The Student Room Group

Girlfriends parents are fat and it makes me feel awkward..

My girlfriend is slightly overweight, but nothing serious. However, her parents are morbidly obese according to my BMI guesstimate and don't care about their health and general wellbeing at all (just eat junk and drink lots) this is the complete opposite of myself as I take pride in my appearance, health and fitness and am well built. I'm also a qualified personal trainer which I do part time as I really enjoy it, alongside my main job. They know all about this. Isn't this just too much of a barrier between me and her parents?

They also seem very fatalistic and stuck in dead end jobs and extremely pessimistic which is the complete opposite of me. According to my g.f I earn way over what her parents earn put together and I think they know this judging by my lifestyle, house and car etc....

I wish her parent's never knew all this, but my girlfriend told them....

Seems like there is so many things they may be jealous of..

Do you think I could have a decent relationship with parents who seem the complete opposite of me?

Scroll to see replies

Troll. Or you're just a prick.
Erm.... its not them you are in a relationship with.. its your girlfriend.
Reply 3
If you like the girl, her parents appearance and lifestyle should be none of your concern. I'm sure they would want to live your life as much you you'd like to live theirs. Who are you to judge?
Reply 4
And..? Why does it matter?
Reply 5
Original post by mehhh.....hi.

To progress further I feel I need to have a relationship with her family.
I heard girls usually end up looking like their mothers.
yes... her parents are clearly jealous of you :rolleyes:
Reply 8
Original post by ArcadiaHouse

No need to show your insecurity of your own body on here.. Only someone like that would become clearly bothered by this..

Original post by DiZZeeKiD
If you like the girl, her parents appearance and lifestyle should be none of your concern. I'm sure they would want to live your life as much you you'd like to live theirs. Who are you to judge?

I am tlaking about it as a bigger picture, as in me and her family seem to have farr too any differences to have a good relationship.

Original post by fran.ha

To progress further in our relationship I feel I need to have a relationship with her family.
Reply 9
Original post by Lewroll
I heard girls usually end up looking like their mothers.

I'm going to keep her slim seen as i'm a personal trainer and monitor all of her macronutrients and exercise regime for her.
Original post by Anonymous
No need to show your insecurity of your own body on here.. Only someone like that would become clearly bothered by this..

I am tlaking about it as a bigger picture, as in me and her family seem to have farr too any differences to have a good relationship.

To progress further in our relationship I feel I need to have a relationship with her family.

Well, if they're willing to accept you into their home despite your obvious disillusions of grandeur, you should be willing to accept them for who they are and be grateful. If its such a big deal, admit to yourself that you're shallow and stop seeing the girl.
Reply 11
Well awkwardness is always going to arise from people with opposing beliefs and morals.

Just like if you were a Christian dating a Muslim, or if you were a 360 gamer and her parents had a PS3
Reply 12
I'm going to keep her slim seen as i'm a personal trainer and monitor all of her macronutrients and exercise regime for her.

I think you had a few of them fooled until this.
Reply 13
I'm not fat but the OP is grossly judgemental.

How is this judgemental? It's fact...

FACT her parents are morbidly obese. (can tell by looking at them)
FACT her parents are unhealthy (can tell by analysing their diets)
FACT don't care about their health and wellbeing (or else they'd eat right and exercise and make better decisions)
FACT they are fatalistic (always spend so long telling people why they can't do something or that it'll go wrong)

How am I being judgemental if all what I said are FACTs?
Reply 14
"Only thing ya ever did was make a hot daughter! That's it! THAT IS IT!!"
Hey don't complain, people like them mean you have a job! What you should do is fatten them up and then offer to train them, for a fee of course.
Reply 16
Original post by DiZZeeKiD
Well, if they're willing to accept you into their home despite your obvious disillusions of grandeur, you should be willing to accept them for who they are and be grateful. If its such a big deal, admit to yourself that you're shallow and stop seeing the girl.

I don't have delusions of grandeur. I have self belief, drive, confidence and back it up through my life achievements...

You sound insecure and instantly label someone who is becoming successful as delusions of grandeur..

I am bothered by the fact that you're judging your girlfriend's parents when really you should only be concerned about your girlfriend. What business is it of yours if that's how they choose to live? I can't believe you're so arrogant as to think they'd be jealous of your meaningless amenities such as your house and car. And I'm quite secure in myself, thanks.
Reply 18
Original post by justinsmith
Hey don't complain, people like them mean you have a job! What you should do is fatten them up and then offer to train them, for a fee of course.

Nah, that would be awkward training them! Also I would feel like I had to give them sessions for a greatly reduced rate. I have enough clients so don't want to earn less!

How??? You just sound jealous and insecure.

Original post by mehhh.....hi.

Original post by fran.ha

Derp, but what about his gf and her relationship with her parents? Don't you think that they could screw it up by not liking him? :rolleyes: Would it kill for some people to stop and think for a second....

I'm not fat but the OP is grossly judgemental.

How?
As you have not met them you can not pass an opinion and have to go with what OP says...unless you are arrogant enough to think you are some how right.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest