The Student Room Group

Better revision techniques

I've been revising for a few weeks now, and by revising I am re-reading lectures and the textbook and writing out the 'important' things in bullet points and lists.

Thing is, its just not going in. I just can't remember it. I understand it whilst I'm writing it, but a few days later its gone from my head.

I'm getting really worried. Exams are in a month so I still have time but I'm so worried about failing the exams really badly. Luckily 50% of the modules are already made up with coursework and I only need about 10% in the exam to pass, but I don't want to 'just pass'. I've put so much effort into this year. I'm typically a D student, never achieved anything in my life but over this first year of uni I've worked so hard and have managed to achieve firsts in every un-examined module. But now these two exams are going to let me down.

I just looked at a past paper question, I could remember that I had revised the topic but I didn't have a clue of any of the answers, I had to go back and look.

What can I do to make the facts and knowledge stay in my head? I'm so worried, I've worked so hard this year. I've never been good at exams, not sure I've passed one since GCSE.
(edited 12 years ago)
How do you learn best? From seeing? Hearing? Doing? If you learn best visually, try mindmaps, posters etc. If from hearing trying making your own podcasts, making up silly songs and rhymes. If from doing maybe act processes out.
Reply 2
Original post by Aemiliana
How do you learn best? From seeing? Hearing? Doing? If you learn best visually, try mindmaps, posters etc. If from hearing trying making your own podcasts, making up silly songs and rhymes. If from doing maybe act processes out.

I honestly don't know. To be honest i don't really know how to revise.

Problems with mind maps is the subject is so broad and confusing you can't really fit it on a mind map, and there are diagrams and long explanations that I can't cut down.

So far I've made a change by going through my notes (the ones I wrote whilst revising) and put them onto record cards. But that's it. I don't really know how I'm supposed to revise. There is so much to learn.
Original post by fran.ha

Original post by fran.ha
I honestly don't know. To be honest i don't really know how to revise.

Problems with mind maps is the subject is so broad and confusing you can't really fit it on a mind map, and there are diagrams and long explanations that I can't cut down.

So far I've made a change by going through my notes (the ones I wrote whilst revising) and put them onto record cards. But that's it. I don't really know how I'm supposed to revise. There is so much to learn.

There are tests you can take online?

That's the same with my subjects - I have a mindmap per lecture/seminar. It can still be a squeeze but it works for me.

Maybe do loads of essays/past papers etc (could you ask your lecturer for more if needed?) first with your notes and then slowly without? That way you'll be memorising the content in the exam format
Reply 4
I dont think reading is an effective way to revise. I find it best to make a set of notes for each topic and write them over and over again. Also i find going through practice q's and past papers to be of great help.
Reply 5
Original post by Aemiliana
There are tests you can take online?

That's the same with my subjects - I have a mindmap per lecture/seminar. It can still be a squeeze but it works for me.

Maybe do loads of essays/past papers etc (could you ask your lecturer for more if needed?) first with your notes and then slowly without? That way you'll be memorising the content in the exam format

We don't have essays. I'll try and get more papers but I think there are only 2.
you're meant to read your notes everyday when revising...
thats probably the only way it'll stay in your head..
Reply 7
I tend to write out stuff several times until I could easily memorise it but it takes a lot of time....

I don't know how my friends just manage to know the material by reading it and just highlighting.
Reply 8
Read, take notes, condense notes, condense notes again, read condensedx2 notes
(do this for every chapter)
It said in New Scientist the other week that going over a topic when it's 10-20% closer to the exam date than when you first revised it is the most efficient time. I can't remember any of the figures to back that claim up but it was pretty convincing, with students who did it doing much better in the test than others.
Reply 10
You may want to browse different revision techniques and see what you think would work for you. There are plenty to choose from:

Mind maps: http://studyguidedirectory.blogspot.com/2011/04/mind-maps-memory-and-revision.html

Revision Cards http://studyguidedirectory.blogspot.com/2011/05/revision-and-memory-techniques-revision.html

lots of other memory techniques: http://studyguidedirectory.blogspot.com/2011/04/memory-and-revision-techniques-for.html
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by apanayi23
I dont think reading is an effective way to revise. I find it best to make a set of notes for each topic and write them over and over again. Also i find going through practice q's and past papers to be of great help.

When you do a past paper - to what % do you think is of satisfactory level?
I'm doing a Microeconomics past paper after doing the syllabus 2 times including tutorials but just can't seem to get 35% of the paper. I know what its talking about but how to solve certain parts of it is making me panic.
I do however have 4 days off before this exam.
I have some good revision advice, but I'm not allowed to share it. PM me for a censored copy, before this post gets deleted.
Reply 13
Original post by cookiedough101
When you do a past paper - to what % do you think is of satisfactory level?
I'm doing a Microeconomics past paper after doing the syllabus 2 times including tutorials but just can't seem to get 35% of the paper. I know what its talking about but how to solve certain parts of it is making me panic.
I do however have 4 days off before this exam.

Well to start our courses are completely different, im doing a law degree. My practice questions dont get marked but i compare them to the answers in books or just use them to apply my knowledge. So obviously you want to aim for as high as possible.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending