The Student Room Group

Most intelligent, creative and well written TV shows

Scroll to see replies

Gilmore Girls!
Talking Heads
In my opinion I'd have to say

Gilmore Girls Basically because of their references to novels, films etc. The charachters and their connection and the little town Stars Hollow. I just really love the story. If ya want to neg me go right ahead cuz I'm not gonna change my opinion :wink:

How I Met Yout Mother same reason as most of the other posts, witty and love the flashback theme :yep:

Supernatural One of the best series ever! It is incredible and Eric Kripke is amazing for developing a five year plan and that is why I am only counting the 5 first seasons. The way they are told, Sam and Dean the new charachters that come into the picture like Bobby and Castiel. The brotherly love they share that is realistic and that I can relate to comparing it with me and my sister. Now that I am watching it all over again through season 1 you notice little things they say that you know is gonna happen in season 2 and even in season 5, it is simply amazing how they do that! So yeah Eric Kripke, Robert Singer and the rest of the crew behind the camera are awesome! Jared Padalecki and Jensen Aackles who made the charachters for what they are and even though they can be a bit posey they are great! Yeah I could keep rambling on but those are a few of the great things :smile:

Then I love a lot of other shows, but these three are my absolute favorites :biggrin:
I think The Middle deserves some recognition.
The character, Axl, is every teenage boy.

And Modern Family just because it's so funny!
What some of you guys think of as 'intelligent' or well written is pretty ****ing entertaining.

That The Wire only turned up like, what, once on the first page is just lulsy.

And Deadwood, as the wench above said.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by lukejoshjedi

Original post by lukejoshjedi
In your opinion - what show do you have in mind for having outstanding dialogue either in a comedic/comic sense, it's generally really funny, creative, referential and intelligent in its' writing and jokes (for Sitcoms for example) or in just the way that it's written in a dramatic sense

As a drama you think it's got realistic dialogue, making believable and real characters with great rapport / banter, as well as making for great dramatic scenes / drama in general

Great thread :thumbsup:
Reply 66
Mr Bean. :biggrin:
Reply 67
Sherlock
Doctor Who :tongue:
Outnumbered
Reply 68
It has to be Mad Men or The Sopranos.

Both are flawlessly written, brilliantly acted and all-round top, top shows.
Reply 69
The Walking Dead, The Killing and Mad Men (yeah I'm an AMC fan...)
Original post by Blueflare
Deadwood.
I don't think as many people know of it as should.
I'm not an expert on the Old West or anything, but it seems to be pretty historically accurate for a regular TV show - it's not over-done. It's also complicated with loads of people vying for power, the characters are complicated and they are all multi dimensional (not just "good guys" and "bad guys" - they are all good and bad, as real people are, especially when you put them in tough situations) and it deals with a lot of issues.
Also, busty hookers all over the place.

this limber-dicked cock-sucker has it aright.
Gotta go with House MD ! love the show.
What abouttt The Mentalist
Modern family is somewhat creative and unique
I hear game of thornes is really well written but havent had the chance to watch it.
Reply 72
Scrubs, House, The Walking Dead, Lie to Me, Dr. Who and Sherlock (the new one on BBC).
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 73
The West Wing :cool:
Definitely agree with Arrested Development.

Other shows are:

Firefly (so well written/acted/made) and Pushing Daisies (cutest show ever, really original and clever)
The wire
The Chicago code
The killing
The shield
Reply 76
30 Rock
Boardwalk Empire
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Deadwood
Frasier
Mad Men
Oz
Rome
Six Feet Under
Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip
The Office
The Shield
The Sopranos
The Walking Dead
The West Wing
The Wire
Treme
Original post by angger
I'd like to add The Good Wife and Breaking Bad
Lost, believable, really? :confused:

slightly out of context, I'd say it is yeah, the dialogue, character reactions / backstories in full make for believable realistic people in an unbelievable, surreal situation - you'd need to watch a few seasons to really see enough about the characters and empathise with them as realistic people though

Not exactly saying that Smoke that can grab people and cause physical damage is realistic, but you get my point I hope :cool:
Game of Thrones obviously.
Reply 79
Curb your enthusiasm. I've heard a lot about it, saw one ep the other night for the first time, definitely lived up to the hype.

Quick Reply

Latest