The Student Room Group

Most intelligent, creative and well written TV shows

Scroll to see replies

Original post by evantej
Off topic: can I ask why you have 'Possible University Applications' in your signature when you have not even finished your GCSEs?

On topic: most of the suggestions so far are dire; South Park, though it can be very hit and miss, and The Mentalist are the only decent ones. I cannot really think of any intelligent shows off the top of my head. Where comedy is concerned, everything seems to be lowbrow to a large extent.

You don't like House? =[
Reply 21
i agree with the OP on lost, arrested development (their making a movie btw :smile: ) and himym
havent seen the others

but think House should be added, the way in which they have created dr house deserves credit
and Friends, for the way in which they captured a generations attention
and maybe californication as it seems much more down to earth then most hollywood set shows

and scrubs, i dont think i need to eleborate here!!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 22
True Blood is excellent, I second House and Misfits. How come nobody has suggested Dexter?! Absolutely brilliant, Season 4 was :coma:

Game of Thrones I am watching the first episode right now :tongue: And only halfway through the 1st book so I shan't be watching any more until I have finished it and read the others :smile: Promising so far though.
Reply 23
Oz, The Wire and The boondocks... THE MOST REALIST SERIES I EVER SEEN! Gotta give props to HBO to make it possible.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by tface
True Blood is excellent, I second House and Misfits. How come nobody has suggested Dexter?! Absolutely brilliant, Season 4 was :coma:

Game of Thrones I am watching the first episode right now :tongue: And only halfway through the 1st book so I shan't be watching any more until I have finished it and read the others :smile: Promising so far though.

I was going to suggest Dexter, but I haven't seen enough of it yet... it's one of the shows I'm watching with my boy. He loves it.
Reply 25
Original post by Sabriella
I was going to suggest Dexter, but I haven't seen enough of it yet... it's one of the shows I'm watching with my boy. He loves it.

Fair enough! Keep watching, it gets better and better.
Definitely Dexter.
As soon as I'm done with my exams, I'm going to catch up.

And How I Met Your Mother, imo. :smile:
Mad Men
The Office US
Reply 28
DEXTER is amazing totally addicted to it

True blood EPIC
Reply 29
Shows that stand out right now:

House,
Dexter,
American Dad,
Game of Thrones,
Big Bang Theory,

+

Battlestar Galactica because it's ****ing intense.
Reply 30
Seinfeld

"A show about nothing" -- say's it all tbh.
Reply 31
Original post by Sabriella
You don't like House? =[

Despite its name, it always struck me as one of these programmes which was too focussed on the main character; that is, everything is based around the main character and him being funny, setting up situations so he can be funny at the expense of everyone else. However, in Scrubs Dr Cox is one of many characters and does not dominate so even if you do not like him - and I personally think he is funnier than House, but that is by the by - then you can still enjoy the programme.

:frown:
House
Lost
Community
Modern Family
The Office (US)

Mad Men looks awesome :colondollar:
The Wire, Firefly, Buffy The Vampire Slayer, Band of Brothers, they're all awesome for different reasons.

Controversially the Gilmore Girls maybe? Love that show.
Green Wing.
Reply 35
I don't get the How I Met Your Mother popularity. Barney is the only character with anything about him, all the others are completely one dimensional, and even he is not enough to bring it up to enjoyable. House used to be good, but now it's just ridiculous. Doctor Who is the only program I follow seriously at the moment, though I imagine South Park is probably quite good as always.

If we're talking about of all time, Fawlty Towers and Blackadder were both very good, and I was actually very impressed by the stories and the writing in Angel.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 36
The Inbetweeners. I've not laughed so much in any other show. It's got realistic ending up in stupid situations - I love it :p:
Peep Show.
Reply 38
The Wire, Dexter, The Sopranos, Oz, American Dad, The Simpsons (mostly old episodes), South Park, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Misfits, The Walking Dead, Breaking Bad, Malcolm in the Middle, My Name is Earl, and Rome. If I had to choose to have my mind completely wiped of all memory of any of these shows so I could watch them again the top 3 choices would be:
1) Dexter
2) The Wire
3) South Park (maybe always sunny...)

I don't really see what all the fuss is about with Game of Thrones... I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt at the moment because HBO don't generally do crap stuff.
Reply 39
Original post by FyreFight
Peep Show.

Definitely, can't believe I forgot. Although it has gotten less and less funny as it has gone on and the actors profiles have gone up and they don't actually look like 'real' people anymore. Whenever I watch old episodes, especially the one where Jeremy eats the dog, it makes me cry with laughter, and now they are getting a bit old the avenues for messed up adventures get narrower and narrower. It's like the stars just turn up for their pay day because going on QI once a fortnight won't keep the lights on. I wish they'd done runs of 10 episodes instead of 6 back in the day.

Quick Reply

Latest