The Student Room Group

Going back to college after exams

After exams we're going to change timetables so we have lessons 3 hours long and generally nothing happens in them so I will be skipping a few.

Is anyone else going to do the same or are you all going to go back?

What happens if you don't turn up to any of them?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I just looked at your GCSE results and was wondering how long before did you start revising for them.

I've made notes on all my subjects except maths (you can't really make notes for maths except do past papers), and I was wondering do you think 3 weeks is enough to go over them and do past papers after they've sunk into my head.
Original post by ju1c
I just looked at your GCSE results and was wondering how long before did you start revising for them.

I've made notes on all my subjects except maths (you can't really make notes for maths except do past papers), and I was wondering do you think 3 weeks is enough to go over them and do past papers after they've sunk into my head.

I didn't revise for GCSEs.

I don't know.

I have AS History, Englit, Maths and A2 Maths and Psycholgoy exams coming up and I've barely even started revising.

For GCSE though, I would say a fortnight is enough to go over the content. There really isn't a lot to learn but going over summary notes really does help as it keeps the content refreshed in your mind.
Reply 3
Original post by paniking_and_not_revising
After exams we're going to change timetables so we have lessons 3 hours long and generally nothing happens in them so I will be skipping a few.

At our college if you didn't turn up for a certain subject's lessons you had to drop it the next year. I think if you didn't turn up for more than one subject you probably had to drop out. They're quite strict on that kind of thing at our college though :/

Everyone went back.
Original post by Folie
At our college if you didn't turn up for a certain subject's lessons you had to drop it the next year. I think if you didn't turn up for more than one subject you probably had to drop out. They're quite strict on that kind of thing at our college though :/

Everyone went back.

We have 5 3 hours sessions instead of normal lessons so what if I turned up for like 2 or 3 sessions and then didn't?

They don't even teach in summer. We did 'projects' last year.
During our transition period from AS to A2, we had to go to the starter A2 classes, from the end of exams, until the summer holiday started. If we didn't go, we were warned about attendance being monitored, and if we hadn't gone to a sufficient amount of the lessons, we'd not be able to progress onto the A2. :erm:
Reply 6

Well in maths we'll be doing the coursework, so if you don't turn up to the lessons and don't get it done that's a whole chunk of your course and overall grade at a big fat 0.
Original post by Nix-j-c
Well in maths we'll be doing the coursework, so if you don't turn up to the lessons and don't get it done that's a whole chunk of your course and overall grade at a big fat 0.

You actually work? In maths we went over a couple of topics we went over again in September and in Psychology we carried out an investigation which I just copied from what I had done from my previous college and spent our sessions playing on the computers or reading a book.
Reply 8
We have 5 3 hours sessions instead of normal lessons so what if I turned up for like 2 or 3 sessions and then didn't?

They don't even teach in summer. We did 'projects' last year.

I'm a bit confused - when you say 'last year' are you resitting your AS year or are you talking about the summer after GCSEs?

I don't deny that it felt a bit pointless going back after exams, but you need to go in to carry on to A2, so I don't think you have much choice.

Edit: just read your above post about moving college. If they did it one way at your old college, they might do it differently at your new one. People doing maths at my college also got their coursework done then, so it seems like that might be the usual time to get it done - in which case you really don't want to miss those few weeks. I really think you should just put up with it and go in - I actually quite enjoyed those few weeks as even though the work was boring, there wasn't as much pressure or any homework or anything. So make the most of that :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9
You actually work?

Yes, cos you can get a lot done in 6 weeks. Plus this year is the last year there's sixth formers at the three high schools cos the middle schools are closing so they make room for the year 7 and 8s by kicking us lot out so we're moving to a new building that's very nearly finished so they need to find things that they can easily do in that six weeks so IDK what the other subjects will do :s
Original post by Nix-j-c
Yes, cos you can get a lot done in 6 weeks. Plus this year is the last year there's sixth formers at the three high schools cos the middle schools are closing so they make room for the year 7 and 8s by kicking us lot out so we're moving to a new building that's very nearly finished so they need to find things that they can easily do in that six weeks so IDK what the other subjects will do :s

6 weeks? after we come back from exams we'll only have 3 and a half weeks and last year it was only 4 weeks.
Original post by Folie
I'm a bit confused - when you say 'last year' are you resitting your AS year or are you talking about the summer after GCSEs?

I don't deny that it felt a bit pointless going back after exams, but you need to go in to carry on to A2, so I don't think you have much choice.

Edit: just read your above post about moving college. If they did it one way at your old college, they might do it differently at your new one. People doing maths at my college also got their coursework done then, so it seems like that might be the usual time to get it done - in which case you really don't want to miss those few weeks. I really think you should just put up with it and go in - I actually quite enjoyed those few weeks as even though the work was boring, there wasn't as much pressure or any homework or anything. So make the most of that :smile:

No I know how it works at this college since I moved colleges right after taking my exams last year.

I started college again.

Great, I was really hoping for an early holiday.
Reply 12
6 weeks? after we come back from exams we'll only have 3 and a half weeks and last year it was only 4 weeks.

yeah ok maybe it's more like 5 (officially) but all of my exams (and the same applies for most the people in my classes) are in may so most of our teachers want us back before the official end of study leave so I think we'll end up going back after the next mid-term weeks holiday. so Including that, it'll actually be 6 or 7 weeks we'll have back.
Reply 13
Last year, after exams, we wen't back and started our A2 stuff in the same timetable as before. We did work but it was a bit over the place because of trips. For example, we went on a Biology trip for a whole week. But we did start work so that we didn't have to rush it when we came back. So it would have been a bit stupid just to miss days for the sake of missing days.
Original post by Tabers
Last year, after exams, we wen't back and started our A2 stuff in the same timetable as before. We did work but it was a bit over the place because of trips. For example, we went on a Biology trip for a whole week. But we did start work so that we didn't have to rush it when we came back. So it would have been a bit stupid just to miss days for the sake of missing days.

I was mostly going to skip them while I have my A2 exams so I can focus on them.

Original post by Nix-j-c
yeah ok maybe it's more like 5 (officially) but all of my exams (and the same applies for most the people in my classes) are in may so most of our teachers want us back before the official end of study leave so I think we'll end up going back after the next mid-term weeks holiday. so Including that, it'll actually be 6 or 7 weeks we'll have back.

What day do you guys finish?
We finish on July 6
Reply 15

What day do you guys finish?
We finish on July 6

err usually it's about the 20th july, plus our study leave officially ends some time in mid june but like i said, all my teachers want us back at the beginning of june cos our exams for them will have finished by then.
We start A2 properly so no choice really.
Last exam 27th May, return from study leave 9th June, end of summer term 21st July. So, I'm definately off back.
I'm not sure how it's going to work at our college but if we're starting A2 work then i'll go back, but if we're doing 'enrichment weeks' or some other made-up tripe then i'll skip some lessons :smile:
^^ Ditto. I've heard in English Literature we watch the movies of the books we've read this year. Not sure about History. My last exam is 21 June ( :frown: )

Quick Reply

Latest