The Student Room Group

Why unemployed people abuse the system, and have no excuse for doing so

Scroll to see replies

Original post by efn
Her dad is just clever, people can trick the system only if you're smart but being on the dole and cheating money out of the government is absurd.

So its ok if you are clever / rich?
Really convincing argument :rolleyes:
TRoll
Reply 22
Original post by WelshBluebird
1 - there is a difference between people like that, and people who are genuinally in need of state help.
2 - There are not enough jobs out there. 2.5 million unemployed, 0.5 million jobs available. So what are you going to do with the 2 million people?

Reduce their benefits and make them do the most basic of jobs or send them on a work experience and cap their benefits
Original post by efn
Reduce their benefits and make them do the most basic of jobs or send them on a work experience and cap their benefits

1 - So make them starve? Despite what the media like to say, most people on JSA are not rolling in it, and quite often barely have enough to survive on (£60 a week is not that much).

2 - What about the people already doing those basic jobs? You going to make them unemployed?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 24
Original post by efn

You've still yet to post anything at all intelligent.
(Plus you completely ignored my post, well done for that)

Guess you are one of those kids who get everything they want bought for them by mummy and daddy and think they know everything about the world once they have read one article about it?
Reply 25
Original post by efn
Source - http://www.independent.ie/national-news/workers-turn-down-euro28000-job-because-they-get-more-on-dole-2573644.html

Jesus, I've never allowed myself be idle for a day in my life - 'nor have I sponged off the state/tax payer.

If people are abusing the system in other countries it's obvious they are abusing it in this country aswell, and frankly there is NO REASON to be unemployed.

Simple solution: stick a cap on how much social welfare a family can claim, unless they're on disability benefit. £5k + £2k per child. That means you don't have to worry about who can and can't claim what benefits, you just cut them off when they hit the maximum.

your views? Oh by the way I await the thunderstorm of neg reps from people on the dole, even though you really shouldn't be on a student forum :rolleyes:

There are well over 2.5 million unemployed, and you're making your case with the story of two people? Grow up.
Reply 26
1 - So make them starve? Despite what the media like to say, most people on JSA are not rolling in it.

2 - What about the people already doing those basic jobs? You going to make them unemployed?

Most people on JSA aren't looking for work, they just make up bs stories how they've been looking for work over the previous two weeks so they can claim their £100 and something. At least making them realize the importance of getting into work will start motivating them to not be a lazy ****...

And there are other methods i.e. starting your own business up, but that's clearly out the window when people on the dole can't even be bothered to do anything
Reply 27
Original post by efn
Her dad is just clever, people can trick the system only if you're smart but being on the dole and cheating money out of the government is absurd.

haahahahaaa, ohhh dear Lord. Are you for real?!

Re-read your post you hypocrite lololol.
Reply 28
Original post by Tommyjw
You've still yet to post anything at all intelligent.
(Plus you completely ignored my post, well done for that)

Guess you are one of those kids who get everything they want bought for them by mummy and daddy and think they know everything about the world once they have read one article about it?

As i've stated in my ealier post, my mum and dad don't pay for my things, I have a job
Reply 29
Original post by efn
Most people on JSA aren't looking for work, they just make up bs stories how they've been looking for work over the previous two weeks so they can claim their £100 and something. At least making them realize the importance of getting into work will start motivating them to not be a lazy ****...

And there are other methods i.e. starting your own business up, but that's clearly out the window when people on the dole can't even be bothered to do anything

And your proof of this is what? A story in a newspaper about two foreign people who lived in Ireland.
Original post by efn

1 - Do you have any evidence for that? No. Some people do abuse it yes. But they are the minority.
2 - its easy saying £100 for 2 weeks. But do you have any idea how difficult it can be / is to live on that amount? No
3 - many do realise the importance, cos many want to get into work.
4 - Because of course, starting your own business is easy and possible for everyone :rolleyes:. Also, I somehow doubt there is room in any market for 2 million people to start businesses.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 31
Original post by efn
As i've stated in my ealier post, my mum and dad don't pay for my things, I have a job

Good for you.

Now please comment on my main point.
Less jobs than there are unemployed people.
Massive cuts and business's going out of business means massive 'chunks' of unemployed people. Where do you expect these to go?

And still yet to explain to me how disability benefits are different (according to your logic) People use both benefits systems for good reasons, and people use both for bad reasons. So i'd like your logical reasoning as to why you ignore disability benefits.

Well.. actually.. i already know the answer. You read one article about the topic and stuck up their on your high horse you think you know everything about the topic.

Shame really, i expected a reasonable debate in this thread.
Reply 32
It's not just the unemployed who play the system, rich people pay less tax than people on minimum wage due to various methods. Let's hope you never find yourself in a situation like this.
Reply 33
I would have taken the job.
Reply 34
Hahaha, "My mum and dad don't pay for my things, I have a job" How did you get that mate, through your parents' mates?

Getting jobs these days is hard enough. Heck, I wanted to work for free as a volunteer (build up my PS) and no-one took me for 6 months. I love how both examples used were of non-british nationals, ever heard of Easington mate?
Original post by mysterd
Hahaha, "My mum and dad don't pay for my things, I have a job" How did you get that mate, through your parents' mates?

Getting jobs these days is hard enough. Heck, I wanted to work for free as a volunteer (build up my PS) and no-one took me for 6 months. I love how both examples used were of non-british nationals, ever heard of Easington mate?

This. I can't even get a voluntary placement because I'm not experienced enough. :emo:
Reply 36

Please don't give the taxpayers alliance any time of day.
They are as bad as people like efn for labelling everyone on benefits as "scroungers".
Despite their name, they do not represent most taxpayers, only the richer section of society.
Reply 38
Please don't give the taxpayers alliance any time of day.
They are as bad as people like efn for labelling everyone on benefits as "scroungers".
Despite their name, they do not represent most taxpayers, only the richer section of society.

I just googled the book (I knew the title already) and that was the first one I clicked. Forget the TPA, concentrate on the book.
Reply 39
I thought the government were stopping tax credits?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending