The Student Room Group

Want red hair but have a question...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by The Procrastinator
Ello

Okay well my hair is naturally a rubbish mousy colour but I colour it dark brown. I have about two or three inches of regrowth of mousy blonde/brown. How do I dye my hair red that will come out evenly? I don't want to bleach it if possible. Could I like put the red dye on the dark part of my hair then towards the end stick some on my roots for 5-10 mins?

Also can red go drastically wrong?

I wanted this red colour...

It's not too bright which is fine because this is my first time :biggrin:

Thanks!

You should try henna, it doesn't damage your hair at all (actually nourishes it) and, in my opinion, looks awesome. It also won't turn your hair green by accident.

Here's mine, dyed it a few months ago with Lush Caca Rouge (which I highly recommend) :cool: :

(edited 12 years ago)
God no!!!!!! I've always liked red hair (not sure where I saw it first) just never got round to it :biggrin:

well that's a relief then lol. coz apparently after she dyed her hair red, the sales of red hair dye increased!! you can tell how easily the public are influenced :wink:
Original post by Xristina

:colondollar:

Oh your hair looks perfect in that pic. I have the same problem, when I go to the hairdressers (always) it fades so quickly. I thought it was the colour but your post made me doubt it.
Ok so this dye XXL red passion, where can I buy it from? Also when you say you dyed it again you mean straight away or the next time? How long does the colour last?
My roots are also brown (not light but not that dark either) do I have to dye them first and leave the dye for longer than the rest of the hair? I've never dyed my hair on my own... Is it easy or do I need a friend?

I get my XXL red passion from superdrug, its about £4.26 or something, it lasts aaaaaaages! I haven't dyed my hair for months and its still really red. If my roots would stop growing I wouldn't need to dye my hair that's how long it lasts! It was the next tiem I dyed it, but I think that was about a month after the first time. And I'd say just slap it all on at the same time.. if there is a difference at all in the colour it wouldn't be noticible :smile:
I dye my hair on my own all the time and i'm fine; it gets everywhere though haha! But to stop it from temp staining your face used loads of vaseline right before the hairline cause then if dye gets on your skin it'll just wipe off.

Basically, just go for it! What's the worst that can happen!
Original post by Jar of Hearts
I get my XXL red passion from superdrug, its about £4.26 or something, it lasts aaaaaaages! I haven't dyed my hair for months and its still really red. If my roots would stop growing I wouldn't need to dye my hair that's how long it lasts! It was the next tiem I dyed it, but I think that was about a month after the first time. And I'd say just slap it all on at the same time.. if there is a difference at all in the colour it wouldn't be noticible :smile:
I dye my hair on my own all the time and i'm fine; it gets everywhere though haha! But to stop it from temp staining your face used loads of vaseline right before the hairline cause then if dye gets on your skin it'll just wipe off.

ah I am so excited, thank you!!!
ah I am so excited, thank you!!!

Me too!! hahaha :biggrin:
Original post by Einheri
You should try henna, it doesn't damage your hair at all (actually nourishes it) and, in my opinion, looks awesome. It also won't turn your hair green by accident.

Here's mine, dyed it a few months ago with Lush Caca Rouge (which I highly recommend) :cool: :

Your hair is really glossy! But I want it a more blood red colour :biggrin: Unless you can get that in henna as well? So much choice out there :colondollar:
Reply 66
Ooo that's pretty cool! I don't want to be that red just yet...I want to gradually get there so people don't freak out :biggrin: thanks for the vid!

No problem. Did you see the video response? Worth a look because hers turned out darker.
Reply 67
My situation is pretty much the same as yours; mousy brown hair, was dying it dark, went for red instead. For a while I tried Live XXL which is okay! Then moved on to L'oreal Feria Colour 3D for a while (in Scarlet Power), which is actually a pretty nice colour and came out quite well over my middish brown sort of hair, pretty close to the sort of shade in your OP :smile: the colour doesn't stick around for long though sadly!

If you want something brighter however: Colour B4 extra strength, followed by one tube of L'oreal Majicontrast in Red, plus 75mL of 30vol peroxide =

Spoiler

scary face not included. brighter irl. and no bleach!
As for going to a salon - wouldn't really recommended it. Red colour never holds for long and it'll cost you at least 5 times as much as a box job (which really can't go wrong if you're just whacking it over your existing colour), I had mine done once professionally - nice colour initially, faded as quickly as anything else, and I managed to get a better colour at home next time round anyway. Little bit of trial and error with different dyes but got there in the end :p:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 68
Your hair is really glossy! But I want it a more blood red colour :biggrin: Unless you can get that in henna as well? So much choice out there :colondollar:

Hmmm, you'd probably have a hard time getting that with henna, chances are that you'd need it bleached and then dyed professionally.
Reply 69
Henna is also a bit of a bitch if you intend on using any dyes on it other than henna until it's grown out, bleaching over it/using permanent dyes over it can absolutely cook your hair.
Reply 70

Well... She could die...
Original post by owliver

Original post by owliver
Well... She could die...

What's the chances!:P
Always thinking morbid owliver, always morbid.
Reply 72
What's the chances!:P
Always thinking morbid owliver, always morbid.

Okay, Less morbid...

Uhh..

She could go Actual carrotty ginger :'(
That would be a bad moment...
Reply 73
My normal hair colour is dark brown. One day I just bought red hair dye and it came out evenly. Really bright and stunning red. Now I have ginger hair colour (I like more than the red hair colour) and it evenly covers my new brown roots. But if your roots are very mousy/blonde compared to your dyed hair... Maybe go to a salon and ask them to bleach them just a bit. Not completely blonde but to remove your brown hair dye.
Original post by owliver
Okay, Less morbid...

Uhh..

She could go Actual carrotty ginger :'(
That would be a bad moment...

If that happend it would be like the time I had my hair cut to chin length...and hating it. Sat in front of a mirror rocking back and forth, crying, and trying to pull my hair long again :colondollar:
Reply 75
If that happend it would be like the time I had my hair cut to chin length...and hating it. Sat in front of a mirror rocking back and forth, crying, and trying to pull my hair long again :colondollar:

I'd die if I went proper ginger.

Auburn for me :biggrin: (and all natural :wink:)

BUT I DON'T THINK IT WILL HAPPEN!!
Original post by Dumpynose
No problem. Did you see the video response? Worth a look because hers turned out darker.

Just seen it now, aaaah that's pretty much what I want! I may dye my root a bit to match the rest of my hair so it will come out more evenly. Now gotta find this crazy wonder stuff! :biggrin: Thanks
Original post by Lucyyy
My situation is pretty much the same as yours; mousy brown hair, was dying it dark, went for red instead. For a while I tried Live XXL which is okay! Then moved on to L'oreal Feria Colour 3D for a while (in Scarlet Power), which is actually a pretty nice colour and came out quite well over my middish brown sort of hair, pretty close to the sort of shade in your OP :smile: the colour doesn't stick around for long though sadly!

If you want something brighter however: Colour B4 extra strength, followed by one tube of L'oreal Majicontrast in Red, plus 75mL of 30vol peroxide =

Spoiler

scary face not included. brighter irl. and no bleach!
As for going to a salon - wouldn't really recommended it. Red colour never holds for long and it'll cost you at least 5 times as much as a box job (which really can't go wrong if you're just whacking it over your existing colour), I had mine done once professionally - nice colour initially, faded as quickly as anything else, and I managed to get a better colour at home next time round anyway. Little bit of trial and error with different dyes but got there in the end :p:

That looks cool :biggrin: I use L'oreal excellence creme dark brown so maybe using the L'oreal would be a "safe" choice. I just need to get experimenting I think! Will have to wait till payday in 2 weeks! :frown: If I do it (and it goes well!) I'll post a pic of my effort :biggrin: Thanks for your help!
Reply 78
Just seen it now, aaaah that's pretty much what I want! I may dye my root a bit to match the rest of my hair so it will come out more evenly. Now gotta find this crazy wonder stuff! :biggrin: Thanks

Good luck with it! Did you not see the description on the video...

http://www.hairorder.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_3_30&products_id=238

you'll obviously need developer too! Yeah let us know how it turns out :smile:

EDIT: I have a plan (or maybe this is what you were going to do) dye your hair brown first but then let it fade over a few washes then use the red and you won't have to worry about your roots! Sneaky eh?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Dumpynose
Good luck with it! Did you not see the description on the video...

http://www.hairorder.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_3_30&products_id=238

you'll obviously need developer too! Yeah let us know how it turns out :smile:

EDIT: I have a plan (or maybe this is what you were going to do) dye your hair brown first but then let it fade over a few washes then use the red and you won't have to worry about your roots! Sneaky eh?

Haha no I didn't see it, but I do nooow! :biggrin:

Yeah I was going to dye my hair like a shade lighter than normal so my roots wont be so bright. Brown is good, my hair is as dark as ever, no fade! Shame my hair has to grow really...

Quick Reply

Latest