The Student Room Group

2012 Medicine Re-Applicants Mark I

Scroll to see replies

I know i shouldnt really post this here, but you guys might know what im on about :smile:
Basically I accepted my biomed offer in case I mess up my exams. Can i definitely ring up Newcastle when I get 3As on results day and say im not coming?

Thanks
Original post by platty1907
I know i shouldnt really post this here, but you guys might know what im on about :smile:
Basically I accepted my biomed offer in case I mess up my exams. Can i definitely ring up Newcastle when I get 3As on results day and say im not coming?

Thanks

Yes. They won't want you if you don't want to be there :smile:
Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope
Yes. They won't want you if you don't want to be there :smile:

good :smile: I just didnt want it to get to results day, get fantastic grades and them say YOU MUST COME!!!

Thanks
Just to let you guys know, I got into medicine second time round without getting a job as an HCA or a care assistant or any of those things! I work at the Co-op :tongue:.
Reply 1424
Original post by Yellowmonkeyman
Just to let you guys know, I got into medicine second time round without getting a job as an HCA or a care assistant or any of those things! I work at the Co-op :tongue:.

what were your grades UKCAT and uni's
Original post by dmz
what were your grades UKCAT and uni's

A*AAAAAAAAAB - GCSE.
A* (Chem) A (Physics) A (Biology) a (Maths) - A + As level.
637.5 UKCAT.

Unis were:
Hull York,
Lancaster,
Brighton and Sussex,
Leicester.

Got offers from Hull York and Lancaster, post interview rejection at BSMS and pre interview rejection at Leicester. :smile:
Reply 1426
Original post by fruitfan
Right guys I have a problem . I am getting no where with advanced higher chemistry unit 3.
Unit 1 and 2 are ok. But unit 3-i havent a scooby. Teachers are no good, and ive tried writing notes but doesnt help. Any advice ?

Sorry for brining this problem here, I guess this is the only place with caring (future doctors) people that'll possibly give a solution. Thanks a bunch :wink:

PAST PAPERS... Do past paper after past paper. You'll notice the same questions come up A LOT. (Even with the same numbers/chemicals). If you get something wrong, look at the solution, write it down on a notepad. LEARN STUFF YOU GET WRONG. That's my plan anyway.
Reply 1427
A*AAAAAAAAAB - GCSE.
637.5 UKCAT.

Unis were:
Hull York,
Lancaster,
Brighton and Sussex,
Leicester.

Got offers from Hull York and Lancaster, post interview rejection at BSMS and pre interview rejection at Leicester. :smile:

i couldn't apply most of them cos i got a B at GCSE but I'm just very unlucky with grades :tongue: CONGRATZ anyway
Reply 1428
Original post by -Taz-
I've just realised UKCAT registration opens in a couple of days. I hadn't thought about it up until now tbh - it really brings home the reality of 4 rejections :console:

I'm looking to do the UKCAT as soon as possible so i can be in a position to decide which med schools to apply to this time :crossedf: Do you guys agree that's the best way?

It's here ALREADY? I feel sick just thinking about sitting in that tiny room on front of that computer again...
Original post by dmz
i couldn't apply most of them cos i got a B at GCSE but I'm just very unlucky with grades :tongue: CONGRATZ anyway

You should be finnnne! I wouldn't think my application was that competitive really when you see all these people with 10 A*s and 750 UKCAT but I did alright :smile:.

I've come to the conclusion that personal statement wields a lot of power in terms of getting interviews and people don't realise this. The moment they get those 10 A*s, people think they are into Uni already.. Little do they know :colone:..

:tongue: Practising for the UKCAT yet? :colone:
A*AAAAAAAAAB - GCSE.
637.5 UKCAT.

Unis were:
Hull York,
Lancaster,
Brighton and Sussex,
Leicester.

So what did you put in your personal statement in terms of work experience..?
Well done on your offers btw! :smile:
Original post by FunsizedKarateGeek
So what did you put in your personal statement in terms of work experience..?
Well done on your offers btw! :smile:

I am curious to know this as well. :tongue:
Reply 1432
You should be finnnne! I wouldn't think my application was that competitive really when you see all these people with 10 A*s and 750 UKCAT but I did alright :smile:.

I've come to the conclusion that personal statement wields a lot of power in terms of getting interviews and people don't realise this. The moment they get those 10 A*s, people think they are into Uni already.. Little do they know :colone:..

Leeds gave me 22/24 for ps but Keele and aberdeen seemed to think it was ****, tho my grades were ****, 10 more ums and it would all have been a different story :cry:
Original post by dmz

Leeds gave me 22/24 for ps but Keele and aberdeen seemed to think it was ****, tho my grades were ****, 10 more ums and it would all have been a different story :cry:

You is the man, demi. :colondollar:
Reply 1434
Original post by twelve
Depends how long you've got to practise before you take it.

I mean, I'm planning on doing mine towards the end of August, probably around results day, because I have three weeks of holidays booked and paid for, pretty much straight after exams, so I won't have much time to practise if I wanted to do it early like I was originally going to do.

I bet it's great motivation knowing you've just got to get the grades and you can have a wonderful holiday. Have fun btw:dance:

Original post by twelve

I'm going to try and make a list in the first few weeks of the holidays of 'I got a high UKCAT med schools', 'I got an average UKCAT med schools' and 'I got a really terrible UKCAT FML med schools'. So then when it comes to exams I can just make my decisions, and try and choose which of my PS drafts to use for that application.

The trouble is you just don't know what the UKCAT cut offs will be. I remember for this cycle i was unsure about applying to Sheffield, because the year before their UKCAT cutoff had been 685. I scored 687.5, so i decided against applying, assuming it would go up about 10 points. Turns out their cutoff this year was something like 717.5...
Reply 1435

Good to hear. I very much doubt i'd get a HCA-type job during my gap year. I'm probably going to be having an operation around September/October time which makes it difficult to apply for a job starting around that time, because i have no clue how much recovery time i'll need or indeed when it's taking place

Original post by dmz

I got a C and (technically) a B at GCSE and i got interviews at HYMS and Leicester

Original post by Braddd
It's here ALREADY? I feel sick just thinking about sitting in that tiny room on front of that computer again...

I know :/

You'd think they'd at least provide us with a half-decent calculator...
i still haven't declined my chemistry offer, im kinda scared to!
Reply 1437
Original post by atomos

Yeah my Chem. Eng. offer is still just sitting there.... Gonna have to do it by Thursday...
Original post by atomos

Original post by Braddd
Yeah my Chem. Eng. offer is still just sitting there.... Gonna have to do it by Thursday...

I firmed my biochem offer :smile:
you can always pull out after results day can't you.. :wink:
Original post by Braddd

Doitdoitdoit.

Where's your offer from?

Quick Reply

Latest