot of friends going there that I haven't seen for ages.

How do I go about getting the time off? Have I got any chance at all?

Don't lie while you're in your probationary period, otherwise if you get found out you will be in big trouble. It depends on who does the scheduling in your store, in ours on checkouts one of the supervisors does it but in other stores the checkout manager does it. Anyway talk to one of them, explain your situation and ask if there is anyone who can cover the shifts for you. If not emphasize how close the friend is to you and how much it would mean to go to the party and offer to take it unpaid or make up the shifts in the week when they need extra staff? But whatever you do, don't lie, slight exaggeration is fine but too often you can get caught out if you lie.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending