The Student Room Group

I really want a baby!!

Im 19 and i will be turning 20 in december. I work full time, earn a good amount of money for my age.

For the past 7 years, i have wanted a baby. Ive had a crap past 2 years and 3 months ago, i was diagnosed as being severely depressed. Im being treated for my depression but my desire to have a baby has only gotten stronger.

I know its stupid and people will say im not in the right frame of mind to have a baby but i believe i am. I know they are hard work, expensive and its not all about dressing them up. I know it would be hard. What scares me is that i would happily give up everything to have a baby.

Im on a gap year at the moment and i work in the place where i will be attending uni in september. My mum isnt around anymore, my boyfriend left me and i dont have the best relationship with my dad. My best friend is at uni far away and i feel so alone.

Call me naive or stupid but i cannot get the need for a baby out of my head. My other best friend has everything i want. She is engaged to a guy shes been with for 6 years, has a gorgeous 2 year old son and another on the way. Im thrilled for her and i love spoiling her little boy.

No one knows how much i want a baby. i need advice or help or anything because im not getting it from anyone else. I dont want to feel like this because i have so much to do and im not even in a relationship at the moment. I just want someone to talk to about it because i shouldnt feel like this. Having a baby is all i think of. Please, any advice would be extremely appreaciated. x

Scroll to see replies

buy a puppy?
Reply 2
I already have three dogs x
hey :sexface:

sign a contract relinquishing me of all fatherhood duties and i'll be round in 5
(edited 12 years ago)
You don't watch Eastenders do you?...

I don't really know how to help. Perhaps get a puppy. That way you can care for something and looking after a puppy will take your mind off a baby? Perhaps :s-smilie:
a baby's for life. really think you should wait a bit. a baby is not the answer to all your problems. you need to be happy with yourself and life before you're ready for that.

i get broody too at times. picked out names and everything. but i know i'm not ready for one and i'm 19 too.
I think I can help.

Call me :sexface:
Reply 7
I've been in that position but you have to remember that it's fine to daydream but ultimately there's wanting a baby, and wanting a happy baby. Feeling ready doesn't necessarily mean you are. Ultimately you, as was I, are looking for unconditional love as you've had a long period of feeling abandoned and lonely. This is not something to be ashamed of, but a baby will not fix this, and is likely to make you feel even more lonely.
You have many years ahead of you to have children, and I'm sure you will someday - you've had a boyfriend before, it means you have potential to have a boyfriend again. Not to mention you'll be meeting new people next year.
I know it's hard, PM me if you want, but please, solider on for a little longer and you'll find things will get better. xxx
Reply 8
I want a baby too :smile:
I'm terrified of girls like you.
Reply 10
I thought that's what eBay was for?
Reply 11
If you're "extremely depressed", then you're obviously not in the right frame of mind to bring a child into this world.
Depressed? Have a baby... >.<
I'll knock you up if you want. :sexface:

But seriously, you are being ridiculously selfish. imagine what the baby will grow up to be like, if his mother is single and depressed.
Reply 14
@Nick Longjohnson - i would never trick anyone into having one. And i want to be settled before i do have one
Reply 15
Original post by BlueJoker
I've been in that position but you have to remember that it's fine to daydream but ultimately there's wanting a baby, and wanting a happy baby. Feeling ready doesn't necessarily mean you are. Ultimately you, as was I, are looking for unconditional love as you've had a long period of feeling abandoned and lonely. This is not something to be ashamed of, but a baby will not fix this, and is likely to make you feel even more lonely.
You have many years ahead of you to have children, and I'm sure you will someday - you've had a boyfriend before, it means you have potential to have a boyfriend again. Not to mention you'll be meeting new people next year.
I know it's hard, PM me if you want, but please, solider on for a little longer and you'll find things will get better. xxx

That. Just think about this: the best thing yoy can do in order to have a happy baby is not to have a baby now, and focus on fixing things in your own life first.
Omgosh, don't you have like little cousins or something? You're too young..
Reply 17
Can i just say, im not being selfish because im not going to have one until A)ive sorted myself out and B) until im in a secure and settled relationship...i wouldnt want to give my baby a bad start in life
Original post by cjt051291
Im 19 and i will be turning 20 in december. I work full time, earn a good amount of money for my age.

For the past 7 years, i have wanted a baby. Ive had a crap past 2 years and 3 months ago, i was diagnosed as being severely depressed. Im being treated for my depression but my desire to have a baby has only gotten stronger.

I know its stupid and people will say im not in the right frame of mind to have a baby but i believe i am. I know they are hard work, expensive and its not all about dressing them up. I know it would be hard. What scares me is that i would happily give up everything to have a baby.

Im on a gap year at the moment and i work in the place where i will be attending uni in september. My mum isnt around anymore, my boyfriend left me and i dont have the best relationship with my dad. My best friend is at uni far away and i feel so alone.

Call me naive or stupid but i cannot get the need for a baby out of my head. My other best friend has everything i want. She is engaged to a guy shes been with for 6 years, has a gorgeous 2 year old son and another on the way. Im thrilled for her and i love spoiling her little boy.

No one knows how much i want a baby. i need advice or help or anything because im not getting it from anyone else. I dont want to feel like this because i have so much to do and im not even in a relationship at the moment. I just want someone to talk to about it because i shouldnt feel like this. Having a baby is all i think of. Please, any advice would be extremely appreaciated. x

it's called being broody and everyone gets it but i think about age 28 is the norm
They're bloody expensive. I've not even had mine yet and it's cost me like £1000.

You could maybe go to the doctors and say how you feel? I can't imagine it helping your depression much.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending