The Student Room Group

Hi, I got caught using a child ticket on london underground!?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by x-pixie-lottie-x
This exactly this... quite often can walk the distance (lazyness :biggrin:)
or drive it for half the price.... train birmingahm - exeter was £40+each i can drive there and back onone tank which also costs £40, plus i can take 3 others with me on that ! stupidness!
x

You don't get it, do you? Yes, public transport is expensive. How does that justify fare-dodging?

High rail/underground prices are not stupid or ridiculous. They are a product of what they are. What is the only way to keep prices down? Subsidy by taxation. Why are prices so high? Because rail unions can demand wages and conditions for their members far in excess of the going rates, by holding the country to ransom.
Reply 41
Your assets will be frozen, then you will be taken to another country for an initial 2 years of torture before being moved to a forced labour camp in the USA.
Reply 42
How much is the ticket for London metro??And the week passes?How much did they fine you?in Greece a few years ago foolishly I didn't buy a ticket and I was caught and the fine...40 euros instead of 1 euro I could have payed..
or drive it for half the price.... train birmingahm - exeter was £40+each i can drive there and back onone tank which also costs £40, plus i can take 3 others with me on that ! stupidness!
x

Exactly! I've just started driving so that'll be my main way of getting around :smile:
I've had to pay full fare on the bus since I was 14.
It's like "Oh, I'm an adult at 14? Fine then, I'll have a pint please."
Original post by confuse123
It was such a stupid act!!! I will regret this forever. I decided to do it because I forgot my railcard today (which usually gives me discount) and the normal day travelcard is expensive :frown:. So there I got caught by the inspector and I had to give my name and address and real date of birth (as I tried to lie initially :frown:). The thing is, he said that all I would get would be a letter telling me not to do this again. Is this the truth? or anything more serious could happen to me?
Btw I am 18 years of age and being an international student.
Please help if possible :frown:((((((((

I did this, all I had to do was pay a twenty pound fine. Your name won't go down or anything don't worry.
Original post by Clip
No, you're something else, and it is spelled with four letters, not five.

Kay, whatever.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Clip
No, you're something else, and it is spelled with four letters, not five.

2kewl
Original post by Clip
One has nothing to do with the other.

What does London Underground have to do with Apple? Nothing.

Are you suggesting that because a company that you say (without attribution) defies employment laws in China (sic), that justifies fare-dodging?

Nice job side stepping the point and inventing statements. You mentioned a company (Apple iPad) who are committing criminal acts, to couter argue against another poster justifying a criminal act. That's it.
The popo are cominggggg.
Original post by im so academic
Sucks to be you, I'm a child and I recall I got a return ticket on with the National Rail for 20p. :ahee:

It's great being a child.

Until you remember that you will have to pay £18000 more than me to go to university.
Reply 51
Original post by im so academic
I would've used a fake name and address of a local Argos or Tesco or something. :mmm:

Sucks to be you, I'm a child and I recall I got a return ticket on with the National Rail for 20p. :ahee:

It's great being a child.

Does Darcy also like the fact that you're a child?
Reply 52
Original post by Dude Where's My Username
Nice job side stepping the point and inventing statements. You mentioned a company (Apple iPad) who are committing criminal acts, to couter argue against another poster justifying a criminal act. That's it.

That is absurd.

This has got nothing to do with Apple allegedly doing anything. If anything, your last statement is even more absurd than the last.

I said "iPads are expensive, why not steal them from your friends?"

So in your book, if you read on the internet that a company exploits workers (in a Police State no less), then you are justified in stealing their products from third parties?

So, if hypothetically, Abercrombie exploit workers in Vietnam, and your next-door neighbour owns an Abercrombie jacket, you would feel justified in stealing it?
Original post by confuse123
It was such a stupid act!!! I will regret this forever. I decided to do it because I forgot my railcard today (which usually gives me discount) and the normal day travelcard is expensive :frown:. So there I got caught by the inspector and I had to give my name and address and real date of birth (as I tried to lie initially :frown:). The thing is, he said that all I would get would be a letter telling me not to do this again. Is this the truth? or anything more serious could happen to me?
Btw I am 18 years of age and being an international student.
Please help if possible :frown:((((((((

I've heard it's just a warning. Nice try though; you were pretty unlucky to be caught! In all the years I've travelled on the underground, I never even seen a ticket inspector, never mind had my ticket inspected!
Original post by Clip
You don't get it, do you? Yes, public transport is expensive. How does that justify fare-dodging?

High rail/underground prices are not stupid or ridiculous. They are a product of what they are. What is the only way to keep prices down? Subsidy by taxation. Why are prices so high? Because rail unions can demand wages and conditions for their members far in excess of the going rates, by holding the country to ransom.

they are both stupid and rediculous you cant tell me it costs that much to put that train/coach on and to staff it... think.. a coach leeds to london - 50 odd seats £20-£50 each at £20 each thats £1,000! you cant tell me it cost more than that to run that coach from leeds to london and to pay the driver that day? and thats just that coach! and at the lowest fare of which there are few, there are many of these a day, going to many other places, thats an awful lot of extra money made...

for me when i was at college because of where i live a private coach company runs the buses which run through where i live into town, £2.30 to go the 15 miles..and guess what this company hasnt gone out of business hasnt stopped running those buses because they price it realistically, to go on a first bus the 3 miles from college to town it would of cost me £1.70... for 60p more i can go an extra 12 miles!

and at what point did i say i fare dodge? i didnt... i public transport dodge.... i walk, get a lift, or drive myself instead
x
(edited 12 years ago)
Becoz itz kewl man.... eum.... innit? Bruv. :danceboy:
(That was a joke).
x

Not really. For the train you are paying for the cost of fuel, plus the purchase of the train, plus the staff, plus the station maintenance, plus the track maintenance and then for all the people who fare dodge.

Not a fair comparison - I assume you car wasn't free with free insurance, free road tax and free maintenance?
Reply 58
how do they know youre not a child?
Original post by callum9999
Not really. For the train you are paying for the cost of fuel, plus the purchase of the train, plus the staff, plus the station maintenance, plus the track maintenance and then for all the people who fare dodge.

Not a fair comparison - I assume you car wasn't free with free insurance, free road tax and free maintenance?

ok 400 insurance 125 road tax
and yes actually free maintenance only parts cost, which this year has been 2 new tyres so £60

so £585 ... so thats £1.60 a day...
ok... train birmingam to plymouth - £40 each (this is rounded down...) so - 5 people = 200
car birmingham to plymouth - £40 petrol plus the 1.60 (yes my car does get used daily even if it is just to take my sister to school or go to my grans) divided by 5 = £8.32 i still just saved myself £31.68
were talking £40 each when booking over a month in advance! to go tomorrow lunchtime thats £71 each (single)!!! and would still cost me the same to drive...

now of course none of this really matters untill you get to the part that they are trying to encourage people to use public transport... why would they when its cheaper not to?!

x
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest