The Student Room Group

Girls with boyfriends

What is it with girls who always talk about their relationships? The girls who always bring up their boyfriend in any god damn conversation no matter what. Do girls really think guys want to hear about their boyfriends? Why do girls define themselves by who theyre dating in a more extreme way than boys?

Scroll to see replies

*shrugs* sometimes it's because they think you're hitting on them... usually I am... but I still continue... I'm a baaaaaaad little boy
Reply 2
Original post by teenageclay
*shrugs* sometimes it's because they think you're hitting on them... usually I am... but I still continue... I'm a baaaaaaad little boy

this, Haha
Reply 3
Because they want you to stop drooling over them and move on.
Reply 4
(Methinks this is coming from someone who hasn't had many substantial relationships, and is a little bitter/jealous... I could be wrong)

I've never noticed anyone over-talking about their OH. I mean, maybe you think they do, because you notice; it affects you (because you're bitterly single, or trying to get into the girls pants) but your boyfriend/ girlfriend does account for quite a big part of your life/time, so some of your conversation is going to relate to them.

Not in a "Ohhh, let me tell you about my boyfriend again!" way, more of a "Oh, I watched that film last night with my boyfriend.." etc.

TL;DR I really dont think this is an issue.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by dmz
this, Haha

All's fair in love and war :\
Reply 6
I have this situation with my friends...
we are all girls, and i am in no way a lesbian, so im not hitting on them! But my GOD. they GO ON. AND ON. and on. AND ON.

a nice way to shut them up, perlease?? xx
Reply 7
Original post by James4d
(Methinks this is coming from someone who hasn't had many substantial relationships, and is a little bitter/jealous... I could be wrong)

I've enver noticed anyone over-talking about their OH. I mean, maybe you think they do, because you notice; it affects you (because you're bitnterly single or trying to get into the girls pants) but your boyfriend/ girlfriend does account for quite a big part of your life/time, so some of your conversation is going to relate to them.

Not in a "Ohhh, let me tell you about my boyfriend again!" way, more of a "Oh, I watched that film last night with my boyfriend.." etc.

TL;DR I really dont think this is an issue.

Yes you are wrong.
I don't mention my boyfriend a lot, to be honest, but when I do it's simply because it's relevant to the topic of conversation/ a good story. :/ It could just as easily have been a friend or family member, since I mention them about as frequently. If you spend a significant proportion of your free time with someone, then they're bound to crop up in your conversations pretty regularly, I think!
Reply 9
When I'm with my friends I talk about my boyfriend a lot because I spend a lot of my time with him, which means that a lot of the things I do involve him. Also my friends are friends with my boyfriend so it feels like it's okay.
When I'm with people I don't know very well I try not to mention him loads because I don't want to give the 'I'm obsessed with him' vibe haha. And when I'm talking to boys I don't want them to think I'm saying 'back off because I have a boyfriend'.
Original post by Turnerf
a nice way to shut them up, perlease?? xx

Duct tape.
I'm a girl and I hate other girls who are like this. If all someone talks about is their boyfriend I just think what a sad and insecure person they must be. I have honestly met people who within the first 5 minutes of talking to them have described in detail the ins and outs of their relationship - I don't want to know. Fair enough if it comes up in conversation or it's relevant to a point but sometimes I see people bring up topics just so that they can 'boast' about what a wonderful boyfriend they have. I guess they are just trying to convince themselves more than anyone else :wink:
Reply 12
Original post by stroppyninja
Duct tape.

haha, genuinely just laughed out loud!!
The non stop chatting is definitely a massive downside of an all girl school!
I love talking about my boyfriend and the things we do together. Sometimes I can't quite believe how much my life has changed since I met him, how he lifts me up and brings out the best in me, how he has introduced me to new hobbies and taught me new things about the world. I count myself extremely lucky and will never really understand what he sees in me. But talking about how happy he makes me to my friends makes it seem a bit more real. Sure, he is not the only thing I have to talk about but he is a significant part of my life so...
Maybe because they're in love and love talking about their bf...

Guys know they're gonna get jeered at if they talk to their guy friends about their gf all the time which is probably why they don't do it in the 1st place. It's normal for girls to coo about their bfs to anyone who'll listen, but generally it's not seen as 'cool' or 'manly' for a guy to do so.
Reply 15
Original post by rosiegarden
When I'm with my friends I talk about my boyfriend because I spend a lot of my time with him, which means that a lot of the things I do involve him. Also my friends are friends with my boyfriend so it feels like it's okay.

This, pretty much ^
I think if he's relevent to the conversation, I'm not going to think "oh, better not talk about my boyfriend" - but then again, you don't just bring them up for the sake of it.

Though, mentioning your boyfriend when being hit on can be very useful in stopping unwanted advances.
Original post by Charlottelisabeth
Maybe because they're in love and love talking about their bf...

Guys know they're gonna get jeered at if they talk to their guy friends about their gf all the time which is probably why they don't do it in the 1st place. It's normal for girls to coo about their bfs to anyone who'll listen, but generally it's not seen as 'cool' or 'manly' for a guy to do so.

that's a bit of an over simplification. from my experience a guy will only talk about his girlfriend if she's:

1) a very new and hot girlfriend.

2) if we're just talking about sex.

3) if he's breaking up with her.

besides that guys never talk about their girlfriend at length; it's just not an interesting topic of conversation.
Reply 17
Original post by Anonymous
Yes you are wrong.

Somehow, I doubt so. :rolleyes:
Reply 18
Original post by James4d
Somehow, I doubt so. :rolleyes:

If you are firm in your opinion about me then don't leave yourself open to correction then you asshat
Meh, for many girls their boyfriends are the only ones that really "love" them or take the time to listen to them banter about... well anything. you have to remember, a large portion of people are well... uneducated and haven't reached that level of mental capacity to think abstractly, to think "differently" than everyone else.

I'm not being sexist here, just going by observation, a large portion of women just don't think critically. They don't think rationally. Now I know I'm going to get flak about this but I'm not saying all and I'm not saying either/or is superior to the other, however a a large percentage of women think with their feelings rather then their minds. This isn't their fault, it's the result of the environment they live in.

Most environments around the world are patriarchal, entitling men to the power, money, and all that "good" stuff. Women are here and hold an equal value to men. Equal. I believe that men and women are equal on a mental level, of course you have to factor in the biological aspect as well; we are ultimately limited to what our genes provide us.

I'm jumping around here but my overall gist is... well that a lot of women are raised with the idea that these petty ideas that they might have are important. The whole materialistic and beauty of things over rational thinking and structuring the mind. And again I'm not saying all, I'm just mentioning MY observations from many cities and university studies. I also can't read minds so I could be completely wrong, however if i was I don't think the observations I have wouldn't reproduce predicable patterns at the rate I'm seeing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending