The Student Room Group

How has mental illness affected your life?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by eaasy
soundsound, can you get any extra time in exams or anything remotely helpful, yeah im gna be in touch with the nottingham early intervention team who'll look after me.

have you tried CBT, im sposed to be trying that out sometime, its all about trying to stop us being paranoid about everything etc. Does it work?

Yeah you can get extra time and stuff. Like I have exams in a room with only about 10 other people rather than the main room with like 200 to stop from freaking out, which is really useful. Also had a few extensions on essays so I could space them out a bit more so I didn't get too stressed which was again really helpful.

The early intervention team is pretty good (at least the one where I am is), they're good at helping with all different stuff rather than just the one directional kind of help...if that makes sense. Like yeah therapy as well as drugs like you mention.

I found CBT pretty useless tbh, it just seemed like ignoring/misrepresenting the truth to me, but apparently it does really help a lot of people. You have to put in quite a bit of work but I guess if it makes things easier for you it's worth it.
Original post by eaasy
soundsound, can you get any extra time in exams or anything remotely helpful, yeah im gna be in touch with the nottingham early intervention team who'll look after me.

have you tried CBT, im sposed to be trying that out sometime, its all about trying to stop us being paranoid about everything etc. Does it work?

I'm having CBT at the moment and whilst it's less helpful for psychotic voices than it is for thought processes, it's still a very useful tool to have onboard. It is unpleasant at times and a lot of work but I've found it very valuable :smile:
I have OCD.

It makes me really good at Maths.
The problem is in the western world any kind of odd behavior is considered a mental illness. For example more than 3 quarters of the people who take ADHD medicine shouldn't.
Reply 604
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
I'm having CBT at the moment and whilst it's less helpful for psychotic voices than it is for thought processes, it's still a very useful tool to have onboard. It is unpleasant at times and a lot of work but I've found it very valuable :smile:

What do you mean by work? My mental health worker said i would have to do some homework but what type of work is this?
Original post by eaasy
What do you mean by work? My mental health worker said i would have to do some homework but what type of work is this?

When I said "work", I meant you have to put a lot of effort in and it's very draining... at least for me :colondollar: You do sometimes get homework, like keeping a diary of times you get anxious/hear voices/insert symptoms here, etc :yes:
Reply 606
alright cool, im not sure how cbt is going to work for me, as im quite a blunt, logical and straight forward person so interpreting situations differently may be quite difficult. ill give it a go though.
Reply 607
New development in my life: my little brother whacked me the other day,, for 'being weird'
I've suffered from depression and social phobia, along with self harm, for about a year and 9 months- it has ruined pretty much all of my friendships and how I view people, the world, everyday life. I had CBT but only about 8 sessions which is nowhere near enough, my parents thought I was better again and it cost a lot of money so I didn't say anything when I stopped. I was going along quite well until about March time when everything collapsed and I knew I wasn't anywhere near better. The past few weeks have been ok, I'm still cutting but I have things to look forward to so that keeps me going. I have bad days, I have days that are ok and very rarely I get days where I'm happy and I want to live. I know I'll have this for the rest of my life but I can cope with it most of the time now.
(edited 12 years ago)
Was prescribed anti-depressants on Friday. Still need to pick them up. My feet have been off the ground since Tuesday, so I've just been enjoying this rare good feeling. Haven't slept much. But it's fading, slowly - down, down, down to the crash. I'm still restless. And bored. So much to do, yet nothing - odd. Can't sleep. I don't really know what's wrong with me and neither does my GP by the look of things. "Certainly depression". We'll see where this goes.

Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
When I said "work", I meant you have to put a lot of effort in and it's very draining... at least for me :colondollar: You do sometimes get homework, like keeping a diary of times you get anxious/hear voices/insert symptoms here, etc :yes:

:yep: I found it to be incredibly draining as well, not to mention a little tedious as my concentration's poor. The stuff on thought processes was useful - need to give it another go. Soon.
Reply 610
Original post by vixen23
New development in my life: my little brother whacked me the other day,, for 'being weird'

Why is that negative rated? Its an example of how mental illness influences family member's actions, I thought. !
Reply 611
So far only through these annoying threads...
Reply 612
Original post by vixen23

Original post by vixen23
Why is that negative rated? Its an example of how mental illness influences family member's actions, I thought. !

Why did my post receive neg feedback? I was being helpful.
Reply 613
How has mental illness affected my life ... I haven't been able to piece my life together properly since. It's almost as if ever since my head got ****** up things have changed. I don't know how to create a social life I'm content with and I don't know where to find new beginnings. I'm not even unsociable or anything, but just being able to put life together again after a period of solitude/being withdrawn from everything, is difficult.
Reply 614
does anyone have intrusive thoughts? and how do you cope with it?
Original post by eaasy
does anyone have intrusive thoughts? and how do you cope with it?

Yeah. They're pretty disturbing. Often they will have a particular trigger, and I must get away/ avoid them or it. If I can't get away, I try with all my consciousness to mask my trembling and blushing and think about something else. I fidget or scribble when it becomes almost unavoidable.

Then there are others which are obsessive mental rumination. They last longer, but produce less physical anxiety usually.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 616
Original post by Liquidus Zeromus
Yeah. They're pretty disturbing. Often they will have a particular trigger, and I must get away/ avoid them or it. If I can't get away, I try with all my consciousness to mask my trembling and blushing and think about something else. I fidget or scribble when it becomes almost unavoidable.

Then there are others which are obsessive mental rumination. They last longer, but produce less physical anxiety usually.

**** sounds like you get them pretty bad, ive only just realised i get them really. like when i walk over a bridge or pick up a knife to cut vegetables i get them sometimes which sounds really bad but usually its just for a few seconds. do yours last much longer?
Original post by eaasy
**** sounds like you get them pretty bad, ive only just realised i get them really. like when i walk over a bridge or pick up a knife to cut vegetables i get them sometimes which sounds really bad but usually its just for a few seconds. do yours last much longer?

The other ones I mentioned can continue for hours upon end and I find it hard to distract myself. They only stop once the "cycle" comes to an end. And then they will come back the next day or even a few hours after, and it will start all over again.

But for the shorter ones, they only last as long as I'm in proximity of a trigger, whether it's objects or people. But then they're followed by exhausting social anxiety for the rest of the day.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 618
Original post by Liquidus Zeromus
The other ones I mentioned can continue for hours upon end and I find it hard to distract myself. They only stop once the "cycle" comes to an end. And then they will come back the next day or even a few hours after, and it will start all over again.

But for the shorter ones, they only last as long as I'm in proximity of a trigger, whether it's objects or people. But then they're followed by exhausting social anxiety for the rest of the day.

crap that doesnt sound nice, are you on meds for that?
Original post by eaasy
crap that doesnt sound nice, are you on meds for that?

Not at the moment. I didn't realise I had a problem till late last year. Then there was a ton of confusion after I went to the doctor's, missed my referral, and now I have to sort it out again. :giggle:

Annd I managed to arrange a proper appointment as of today.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending