The Student Room Group

POST HERE For Discussion About The DEATH OF OSAMA BIN LADEN (Updated)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1540
Original post by DH-Biker
You'd wade into the middle of a firefight, hoist him over your shoulders, carry him out and heroically "Get to the choppa'!"? :rolleyes:

No, Summer, you wouldn't. You'd have been shot.

The fact he was in a room defended by God know's how many loyal supporters with firearms, and that they wouldn't exactly relinquish their spiritual leader to you lightly, doesn't exactly bode well for you.

That attack couldn't have lead to anything other then his death. He'd have shot himself or shot at them before being captured.

Im sure people like you would have been saying the same thing about Saddam before he got caught.

I think you guys dont give the US special forces the credit they deserve. If they wanted him alive, Im pretty sure they could have taken him alive. (And he wasnt in a room full of bodyguards. The only others to die were his son, 3 grandkids, a courier and a women. Looks like he chose to try and stay low rather than surround himself with his fighters.)
Original post by SummerSofas
have you heard of rubber bullets? tear gas?

Have you heard of X-number of supporters with AK-47s, AK-74Us and the myriad of other Soviet-Era weaponry left behind that fire real rounds that do kill?

Oh you go right ahead, you attack that compound with rubber rounds whilst they shoot back with live rounds. Oh and tear gas? Yeah, throw forty of those in, you may have time to fire thirty rounds of rubber at someone before the four-minute effect time wears off. :rolleyes:
So who is interested in more photo's? :biggrin:
'President Barack Obama and Vice President Joe Biden, along with members of the national security team, receive an update on the mission against Osama bin Laden in the Situation Room of the White House, May 1, 2011'

Spoiler

Source : The Whitehouse's Flickr
(I found it amusing they have their own Flickr but whatever)
Original post by nosaer
Im sure people like you would have been saying the same thing about Saddam before he got caught.

I think you guys dont give the US special forces the credit they deserve. If they wanted him alive, Im pretty sure they could have taken him alive. (And he wasnt in a room full of bodyguards. The only others to die were his son, 3 grandkids, a courier and a women. Looks like he chose to try and stay low rather than surround himself with his fighters.)

The word "firefight" betrays the fact he did have numerous bodyguards.

Unless grandchildren Bin Laden picked up weaponry and shot back.

I give the US Special Forces every credit. The Navy Seals are one of the most superior special force units in the world. Even the SAS or the Royal Marine Commandos would fail to get him out of there alive.
Reply 1544
Original post by Onwards and Upwards!
*cough* What if they didn't kill him... and do still have him alive... and he is dead to the world but alive to the Americans undergoing true revenge on a sickening scale for the mass atrocities he has committed?

You know, there is actually genuinely nothing to suggest that this could not be true.

Sounds completely plausible to me.

I wonder if wikileaks will shed any light on any events in the decade gone by about OBL and the efforts to catch or kill him?
Original post by Tommyjw
'President Barack Obama and Vice President Joe Biden, along with members of the national security team, receive an update on the mission against Osama bin Laden in the Situation Room of the White House, May 1, 2011'

Spoiler

Source : The Whitehouse's Flickr
(I found it amusing they have their own Flickr but whatever)

Supposedly they watched it live.
Original post by Tommyjw

Image has already been posted in the Original/First Post.
Original post by greengrapes
long story short this osama bin laden is actually called tim osman he worked for the american cia.. and this 9/11 is all an act conducted by the american government to kill there own people and blame a muslim which would lead to a mad hate crime against muslims and terrorism because the americans are afraid they are going to dominate the world. oh yeh the american government conisists of zionist who hate muslims and islam..

Surely you are not this stupid. Surely.
Original post by Aj12
The Americans saw it as a personal attack on every one of them. 9/11 became a national wound.

You are talking to someone who has a mental problem.

He is calling people that celebrate the death of a fascist, fascists.

He clearly has some problems.
Original post by manchild007
Image has already been posted in the Original/First Post.

Well i don't look at the first post.
Considering your first post has nothing of newer value in it anywayyssss
Reply 1550
The word "firefight" betrays the fact he did have numerous bodyguards.

Unless grandchildren Bin Laden picked up weaponry and shot back.

I give the US Special Forces every credit. The Navy Seals are one of the most superior special force units in the world. Even the SAS or the Royal Marine Commandos would fail to get him out of there alive.

If he had bodyguards, they would be dead and accounted for.

The word firefight means nothing, mainly because they aren't going to claim an execution and make him a martyr.

They've had ten years to plan and train for exactly these situations in the event of locating him. To then suggest they still wouldnt have been able to take him alive is not giving them the credit they deserve. Its too late in the night and I've misplaced by armchair general hat, so I can't be bothered to argue this, but you can't seriously believe one of if not the best equiped, best trained, most experienced, most determined fighting force doesn't have it in them to be able to extract targets alive. How the hell do you think they extract hostages, who are probably heavily guarded and booby trapped?
Original post by j.alexanderh

Original post by j.alexanderh
Surely you are not this stupid. Surely.

surely your not gay are you? the chances are quite high unless you have done extensive research on both sides of the story you cant say nutiinnnnnn! why dont you just go and watch cnn news or something!
Original post by Tommyjw
Well i don't look at the first post.
Considering your first post has nothing of newer value in it anywayyssss

Always with the attitude :rolleyes:

I was simply informing you that the image had already been posted in the original post before, but if you want to moronically keep on posting the same thing again, please be my guest :smile:
Original post by NGC773

Original post by NGC773
Really? Lets say you were in the special forces storming a bunker. You see a guy with a weapon and hes about to shoot. What do you do? Are you just going to stay still waiting for him to shoot or are you going to shoot him?

Osama didnt want to be captured, he fought untill he died, he wasnt going to give up. It was him dying or US special forces.

yeh along with me are a dozen of men with guns and rifles so nah i wouldnt shoot cos they have my back and so whats one american life compared to the thousands of afghani women and kids they have killed? yeh it was bound to be him "dying" cos america cant lose a precious soilder who just murders innocent ones around him
Original post by nosaer

Original post by nosaer
Or they could just kill him for real?

I've already said all this. My thoughts are that capturing him would open up a whole can of worms the US wouldnt want to be involved in, so they planned an assasination.

Hmm, do I believe you or the fact Al Qaeda have already confirmed his death, and soon you'll see them replacing him with their number two.

and also if usa didnt want to open a can of worms they should not of invaded afghanistan but they did! they are the most powerful country in the world if they can cover up a death and feed everyone lies they can
Original post by nosaer
If he had bodyguards, they would be dead and accounted for.

The word firefight means nothing, mainly because they aren't going to claim an execution and make him a martyr.

They've had ten years to plan and train for exactly these situations in the event of locating him. To then suggest they still wouldnt have been able to take him alive is not giving them the credit they deserve. Its too late in the night and I've misplaced by armchair general hat, so I can't be bothered to argue this, but you can't seriously believe one of if not the best equiped, best trained, most experienced, most determined fighting force doesn't have it in them to be able to extract targets alive. How the hell do you think they extract hostages, who are probably heavily guarded and booby trapped?

Trust me, two teams of Seals wouldn't be assembled for something as minor as "VIP Grab"; significant resistance would be expected if there was two teams assembled.

Seal Teams statistically work alone, they knew there was going to be bodyguards.

The word firefight directs between two or more individuals, squads or factions engaging in open combat. It doesn't necessarily mean lots of rounds were fired, but it does mean the enemy has returned fire.

Trust me again, I'm well aware of the success criteria of the Navy Seals, my cousin operates with them. Well, second cousin, but the point stands.
They haven't necessarily trained for him being in a hotel; they trained for cave fighting, by default tight structure interiors with little room to maneuverer. From a hotel roof, they could rappel down, but Bin Laden would have heard the helicopters that brought them in anyway, unless they dropped them off.

From what I gather, the Helicopters remained on station, and provided air-to-ground support. Which further justifies numerous contacts, as well as increasing the risk to Osama's life.

There was no way he was getting out of there alive. As I said, he'd have shot himself anyway, so there wasn't much going for his survival and capture.
Have you heard of X-number of supporters with AK-47s, AK-74Us and the myriad of other Soviet-Era weaponry left behind that fire real rounds that do kill?

Oh you go right ahead, you attack that compound with rubber rounds whilst they shoot back with live rounds. Oh and tear gas? Yeah, throw forty of those in, you may have time to fire thirty rounds of rubber at someone before the four-minute effect time wears off. :rolleyes:

your telling me the US special forces couldn't capture him?! if they sent enough men in, they'd have him eventually, like the resident evil films
Reply 1557
Original post by Cheesecakefactory
I have had a stun grenade used on me, so I know first hand how effective they are. Maybe tranquillizer darts are pushing it a bit, but they could at least have tried to stun Bin Laden and handcuff him.

To be fair though when you come face to face with the worlds most wanted man who has been at large for 10 years and also after a 40 minute gun fight you dont exactly go; hang on a minute mate i'm just going to stun grenade you, handcuff you then whisk you off to america.

He had to be killed at all costs if not i beleive he would of killed himself he would never be taken alive
"I mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy. Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that"
Martin Luther King Jr.
Original post by SummerSofas
your telling me the US special forces couldn't capture him?! if they sent enough men in, they'd have him eventually, like the resident evil films

Yes I am.

Sent enough men in? Yeah, a battalion straight up the middle? There was nothing to stop him escaping, he either thought his retinue could take them, or he was convinced they wouldn't find him.

No, they wouldn't have him eventually. As I keep saying, do you honestly think he'd just allow himself to be captured? That man would kill himself before falling into the hands of the "infidels".

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending