The Student Room Group

Girlfriends parents are fat and it makes me feel awkward..

Scroll to see replies

how old are you OP?
Reply 21
Original post by Jimbo1234
How??? You just sound jealous and insecure.

Derp, but what about his gf and her relationship with her parents? Don't you think that they could screw it up by not liking him? :rolleyes: Would it kill for some people to stop and think for a second....

How?
As you have not met them you can not pass an opinion and have to go with what OP says...unless you are arrogant enough to think you are some how right.

Finally someone who isn't saying I shouldn't judge people then judging me in the same post.....
Reply 22
Original post by llamalad200
how old are you OP?

19, almost 20, why?
Original post by Anonymous
I don't have delusions of grandeur. I have self belief, drive, confidence and back it up through my life achievements...

You sound insecure and instantly label someone who is becoming successful as delusions of grandeur..

Thats fair enough, however, if you want to build a relationship with someone, you shouldn't be so quick to judge those who haven't been as fortunate as you. Just give them a chance, you might learn you have something in common.

Instantly labelling me as insecure because I don't agree with you? Pot, kettle, black? Grow up man.
19, almost 20, why?

you sound like you're going to have a successful future then. i see no reason why you shouldn't feel awkward. i would! it's almost as if they don't care about their health because they know they'll get support form the NHS if anything went wrong. that itself irritates me too. :]
Original post by ArcadiaHouse
I'm not fat but the OP is grossly judgemental.

Pun intended? :wink:
Original post by lazy smurf
Pun intended? :wink:

You'd butter believe it :wink:
How is this judgemental? It's fact...

FACT her parents are morbidly obese. (can tell by looking at them)
FACT her parents are unhealthy (can tell by analysing their diets)
FACT don't care about their health and wellbeing (or else they'd eat right and exercise and make better decisions)
FACT they are fatalistic (always spend so long telling people why they can't do something or that it'll go wrong)

How am I being judgemental if all what I said are FACTs?

FACT it does not matter to you.
As someone else said, you are in a relationship with her, not her parents.

Don't you think that they could screw it up by not liking him?

And where does he suggest her parents don't like him?
If anything it appears to be the other way around (he doesn't like them).
(edited 12 years ago)
Get rid.

You'll meet plenty of hard bodies in the gym going places, she'll probably pile it on in time if they are genetically predisposed.

Parents always affect their children's lives - and when one of them dies the other will drag her down.

It's a nice idea, but the sole reason to do well in life is to avoid the working class mentality - don't let yourself down by getting involved with that kind of crowd. Fat = lazy = failure.

Don't let some PC idiots kid you otherwise.

Jealous of ...? The OP is insecure by having to compare his lifestyle to that of his gf's parents to assert that he is somehow 'better' than them, or her family isn't worthy of him. Ergo: prick.

Also:

Anonymous

I'm going to keep her slim seen as i'm a personal trainer and monitor all of her macronutrients and exercise regime for her.

Smacks of 'control freak'.
You'd butter believe it :wink:

Weigh Hay! :wink:
Reply 31
Original post by llamalad200
you sound like you're going to have a successful future then. i see no reason why you shouldn't feel awkward. i would! it's almost as if they don't care about their health because they know they'll get support form the NHS if anything went wrong. that itself irritates me too. :]

Yes, I know exactly what you mean. It annoys me when we spend billions on entirely preventable conditions such as treating obesity related conditions, and clients have to wait months in severe pain for surgery which was unforeseeable.. Our body is the most important thing we have, I just can't understand people who don't treat it like that.

One thing in particular annoys me: when people become disabled/limited by a condition which is preventable. I can't imagine how someone disabled out of no fault of their own would feel if they saw that person with which is was entirely preventable. I feel that her parents could actually (sadly) end up like this...
Reply 32
Personally I would feel more uncomfortable if I was the fat one and my boyfriend's family all had perfect figures and were super fit :dontknow:
I'm going to keep her slim seen as i'm a personal trainer and monitor all of her macronutrients and exercise regime for her.

Rofl. You have to be a troll?
To progress further I feel I need to have a relationship with her family.

It's not a huge deal to have everything in common with them. As long as you guys don't hate each other, it shouldn't be a problem. Even if you do hate each other, unless they have a rational reason to (like you're an axe murderer and they think their daughter's life is in danger) then it will not affect your relationship with your girlfriend.
Reply 35
Jealous of ...? The OP is insecure by having to compare his lifestyle to that of his gf's parents to assert that he is somehow 'better' than them, or her family isn't worthy of him. Ergo: prick.

Also:

Smacks of 'control freak'.

Nice use of Pop-Psychology there, Dr ArcadiaHouse.

I'm more successful than them at half my age so it's up to others whether they make the assumption success=being better.

Me, personally. I see it as far more than monetary. I see it as the numnber of people's lives you can change for the better, how you change the world for the better, how you make your mark, how happy you are, the quality of your relationships with your family, friends and loved ones and how fullfilled you are.

And my girlfriend likes me to control her diet and exercise programme as she has seem great benefits. She actually asked me to..
Reply 36
Original post by Zottula
Personally I would feel more uncomfortable if I was the fat one and my boyfriend's family all had perfect figures and were super fit :dontknow:

Out of interest:does this affect your choice of potential mates?
Reply 37
Original post by CharlieBee_90
It's not a huge deal to have everything in common with them. As long as you guys don't hate each other, it shouldn't be a problem. Even if you do hate each other, unless they have a rational reason to (like you're an axe murderer and they think their daughter's life is in danger) then it will not affect your relationship with your girlfriend.

Thank you for your help, really is appreciated. This is the first time I have come across a situation like this.
Reply 38

Derp, but what about his gf and her relationship with her parents? Don't you think that they could screw it up by not liking him? :rolleyes: Would it kill for some people to stop and think for a second....

How?
As you have not met them you can not pass an opinion and have to go with what OP says...unless you are arrogant enough to think you are some how right.

I did think, thank you very much. I was just baffled as to why anyone should really care about someones parents if they loved the person enough. I wouldn't care if my boyfriends family were a bunch of banjo playing hillbillies - because he isn't and I love him anyway. It shouldn't really matter what their family is like...
Reply 39
Original post by fran.ha
I did think, thank you very much. I was just baffled as to why anyone should really care about someones parents if they loved the person enough. I wouldn't care if my boyfriends family were a bunch of banjo playing hillbillies - because he isn't and I love him anyway. It shouldn't really matter what their family is like...

If you're hoping to take it further, it's good to get on with the other members of both families otherwise it will divide your family when you get married. Marriage is supposed to bring people together, not divide.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending