The Student Room Group

How do you become a brain surgeon?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by thegodofgod
Ahh - I thought he meant after med school :wink:

Ha easy mistake to make really. :tongue: I had to read it twice myself!
Reply 21
After you do your F1 and F2 years, you apply for neurosurgical training. Currently, this is 'run-through' which means unlike other surgical specialties, once you've got an initial training post in neurosurg, you're in for the long haul. Fascinating career that I love the sound of, but the number of people including neurosurg registrars who believe you're trying to fix the unfixable and your removal of a blood clot from the brain at 3am only results in the patient going to a long term care facility brain damaged make neurosurgery about the most self-selecting career you can find.
Dermatology > Neurosurgery
Step 1: Get into medical school
Step 2: Become doctor
Step 3: Become MRCS, then FRCS
Step 4: Win
Step 5: Profit
Reply 24
Step 1 - get a knife
Step 2 - get a brain
Step 3 - stab brain

you are now a brain surgeon
Original post by Alex D
After you do your F1 and F2 years, you apply for neurosurgical training. Currently, this is 'run-through' which means unlike other surgical specialties, once you've got an initial training post in neurosurg, you're in for the long haul. Fascinating career that I love the sound of, but the number of people including neurosurg registrars who believe you're trying to fix the unfixable and your removal of a blood clot from the brain at 3am only results in the patient going to a long term care facility brain damaged make neurosurgery about the most self-selecting career you can find.

So in 'run-through' training, do you apply for a more senior position every year - or do you go from beginning from end without having to apply for more senior positions?
Reply 26
So in 'run-through' training, do you apply for a more senior position every year - or do you go from beginning from end without having to apply for more senior positions?

Yep you go from beginning to end without having to apply for more senior positions. Contrast this with the others, whereby you apply for core surgical training (i.e. ST1 and ST2), then at ST3 you have to apply again for specific training, i.e. in plastics, general, paeds, cardiothoracics. That's when it gets seriously competitive, approaching 50:1 applicants to training posts for plastics and cardio.
Original post by Alex D
Yep you go from beginning to end without having to apply for more senior positions. Contrast this with the others, whereby you apply for core surgical training (i.e. ST1 and ST2), then at ST3 you have to apply again for specific training, i.e. in plastics, general, paeds, cardiothoracics. That's when it gets seriously competitive, approaching 50:1 applicants to training posts for plastics and cardio.

:hmmm:

But isn't cardiothoracic surgery dying down now anyway - so wouldn't there be a lower applicant : post ratio?
Oh, I feel really bad now. I've been completely misinterpreted. :frown: I'm not a cocky person in the slightest. I just thought I'd use Brain Surgeon instead of Neurosurgeon because Ive always seen TSR as a sort of informal forum and I didn't think people would get tetchy about it.

I see that "ease of communication" was the wrong term to use- I was quite tired :smile: please, I'm not the kind of person who is patronising, cocky etc. Although I can see why some of you think that. :frown:
Reply 29
Not as many as 20, surely? :eek: :lolwut:

I thought it was 2 years of foundation, then about 6-8 years of core/specialty surgical training?

include 5/6 years at medical school. Then foundation makes 7 or. Allow for an extra few years because you aren't guarenteed to get into surgical training so it might take a few years so call it 10 then add surgical training so thats about 17.
twenty might be a bit high but it allows for gap years, reaplying and anything else.
Reply 30
1. Obtain an apropriate undergraduate medical degree
2.Follow your F1 and F2 years
3.Get your speciality training for surgery and Neurosurgery
4. Start chopping up brains homeboy :afro:

IF YOU GET A DEGREE FROM OUTSIDE THE UK, EEA OR SWITZERLAND
1.Obtain some sort of Acceptable PMQ(Primary medical qualification)
2.Do your internship there
3. Take the PLAB test (Professional Linguistics Assessment Board)
4. Spend a year in an approved practice setting
5 Gain your full licence with the GMC
6. Start Speciality training
7.Start chopping up brains homeboy :afro:
I would go for the first route tbh. Study here if you can.

Good Luck :borat:
Reply 31
:hmmm:

But isn't cardiothoracic surgery dying down now anyway - so wouldn't there be a lower applicant : post ratio?
Similar number of applicants, fewer posts.
Reply 32
Original post by hassi94
He said after getting into med school.

So 6 years of med school. 2 years of foundation. and 7 years of specialty.

That's 15 alone - but that's if you do everything perfect and you get opportunities straight away.
You missed out the bits like get a masters, get a doctorate, get stuck with a LAT for a year, get a teaching post, get stuck in a staff grade job while you wait for your boss to die...
Reply 33
perform surgery on someone's brain.
Reply 34
Original post by im so academic
First get into Medicine.

and then get a brain, macca.
Reply 35
I remember when I wanted to be one, probably because of the name :rolleyes:. After researching it properly, I realised that I doubt I'd have a strong interest in it. Definitely want to go into something neurosciency though.
Reply 36
hmmm. why not get some first hand experience of brain surgery, macca?

it may 'elp in the long run.
Reply 37
i must be the only person who DIDN'T want to be a "heart" or "brain surgeon" before i started med school.
sheeesh they need to show other types of surgery on telly... like colorectal surgery... now THATS where the money is :colondollar:
Original post by Zafda
i must be the only person who DIDN'T want to be a "heart" or "brain surgeon" before i started med school.
sheeesh they need to show other types of surgery on telly... like colorectal surgery... now THATS where the money is :colondollar:

Nah, I didn't even want to be a surgeon.
Original post by Renal
You missed out the bits like get a masters, get a doctorate, get stuck with a LAT for a year, get a teaching post, get stuck in a staff grade job while you wait for your boss to die...

Haha yes hence why I put "but that's if you do everything perfect and you get opportunities straight away."

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending